impressive an mma fighter is on it. isnt gsp the best athlete in mma?

Who would you argue belongs on that list and who should be removed?

Well I am an MMA fan mostly so I could careless about ranking other sports. But I am sure there are sportsman that play Cricket, rugby,field hockey etc that are sports played in worldwide competition against other nations that would be worthy to be on the list. Also picking players like williams but leaving off Novak Djokovic.

Basically these lists from American media are always full of your countries most popular sports people that play in leagues in your country.

So call the list what it is 'ESPN's Americas top athletes of 2012'
Don't just add in the occasional token foreigner to make it look like you guys are trying to be global.

In what world is Messi a better athlete than Lebron.

In the biggest sport in the world where he broke record after record. A sport that has been around a lot longer than the nba and is played professionally by a whole lot more people. So yea, if you count the world including everything outside of the US, it's that world.

In the biggest sport in the world where he broke record after record. A sport that has been around a lot longer than the nba and is played professionally by a whole lot more people. So yea, if you count the world including everything outside of the US, it's that world.

He's thinking ' there's a world outside the US? '

"cant be"

Basically these lists from American media are always full of your countries most popular sports people that play in leagues in your country.

You keep spouting BS. A bunch of the people on that list aren't that popular in the US. Nobody really cares that much for women's basketball for one thing.

Don't just add in the occasional token foreigner to make it look like you guys are trying to be global.

You could only say 1 name when pressed for what other non-Americans should be on the list. You're only spouting nonsense about non-Americans because you "are trying to be global" yourself. Token foreigner? 2 of the top 5 people on the list are foreigners and 4 of the top 11 are, as well.

Yeah, a list from ESPN is going to be more American-oriented, but if you don't like it, then go make your own stupid list.

So in the year of an Olympics there is only one Athlete in the Athletes of the year list (Usain Bolt) lol

Joke of a list.

Fucking bullshit list. Bones ahead of AP my ass. Guy comes back from a severe injury playing behind a garbage QB and could rush for over 2G's. That isn't enough to be ahead of a guy that won two fights this year. That's a slap in the face to AP not that he cares after he becomes MVP this year.

My thoughts exactly. No one has put a team on they back like AP, the guy has pretty much single handedly carried the Vikes this season and has done it by being the meanest, hardest working motherfucker on and off the field. Oh and he's doing all this coming off of what would be a career ending injury for most. Jones is good, his ranking seems fair I'm mostly just surprised All Day isn't higher on the list...like all the way up at no.1

Well I am an MMA fan mostly so I could careless about ranking other sports. But I am sure there are sportsman that play Cricket, rugby,field hockey etc that are sports played in worldwide competition against other nations that would be worthy to be on the list. Also picking players like williams but leaving off Novak Djokovic.

Serena Williams won 2 majors and 2 Olympic gold medals this year, Novak only won one major and zero Olympic medals. He has not played that well in 2012. 2011 was his shining year. Serena, on the other hand, dominated 2012.

American sports leagues (aside from MLS) are the most global and dominant. They attract the best from around the world because they have the most money to lure them. All the best basketball players in the world play in the NBA. All the best hockey players in the NHL. All the best baseball players in the MLB. All the best mixed martial artists in the UFC. All the best golfers on the PGA Tour. All the best boxers fight on U.S. soil (mostly in Las Vegas). So the best competitors in American sports leagues are often the best competitors period.

Last edited:
What it says. Most people that are not American don't even know 80% of that list. And even then the athletes are stars in an American sport.

Just more American propaganda on its own awesomeness LMAO

Most Magazines in other countries if doing a top list will include athletes from around the world. Otherwise they would say ESPNS (insert country) top athletes of the year.

Generally just the standard American way of media.

It's an American media source. They sell their product to American readers and viewers. It isn't propaganda simply because it is aimed chiefly at American sports fans. I think you are projecting your own nationalism.

If most magazines around the world would include athletes from all around the world, then how is it that most people not from America don't recognize 80% of this list?

So in the year of an Olympics there is only one Athlete in the Athletes of the year list (Usain Bolt) lol

Joke of a list.

Yes, only one. Michael Phelps is a baseball player and Gabby Douglas must be the Nascar driver that everyone is complaining about.

Try again, Shertard.

Athletic Events in the Olympics does not include Gymnastics or Swimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_Summer_Olympics

Try again, Shertard.

HA! So the only "athletes" in the Olympics are the track and field participants?

Look, I can quote a Wikipedia page too, and I most certainly see Gymnastics and Swimming included in that list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics

So what is it? Are you arguing that Track and Field Olympians are the only "athletes" competing? Or that Swimming and Gymnastics do not constitute "athletic events"? Please do retort, this actually could get very funny.

SHERTARD.

HA! So the only "athletes" in the Olympics are the track and field participants?

Look, I can quote a Wikipedia page too, and I most certainly see Gymnastics and Swimming included in that list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics

So what is it? Are you arguing that Track and Field Olympians are the only "athletes" competing? Or that Swimming and Gymnastics do not constitute "athletic events"? Please do retort, this actually could get very funny.

SHERTARD.

Gymnastics is in the "SPORTS" category and swimming is in the AQUATICS category.

And if you click the athletics category it send you to the link I posted earlier.

I'm simply stating facts, not that other "sports" are not athletic.

YOU'RE WELCOME.

SHERTARD.

Why are you going by such a narrow definition of the word "athlete"?

Back