3 exaggerated truths from UFC FN 181

yes
no
Izzy x Anderson was a different ballpark. Izzy wanted to make it a show, a display of skills. Anderson was younger too (when you're at that age, a couple of years will make a shitload of difference). Izzy x Anderson was a passing of the torch. Uriah x Anderson was a goodbye that should have been a three rounder. Can't even compare both fights.

I love ThugNasty but the Khabib comparison is excessive. Then again the title is "exaggerated truths", so I should probably shut the fuck up.

I think Hardy will absolutely be a ranked fighter with his power, athleticism, and mindset, but I agree the asthma will definitely be an issue against some of the elites in the division. Very unlikely he'd ever be champ, but still what he's doing with as little MMA experience as he has is extremely impressive IMO.

I put that word in more for that comparison than any. The response is expected.

I agree, Hardy is generally under rated. People don’t like him because of his past but he’s pretty darn good.

Greg Hardy will never be a top fighter. His cardio is so bad, he was panting and gasping for breath long after the fight finished. In a previous fight he even needed an inhaler. As soon as he meets tough competition that can survive his onslaught and take advantage of his exhaustion he will meet a wall.

Bryce Mitchell is the next khabib. Undefeated. Relentless takedowns. Even figure 4’s the legs.

Uriah Hall did as well as Israel against Silva. Israel just made the fight more interesting. Uriah’s finish was 4th round, maybe Israel would have finished if he’d gone to 4th.

thoughts on these? (I expect lots of hate on the Bryce Mitchell comment)

many other exaggerated truths
Mitchell got exposed, even in victory.

Looks more like a Tommy Speer than Khabib

Mitchell’s a weakling. He’a built like a teen girl. He needs to up the dosage and hit the weights, or cut some fat and go down a div. If he remains a weakling, he’ll get destroyed by another good (but stronger) wrestler.
Are you just basing this on looking at his body? He's completely ragdolled and manhandled all of the 145ers he's faced, including guys like Fili, Rosa, and Moffett who are pretty big for the division. It's completely baseless to call him a "weakling". Just cause he isn't jacked like Paulo Costa in no way means he is a weakling.

Having said that, I do agree that he could probably make 135. He would be an absolute force down there... but hard to say how much the weight cut would impact his performance.

Mitchell’s a weakling. He’a built like a teen girl. He needs to up the dosage and hit the weights, or cut some fat and go down a div. If he remains a weakling, he’ll get destroyed by another good (but stronger) wrestler.
Actually they were talking about how he was working out and becoming stronger.
Fili may be a striker but he is in Alpha so you can bet he’s got amazing wrestling defence otherwise the whole team would spend practice ground and pounding him.

Bryce is a redneck MURICAN so people won't have issue with him being on top doing little damage. He won't get the hate other grapplers get because he's american. A redneck american in fact.

that’s not true. He’s active and exciting in the ground always advancing and those guys are fun to watch.

It’s has nothing to do with being American. You’re just name calling and bringing race and nationality in it.

I bet Ben Askren would have similar stats

The only record Ben Asskreme has in the UFC is longest nap time after that knee..

Cant stand that guy...wish he didnt retire would of liked my shot at him ...

that’s not true. He’s active and exciting in the ground always advancing and those guys are fun to watch.

It’s has nothing to do with being American. You’re just name calling and bringing race and nationality in it.
Where did I bring in race? Khabib is also white. Khabib has critics and he does all of that above and more. Bryce is active but his top control looks weak from a damage standpoint. Just go back into the thread. I said I like his style, but many of the stand n bang won't but he'll get a pass from those people because he's 'MURICAN!

Agreed. His TD shots are somewhat telegraphed because he doesn't have the striking or setups. I think he'll be middle of the pack guy, Top 10 guy, fringe top 5 guy. I don't see anything really special about the guy. Don't get me wrong, I think he's good. I just don't think he's generational or championship level. The thing I like most about him is his gas tank and top control. If he can improve and find ways to do damage on top, maybe he breaks out of the mold I casted. I love to be proved wrong. I prefer grapplers like khabib and a dude like him that goes for it(even if he's not as good)
My only thing on this comment is does Khabib set up his shots? He pushes people back and then grabs a leg but I don’t think he sets them up. Rarely does he get his first attempt, but all he’s going for is getting his hands on the person. Then the takedown will follow.

Where did I bring in race? Khabib is also white. Khabib has critics and he does all of that above and more. Bryce is active but his top control looks weak from a damage standpoint. Just go back into the thread. I said I like his style, but many of the stand n bang won't but he'll get a pass from those people because he's 'MURICAN!

All great fighters have irrational haters and khabib is no different.
Bryce is young. Only fought for 5 years. He’ll be better every time we see him.
Obviously you can’t compare the two guys. It’s ridiculous but Bryce is doing great so far.

mans I thought you called him a hillbilly. Maybe it was someone else but that’s the race I was referring to.

