Dickie Ward =/= Ninja LOL Terrible comparison.

Just because of the drug use and unreliability, Dickie Ward had a wonderful mind for boxing and truly knew the fight game inside and out but the drugs really ruined him mentally.

But Ninja may be right, none of us know for sure. But if its a family issue, I dont see why Nina went to the media with this. I have a hard time believing that Ninja couldn't have got in touch with Shogun and hashed this family business out without involving the media, which embarrasses his brother and puts an even greater strain on their relationship.

Anderson absolutely made a decision to stay calm while down and defend until the round was over instead of using his energy to stand up. That's his style and gameplan. Of course nobody is saying he let him take him down. Shogun decided to try to stand up and sweep at all times.

Again my issue is with you making it sound like Anderson had much of choice.

Yes he realized if Chael put him on his back he likely would not be able to get back up short of a big mistake or huge opening. So yes in that realization he did well to stay calm and preserve energy rather then chasing a forced escape that was not going to happen.

Yes that is his style as he knows he has been put on his back by other wrestlers prior and he has learned he cannot really escape so why waste a ton of energy trying.

why would shogun listen to strangers over his brother

Again my issue is with you making it sound like Anderson had much of choice.

Yes he realized if Chael put him on his back he likely would not be able to get back up short of a big mistake or huge opening. So yes in that realization he did well to stay calm and preserve energy rather then chasing a forced escape that was not going to happen.

Yes that is his style as he knows he has been put on his back by other wrestlers prior and he has learned he cannot really escape so why waste a ton of energy trying.

Except when he got up from under Hendo, Sonnen at least once, etc...

Sho's point was that Anderson, instead of wasting big bursts of energy and getting his arms full and really heavy, tried patiently to work off his back instead of going full bore every time he got taken down trying to get up. Anderson knew that if he used all his energy to get back up, he was just most likely gonna get taken down again and be in the same boat except 10x as tired. So he basically rested, let Sonnen pillow punch him, and bided his time until he caught Chael sleeping, which happened to come at the very end of the fight.

He seems to think he is around a bunch of yes men.

http://www.bjpenn.com/murilo-rua-an...e-in-mauricio-ruas-camp-after-loss-to-sonnen/

“Shogun” changed his coaches, trainers and managers several times during his UFC run, and his brother believes that is one of the problems.
“He has a lot of shady persons around him, people trying to take advantage of him,” he said. “People from his camp said I wasn’t good for Mauricio because I made him nervous when I was on his corner, and he listened to that, so I decided to leave. If something is wrong I would point it out, I wouldn’t just lie to please him.”
“I was surprised,” Murilo said. “In my opinion, Mauricio played the wrong game. He should’ve moved more to avoid the takedowns. Fighting on half guard against a wrestler isn’t a good strategy. He should have brought Chael to his guard when he got taken down, tried to sweep him or land some punches. But Sonnen got his neck, unfortunately.”
“My brother never went on a diet,” he said. “But I believe it’s hard for him to (fight at middleweight), he weighs around 230 pounds. I don’t know what he’s thinking for his future, I’ll talk to him when he gets back home.”

shogun-defeated.png

I will be a Shogun fan for life, he always comes to fight, always,

put him in a couple of exciting matches with some good strikers, that is all.

Not the first time Ninja's accused Shogun's camp of being a bunch of yes men and him not getting the training he needs.

Fucking shame he doesn't want to leave Brazil or his family behind to train at Kings. He almost never looks better than when he's with Cordeiro.

I'd just like to see one more of these please.
Shogun-Rua-vs-Griffin-UFC-134.gif

Last edited:
Nah he just lost Chael is just better plain and simple...didn't have nothing to do with shady people...

Shogun should just train with Cordeiro, certainly has been working for Werdum.

That seems to be the what most fans want. I agree.....i mean I'm not in the business or a coach, but we as fans get an idea over time what can be good for a fighter

i was surprised to see babalu in his corner

I didn't even realize Babalu was his head coach until the night before the fight.
Terrible decision.

They brought in Roach to drill stand up in a fight that was going to be on the ground.

No. Shogun traveled to CA to train with Freddie Roach in preparation for Lil Nog, a Brazilian Boxing Silver Medalist in the 2007 Pan Am Games.

sadly shogun is going the same direction as BJ did

how can shogun let people get between him and his brother

This is the first fight since Dida left right? When Dida was there, at least Shogun got a W after one L, now it seems like the downfall has begun......

Saw somebody compared Shogun with BJ, I personally believe Shogun is not as delusional as BJ.

Shogun should just retire and be with family. There's no reason for him to be fighting anymore. After that last performance he just doesn't have it in him. He had a good run in the UFC and he should listen to his brother and stop surrounding himself with these shady people that don't care for him.

Its obvious to everyone that he needs to move his beautiful family to LA so he can train at Kings. He is still young, but all in all it would only mean a few years in the states. In reality, he could even regain the LHW crown IF Jones moves to HW. His fight with Gus was not that far off and when on point he can beat Machida any night.

That being said he did come out with some masterful game plans for Chuck and Machida, but Im thinking he didn't change his plans enough for Sonnen. Obviously for a boxer like Lil Nog Freddie Roach was a great idea, but I dont think he adjusted enough for Sonnen and took him lightly.

Stick a fork in him... He's done. Shogun will never get that belt back. It's hard to consider him top 10 in the division currently

LOL Shogun fans.

Ninja retired at 32. Ninja wasn't a bad fighter but at 32 here he is

MAURILO-NINJA-RUA.jpg

Shogun against Chael looked rough. Like every fight he has had since the Henderson fight

Mauricio-Shogun-Chael-Sonnen-590x385.jpg

Both Rua brothers were willing to take punishment. There is no reason a guy at 31 cant still be elite. People use the bad knee excuse but honestly I just don't see a guy that understands what is necessary to maintain elite status. He doesn't take care of himself.

That Henderson-Shogun fight might have ended 2 careers of legends. They each took such a beating and neither have been the same since. I have heard a lot of people want a Shogun-Hendo 2 and just cant fathom those 2 being able to survive another beating like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back