25 most important MMA fighters in history - second time at getting it right

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by emax, Jan 6, 2015.

1. emax

emax Black Belt

I posted an attempt to do this the first time and did not work in pleasing the majority of fellow MMA devotees so this time I am doing a list of 25 of the greatest, with explanations for the top 10, and seeing if it makes more sense this time.

1. Royce Gracie - Again, the safest choice, the guy who introduced the ground game to MMA and showed countless martial arts fans that literally everything they've been taught to believe about combat sports is a heaping tower of bullshit.

2. Randy Couture -Figured no change needed here, as I said before he was among the first major fighters to give MMA the sort of universal appeal to American audiences that baseball and football were known for and that the UFC needed at the time. And I still feel gets at least as much credit as any other MMA fighter for MMA's popularity boost in 2001 - 2005.

3. Fedor - Keeping this as a risky choice, but then again, it's fucking Fedor. for a full decade he wrecked whoever was placed in front of him in every way MMA lovers than think of and set the bar higher than ever for cringe worthy beatdowns with such fights as the Herring and Big Nog fights.

2. Shogun Rising

Shogun Rising I am Shiva god of death

I personally put Rickson over Renzo.

I wish Rickson would've just done UFC 1 instead of Royce.

3. emax

emax Black Belt

Maybe that would have been better. I knew I needed at least one Gracie besides Royce and deciding on one was sort of an arbitrary process at least for me anyway.

4. GODZILLA213

GODZILLA213 Genocide Revised

I hate to say it but Brock is easily top 5. He brought in more new viewers than, well, everyone I can think of in the last 15 years.

5. cold

cold Brown Belt

Would like to see someone provide a similar list from a Japanese perspective.

6. Captain_Dammitt

Captain_Dammitt Brown Belt

Liddell should be higher.

7. jlazer

jlazer Purple Belt

Chuck higher. BJ lower. Chuck brought a lot of fans in and was really the first ufc celebrity

8. emax

emax Black Belt

I am sure it would have Sakuraba, Gomi, Machida - ok so he's half Japanese but was trained by his Japanese sensei father so I figure they would count him, Kid Yamamoto and Caol Uno on it but even from a Japanese perspective it would be real hard I think to justify having any other Japanese fighters on a list like this.

9. BreadnButter

BreadnButter Brown Belt

Big Nog and Frank Shamrock should be higher.

10. emax

emax Black Belt

I also wonder if in two years from now Jones, Aldo, Pettis or Cain if he can get out of his body cast end up taking a spot on the top 10. Can Jones can get 7 more defenses, breaking Anderson's record? And in those defenses, can he make his opponents look as ridiculously over-matched and pathetic as Anderson typically did? If so that could really change things.

11. emax

emax Black Belt

I get the inclination to feel that way, but that would mean that among Fedor, Royce Gracie, Anderson, GSP, Matt Hughes, Couture, Coleman, Liddell and Sakuraba that you would be placing Lesnar above at least a few of these and that could also be really antagonizing.

12. Combat Wombatt

Combat Wombatt Brown Belt

Lesnar higher.

He brought in many new fans and biggest ppvs of all time.

13. emax

emax Black Belt

True, his best PPV numbers were more than double what any other MMA fighter has ever been able to bring in the sport's 21 years or so.