All great fighters have irrational haters and khabib is no different.
Bryce is young. Only fought for 5 years. He’ll be better every time we see him.
Obviously you can’t compare the two guys. It’s ridiculous but Bryce is doing great so far.

mans I thought you called him a hillbilly. Maybe it was someone else but that’s the race I was referring to.
I called him a redneck.

And yes I agree I don't think he'll be championship level but I think he'll be a fun grappler to watch.

But all I'm saying his redneck compatriots that hate the khabeebers will like him because he's murican and shares the same conservative values he shares.

My only thing on this comment is does Khabib set up his shots? He pushes people back and then grabs a leg but I don’t think he sets them up. Rarely does he get his first attempt, but all he’s going for is getting his hands on the person. Then the takedown will follow.
Yes khabib sets up his shots. He uses a series of feints too. I'll link you to a few whenever I'm back on my computer. He's not as dumb as people think he is. I doubt bryce could shoot a takedown for an ankle pick from another state like khabib does and make something out of it.

If you're going to call him the next khabib, there has to be more than gas tank, top control. He has to show the ability to dominate, not take damage. The understanding of using the fence.the fight IQ, etc.

I called him a redneck.

And yes I agree I don't think he'll be championship level but I think he'll be a fun grappler to watch.

But all I'm saying his redneck compatriots that hate the khabeebers will like him because he's murican and shares the same conservative values he shares.

maybe but that’s kind of how prizefighting has always been. From home town to country to nationality. It’s even more bias outside of America for supporting fighters.

say a popular Russian fighter vs popular American fighter. About ever single Russian fan will support the Russian.
Not all Americans will root for the American.

bit I see what you’re saying.

Bryce is a redneck MURICAN so people won't have issue with him being on top doing little damage. He won't get the hate other grapplers get because he's american. A redneck american in fact.
People like Khabib, despite him being Russian, and I’m one of them. They might be more tolerant of Bryces fighting style but the outcry against him being compared to Khabib is reasonable.

Marketing monster pushing the narrative and trying to make a star out of him, Bryce will be a mid-tier fighter at his peak. Fili was a handful and he’s not even ranked. As much as the baldfather would love otherwise, it just isn’t in the cards.

Wait n see.

You ever see that hokey pokey uppercut Khabib does? He does that on purpose, so people can think he's level changing. It's a level change feint.

Here's the dip I'm talking about

The feint overhand right he gave conor was because Conor thought he was going for a level Change.

Bryce does none of this.

Then there's this thread I made

Khabib throws a strike while moving his head, positioning up and across the body. This opens up space for Al to lock into the underhook, forcing him to stand up straight. As soon as Khabib feels it lock in, he begins to angle away and throw on the body-lock. Al keeps a wide base while lowering himself a bit to keep his hips lower than Khabib’s (a defense to prevent Khabib from lifting easily), but Khabib can then shuffle to the outside and use the outside trip with ease.

Iaquinta attempts to use an extremely shallow underhook + grip-fighting as a defense, looking to control Khabib’s wrist to prevent the bodylock. Once again, Khabib is at an angle towards his own underhook before stepping into his single leg lift and sweeping the right leg of Iaquinta out.

McGregor looks to break Khabib’s posture by pushing down on his head, hoping that Khabib will not have enough drive to move to the bodylock or double leg. Khabib simply moves to the single leg, and McGregor is too late on any sort of grip-fighting defense. Khabib finishes it with the lift and dump.

Khabib’s step-in and lift feint draws McGregor’s handfight and circle away defense, which Khabib corrals into an outside trip, leaving him in a dominant position.

Read more at the fightsite : https://www.thefight-site.com/home/ufc-254-khabib-nurmagomedov-cage-wrestling

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...l-safe-when-youre-not.4141003/#post-162239781

Yes khabib sets up his shots. He uses a series of feints too. I'll link you to a few whenever I'm back on my computer. He's not as dumb as people think he is. I doubt bryce could shoot a takedown for an ankle pick from another state like khabib does and make something out of it.

If you're going to call him the next khabib, there has to be more than gas tank, top control. He has to show the ability to dominate, not take damage. The understanding of using the fence.the fight IQ, etc.
It was mostly just a side point. I love Khabib and have been on his bandwagon since fight 1 when my brother picked the other guy. I don’t really believe the comparison is due, but I couldn’t help being reminded of him when watching.

A
Marketing monster pushing the narrative and trying to make a star out of him, Bryce will be a mid-tier fighter at his peak. Fili was a handful and he’s not even ranked. As much as the baldfather would love otherwise, it just isn’t in the cards.

Wait n see.
Are you saying I’m saying this as a marketer?

Back