2nd day of grappling, put kid in an ankle lock.

How do you guys feel about kneebars? It seems like they'd be only about as dangerous as an armbar as long as you don't twist the knee but I've never been caught in one or applied one successfully before.

The reason I think people are a little uneasy about applying leg locks is because as compared to arm locks/shoulder locks etc etc where there is pain BEFORE damage, with heel hooks and knee bars there is pain AFTER damage, and with it attacking and damaging your knee, which is a beaten up place for a lot of people, thats an injury they nor anyone else really wants. With toe holds and foot locks its a fairly weak area, so although pain comes first, if its cranked things go from bad to worse really fast.

You did a leg lock.....that you learned from youtube.....on your second day of grappling....to a kid you out weight by 100lbs.....that has been doing this for 3 months.....

.....seriously?

I agree that its okay for white belts to learn leg locks and drill and practice them, but after only grappling for days? not weeks, but days? not even a stripe on the belt?

Leg locks are serious stuff. You need to have proper instruction on something like that and have been doing this a while I feel like. If you're gonna try something you learned from youtube, try it out on a higher belt and ask them for pointers on it. I look stuff up on youtube, but mostly legit black belts like Saulo, and its mostly sweeps and escapes, etc.

Im a BJJ guy and I think the stigma about leglocks doesnt come from the fact that they are dangerous but from the idea you can defeat someone from guard.

I myself know first hand how dangerous Achilles locks can be, and have had my foot ripped apart by one in a comp. But it was hurting and I knew I was gonna get fucked up but I am a stubborn dude. I think Achilles/kneebars/toeholds are fine for rolling and that only heelhooks should be trained in special circumstances. However I also think its a dick move to try on a teenager during your first lesson and then being proud of it...

He did it on a 16 year old kid he outweighed by 100 lbs who has been training for 3 months. What the hell does the kid know about ankle locks other than to tap? I don't find this too surprising at all really.

ah good catch, I forgot the dude had 100lbs on him.

Still after 3 months I have trouble imagining some fat dude shooting for my achilles if it's his 2nd day. I just get the feeling he'd lose it too easily.

people should refrain themselves from applying ankle lock on newbie especially if they have not been taught the proper way of escaping it.

do the wrong escape and you can ruin your knee.

Straight ankle lock is legal at every belt level of competition, learn it and it's defenses (IBJJF rules).

Some gyms have a no leg lock policy for leg locks, check before rolling, but everyone should be allowed to do straight ankle locks, you have to face it in comp, so you better be training them.

I tell all white belts from the 0-6 month stage that they shouldn't do any leg locks at all. There are a select few that are cool, train a lot and are there to learn not submit people, so most of the senior guys let them do leg locks on them. But for 2 fresh guys to do ankle locks is not very smart imo. If the other guy dosen't know how to defend the ankle lock he may end up rolling, while you maintain his ankle, and tear his own knee not smart.

But for 2 fresh guys to do ankle locks is not very smart imo. If the other guy dosen't know how to defend the ankle lock he may end up rolling, while you maintain his ankle, and tear his own knee not smart.

That's your opponents problem to deal with.

when I decided that i wanted to learn leg locks i went to gokor (dvd) and learned the leg locks and most important the defense.

That's your opponents problem to deal with.

Not really.

In training, there is such thing as "that's your opponents problem to deal with" mentality.

You have to nurture and look after every team members especially the beginners.

Especially when you are an assistant instructor like BadboyJg.

I tell all white belts from the 0-6 month stage that they shouldn't do any leg locks at all. There are a select few that are cool, train a lot and are there to learn not submit people, so most of the senior guys let them do leg locks on them. But for 2 fresh guys to do ankle locks is not very smart imo. If the other guy dosen't know how to defend the ankle lock he may end up rolling, while you maintain his ankle, and tear his own knee not smart.

I agree completely. That's why I don't catch leglocks on beginners because I'm afraid they'll try to roll out of the sub the wrong way or put more pressure on it and cause an injury.

TRANSLATION: "I just tapped a guy out for the first time in my life, and I wanted to brag about it."

Well done, son. Have a cookie.

I didn't read all the replies... but this thread is just a troll right?

achilles locks are fine

just no heel hooks

Meh. BJJ guys are too timid about foot and leg locks, if you apply pressure slowly they have time to tap. If they don't tap because they are being a training hero/tough guy and are ignorant of their danger...too fucking bad. I mean cmon each and every lock that we do has the ability to break something, hows a foot lock any different?

That being said even now, in mma fights I cannot bring myself to go for a heel hook. Not sure why its just a nasty sub that is my personal worst nightmare so I can't bring myself to do it. Thats my choice but I still know how to defend it. Matt Horwich is the same way about certain elbows and techniques I remember a story about him telling Matt Lindland "You can really hurt a guy doing that" after one of his fights where he ignored the shouts for elbows :)

I'm in the exact same boat as you man. Heel hooks are like absolute last resort, even during a MMA for me. I also think BJJ should relax a bit on leg locks.

if you consider your training partner as an opponent, you may be training with the wrong mindset.

I'm sorry. Partner, training buddy, adversary, whatever.

Bottomline is in this game, sometimes you are going to have to hurt to learn. Ideally, everyone should learn how escapes first, but since BJJ instructors don't even like teaching ankle locks, why would you expect students to learn the escapes properly.

Sometimes my opponent rolls to get out of an achilles lock. If I have it on correctly I can usually stop that from happening or transition to another straight footlock with no damage, but if my opponent hurts himself I feel just as bad as a noob who tries to stand out of an armbar as opposed to stacking into it. I just give them a warning afterwards.

achilles locks are fine

just no heel hooks

I love achilles locks and kneebars. I wouldn't even do catch and release on heel hooks in the gym, hte other guy may roll or spaz the wrong way, just not worth it for me. I would do it maliciously in a streetfight if Im caught in that position (save the no bjj for the street garbage). I don't think however anyone should be trying a sub in sparring that they dont even know what it is.

In a humorous thought, I always thought that if Palhares wanted to cause a ruckus and bump up his fanfare, he should bring a crutch to the cage with him and hand it to the other guy before his fights. Not condoning not letting go after the tap though...just a big fan of his.

Back