3, 5 min rounds or 5, 3 min rounds?

I say get rid of rounds all together. Today's athletes are very well conditioned so it wouldn't be a slop fest like 15 years ago would have been. Breaking wills would become a much bigger part of the game.

Or this ^^

I say get rid of rounds all together. Today's athletes are very well conditioned so it wouldn't be a slop fest like 15 years ago would have been. Breaking wills would become a much bigger part of the game.

There are a lot of boring fights that need that between round standup to keep things going. A lot of experts at doing "just enough" to not get stood up by the refs.

5 minute rounds. Need more time for mat work. The last thing you want is more rounds (shorter too) to confuse the judges further.

The very thing that is 'confusing' the judges is that the rounds are too long and there aren't enough of them.

The 10 point must system was developed for boxing with the assumption that with 8-12 rounds (used to be 15, actually), close rounds that were split by judges would sort themselves out over the course of a fight.

Boxing judges disagree on rounds all of the time. But in a 12 round fight, you can split a couple of rounds and still usually come up with the same outcome. In a 3 round fight when the judges disagree on a single round it often makes a mess of the whole thing.

Add to that the fact that in a 5 minute round a judge needs to make a determination of the winner when the momentum might switch two or three or four times, or one fighter might win the first four or even four and a half minutes fairly clearly and then get pummeled for the last minute or even thirty seconds, and you're really expecting a lot for a judge to pick the 'right' winner.

why would you want 8 3 min rounds? that would increase the odds of having draws.

I would have to try it out with the 5 x 3, it sounds interesting.

why would you want 8 3 min rounds? that would increase the odds of having draws.

One minute "sudden death" round. Keep you at the 25 minute limit already put in place by the athletic commissions, and would be crazy exciting.

more fights should be 5 x 5 mins rounds (for co main sometimes)

more fights should be 5 x 5 mins rounds (for co main sometimes)

I agree. I love 5 round fights and there have been a lot of good non main event fights recently. two 5 rounders per card would be awesome.

5 minute rounds. Need more time for mat work. The last thing you want is more rounds (shorter too) to confuse the judges further.

Its easier to judge a smaller amount of action time.

I'd rather judge a 3 minute round of a close fight than a 5 minute round.

3 minute rounds would be much better.

Fighters will be more active n wouldn't have to pace themselves as much

There would be less bs decisions as judges would have more shorter rounds to determine a winner

I would have to try it out with the 5 x 3, it sounds interesting.

They should do like in tuf.

Have even number of rounds n if it's draw have a do or die round to determine the winner

3min rounds is a terrible idea.

Gimme two 10 min rounds over that.

3 minute rounds would favor strikers and wouldn't give much time to work for submissions! Can't shorten the rounds just to make it easier on the judges they should just judge the fight as a whole!

Also I think 2 minutes between rounds would help bring more action

There are a lot of boring fights that need that between round standup to keep things going. A lot of experts at doing "just enough" to not get stood up by the refs.

Well, if you can't get up, that's your problem. Your going to tire faster, your will is going to break, etc. No rounds (but long time limit) would force the guy on top to go for a finish as well.

No rounds. 15min straight for non-title and 25min straight for title.

That bump sucks, man.

Shit thread then... Very much still a shit thread. 4 months changed nothing.

Back