On topic i have no doubts what Ninja says has some fact to it, Shogun is one of the few fighters that IMO has not been doing the proper things to succeed.

how long he's been in the UFC? how long he's been under-performing? it's all his fault then

Babalu was his head coach this time.

I just don't think he had a plan which showed. They needed to decide if he should stay on the mat after getting taken down again and if he should just lose the round (like Anderson's camp decided to let happen) or waste your energy getting up.

I think that was the camps biggest mistake. They had no strategy for what to do on the ground it seemed. You have to factor in his conditioning and chael's punching power, etc. It seemed like they just said go fight.

lol. I hope you don't believe that.

Sonnen dictated where that first fight took place. Anderson did not let it happen. He prepared himself for one of two eventualities properly. Try to KO Chael standing but failing that and ending up on your back, go for subs.

wow, how screwed up is that? Telling him to get Ninja out of his corner? and he listened?
This is not the first time people make comments on Shogun being surrounded by "yes-men" and whatnot

lol. I hope you don't believe that.

Sonnen dictated where that first fight took place. Anderson did not let it happen. He prepared himself for one of two eventualities properly. Try to KO Chael standing but failing that and ending up on your back, go for subs.

Anderson absolutely made a decision to stay calm while down and defend until the round was over instead of using his energy to stand up. That's his style and gameplan. Of course nobody is saying he let him take him down. Shogun decided to try to stand up and sweep at all times.

Shogun started feeling washed up the second he fired Eduardo Alonso. He was also much more accessible to the fans. I used to like Shogun a lot, now I just shrug.

Anderson absolutely made a decision to stay calm while down and defend until the round was over instead of using his energy to stand up. That's his style and gameplan. Of course nobody is saying he let him take him down. Shogun decided to try to stand up and sweep at all times.

Even I thought he could sweep Chael, but it looked like Chael was a lot stronger. That being said, Im not sure Shogun has even half of Anderson's cardio so for sure holding on would have been the better option and trying to set up the sweep. Going for vicious knees on the takedowns and working the boxing game.......eh I don't think Shogun even got a punch off. Complete domination.

So he separated from the 3 guys who actually pushed him? Eduardo, Ninja and Cordeiro

It makes no sense.

I hope the Sonnen fight is the realization that either A.)Its time to pack it in and call it a career or B.)Make a decision to surround yourself with coaches and training partners who will push you to get better, and not put together a training camp that allows you to coast through. A place like Reign would be perfect, but I'm really doubtful that he'll go through with it.

It still baffles me to sign on the dotted line to fight a an olympic alternate wrestler, then bring in no one else to drill wrestling except Babalu. And on top of that decide to take the time to work on his boxing with one of the best trainers of all time, and then instigate the ground game after being able to get on top and have a chance to stand it back up. It is really starting to show Shogun should not be in control of his training camps without someone supervising.

Yes, I agree.
It's just sad because, like I said before, this time really seemed to me that he would get back on track.

Picking a guy who just retired and hasn't really had a fighting passion in a few years didn't seem like a guy possessed to me

Picking a guy who just retired and hasn't really had a fighting passion in a few years didn't seem like a guy possessed to me

Maybe you're right, let's wait and see what/if he is going to change next time.

Yeah, it seems like shogun needs to change a lot and very soon.

Ninja seems to be still butthurt, but he was a "yes man" as well. I have never understood the thing about Shogun building his own camp with head coaches like Dida or Babalu. If he really wanted to improve I'm pretty sure many established camps would welcome him and give him the right push.

I heard Shogun did pretty good in Pride with Ninja by his side.

I have no specific knowledge of Shogun's camp, but it sure seems like he's having trouble with it, and apparently he changed all of his camp for the Sonnen fight. Which makes me wonder if Murilo isn't just trying to find a way back in Shogun's corner. After all, he changed everything for this very fight, supposedly to avoid the shady people around him.

He doesn't have a team anymore. Only time he had that was on Chute Boxe.

Mauricio needs to just stop eating the pao de queijos, brasilians will know what this is...get his fat chubby tittied ass on the road running and in the gym lifting, change his damned diet, get some real guys in his camp that are gonna be in there to push him and try to kick his ass...not his little twinky boyfriends and then maybe he will be ready to fight. otherwise it is time to wrap it up and move to UFC Brazil commentating.

It may be one of his problems, but it's certainly not the cause of his downfall in the UFC. If he hasn't realized his lack of athleticism, or cardio, and his lack of wrestling (although he did take Chael down ) as the bigger obstacles then he has an even bigger problem ( denial ) then we anticipated.

Back