2nd day of grappling, put kid in an ankle lock.

Apple Lotion

White Belt
Reaction score
I did my 2nd round of grappling Monday and we learned an arm bar, Americana and 2 sweeps (one from guard and another from mount). I had about 15 spare minutes left and I was winded so I asked this 16 year old who was my drill partner if he wanted to free roll he said sure. Now mind you befor going to class I looked on Youtube and found a leg lock tutorial because I wanted to learn some extra stuff. We started on our knees, shook hands and he went for the take down and I stopped him and pushed him back since I was not only bigger (by probably 100 pounds) but also stronger and taller so I fell into his guard and I then remembered watching the Youtube video befor leaving home about leg locks and I put him in one. He struggled a bit so I started to look down at the mat and apply pressure and he tapped. I let go and asked him what exactly I did because I've never done it befor and he said it was an ankle lock.

Now the thing that bothers me is apparently any type of leg lock can easily fuck you up and aren't to be done by white belts, let alone by an overweight guy who probably doesn't know his own strength. I didn't know this until talking to an online friend who also does BJJ. I feel pretty bad about it. The kid wasn't hurt but I really didn't know what I was doing and had no right to use a move that I've never been put in befor or practiced on a 16 year old (I'm 19). Thoughts? Are leg locks really a no-no when free rolling? Should I ask guys befor free rolling if they're okay with leg locks? Should I not get ahead of myself and learn the basics (my arm bars are messy, little technique and my Americana sucks too)? It felt so good to tap this kid out since he's been doing BJJ for 3 months and this was my 2nd day but it almost wasn't worth it if I could of really fucked him up

I would say the only acceptable leg attack for a white belt is a achilles lock.

It felt so good to tap this kid out since he's been doing BJJ for 3 months and this was my 2nd day but it almost wasn't worth it if I could of really fucked him up

had about 15 spare minutes left and I was winded so I asked this 16 year old who was my drill partner if he wanted to free roll he said sure

started on our knees, shook hands and he went for the take down and I stopped him and pushed him back since I was not only bigger (by probably 100 pounds) but also stronger and taller

Now mind you befor going to class I looked on Youtube and found a leg lock tutorial because I wanted to learn some extra stuff.

You will not last.

ankle locks are okay to do as a beginner just don't crank that shit. when you get someone in an ankle lock it shouldn't take any force at all to make them tap.

for future submissions I'd go over whatever you learn on the internet with someone not resisting so you know how hard to go to finish it.

Meh. BJJ guys are too timid about foot and leg locks, if you apply pressure slowly they have time to tap. If they don't tap because they are being a training hero/tough guy and are ignorant of their danger...too fucking bad. I mean cmon each and every lock that we do has the ability to break something, hows a foot lock any different?

That being said even now, in mma fights I cannot bring myself to go for a heel hook. Not sure why its just a nasty sub that is my personal worst nightmare so I can't bring myself to do it. Thats my choice but I still know how to defend it. Matt Horwich is the same way about certain elbows and techniques I remember a story about him telling Matt Lindland "You can really hurt a guy doing that" after one of his fights where he ignored the shouts for elbows :)

Meh. BJJ guys are too timid about foot and leg locks, if you apply pressure slowly they have time to tap. If they don't tap because they are being a training hero/tough guy and are ignorant of their danger...too fucking bad. I mean cmon each and every lock that we do has the ability to break something, hows a foot lock any different?

That being said even now, in mma fights I cannot bring myself to go for a heel hook. Not sure why its just a nasty sub that is my personal worst nightmare so I can't bring myself to do it. Thats my choice but I still know how to defend it. Matt Horwich is the same way about certain elbows and techniques I remember a story about him telling Matt Lindland "You can really hurt a guy doing that" after one of his fights where he ignored the shouts for elbows :)

Nice avatar man. :cool:

Pretty sure leg locks can be used in competition once you reach blue belt. I'd say you should avoid using them while free rolling until you've reached that level.

what's worse than you getting it is someone who trained for 3 months letting you
;\

Who is Pat Fischer?

Pretty sure leg locks can be used in competition once you reach blue belt. I'd say you should avoid using them while free rolling until you've reached that level.

I thought they were legal at purple belt

I thought they were legal at purple belt

Maybe it's that. Either way, there's no reason why a white belt should be using them on his/her second day of training.

what's worse than you getting it is someone who trained for 3 months letting you
;\

He did it on a 16 year old kid he outweighed by 100 lbs who has been training for 3 months. What the hell does the kid know about ankle locks other than to tap? I don't find this too surprising at all really.

Back