Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Weidman looking for the knock out against Machida:
"If can’t take him out on the feet, I will take him to the ground and submit him there.”

The Long Island native calls his preparation for Machida “pretty similar” to his training camps for his two fights with Anderson Silva. Once again, he’s brought in Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson, a 9-1 UFC fighter highly skilled in karate, to mimic his opponent. Weidman heaps praise upon his sparring partner. “He moves like [Machida],” Weidman says of Thompson. “His style is very similar. I can spar against him and get a feel for what I might get on fight night.”

I think Weidman has Machida beat everywhere. Better grappler = Better striking. There will be no instances of Machida initiating a TD. All he's got in this particular matchup is that backpeddling style which won't even win him a decision. Lyoto can maybe win with a similar approach to his fight with Mousasi but Weidman is not that dumb (sorry Moose).

Anderson tried to goad Weidman into opening up his strikes but Weidman being a smart fighter, gave him nothing to counter. He pretty much stood in Anderson's striking range disregarding his power. Weidman knows how to take a punch and if he gets into range of Machida, he's going to put Machida to sleep. He's become a high level defensive kickboxer (compare to Bendo's evoulution) and he knows where to find his TDs efficiently.

Lastly, Phil Davis was able to steal a decision from Machida just by throwing feints all day. Weidman is going to steal his soul like Bones did. At 36 years of age, I'm afraid this might be the end of Lyoto's last title run.

Excellent. Machida is going to be the 4th guy in MMA history to hold world titles in 2 weight classes.

Excellent. Machida is going to be the 4th guy in MMA history to hold world titles in 2 weight classes.

4th? I thought it was just Couture and Penn so far?

But yeah, not a wise choice for Weidman to keep things on the feet.

I don't think you guys recognize what Weidman does well in the striking. It's not what he's throwing but the range he fights in. It doesn't look flashy but he's one of the FEW people who actually mixes up his game the best.

I can't wait until all of the annoying Machida fans are forced to eat crow.

Weidman should own him everywhere.

Sure he doesn't have the striking technique of Machida but he hits much harder.

Machida will get caught with a big punch or elbow coming in.......just like the Machida/Shogun fight.

Not in the UFC.

If Machida wins, he be the 3rd ever in ufc history to be champ in 2 divisions (previously Randy and BJ)

True. But I said world titles. Pride was at least equal to UFC in terms of prestige. Hendo is a legit world champion.

Weidman is faster, stronger, more explosive, has better wrestling, jujitsu, stand-up.

WON'T EVEN BE CLOSE. 1st round KO guaranteed.

I can't wait until all of the annoying Machida fans are forced to eat crow.

The only thing annoying about them is they have a different opinion from yours, I've seen far more annoying Weidman fans to be honest.

Dan Henderson.

He won a middlewheight tournaument and nothing more in the UFC, isn't it?

Belfort won a Hw tournament and the lhw belt(kinda).

Couture and Penn are truly the only ones as far as I know.

Chris is delusional. Here comes Machida Era 2.0. Of course we all know the Machida era only ever lasts one fight, so after he beats Chris - Who will take the belt??

Back