Media 22nd year anniversary of Holyfield-Tyson ear bite

Reaction score

In the Facebook comment section I see a lot of fans whining about the headbutts and saying that's why Tyson bit his ear blah blah blah. I have watched the fight closely many times and there may have been a few more then usual but it wasn't like that was the bulk of Evander's attack.

I am usually a Tyson fan and it's hard for me to say this, but him biting Holy's ear twice is a sign he wanted a way out of that fight. He didn't want too get a prolonged beating or get stopped again by Holyfield. Evander actually doesn't have a bad ko/decision ratio for an undersized HWT.

Last edited:
I'm surprised a rematch was put together so quickly after Holyfield completely dismantled Tyson just a year before. I mean, I get that Tyson was big money and he wasn't supposed to lose their first fight, but Holyfield wore him down and stopped him.

It's 24 years ago today. A devastating decision that removed Tyson from greatness. Mills Lane said to Evander after the fight that he should change his nickname to "The Real Meal".

It's 24 years ago today. A devastating decision that removed Tyson from greatness. Mills Lane said to Evander after the fight that he should change his nickname to "The Real Meal".

I think it initially removed Tyson from greatness, but became very watered down to more or less a joke when the public became aware of exactly how much Evander was using his head as a weapon. The fact the two actually did comedy skits afterward with Tyson giving Holyfield his ear back as birthday gift, only adds to it.

Certainly not a great moment for the sport though.

I think it initially removed Tyson from greatness, but became very watered down to more or less a joke when the public became aware of exactly how much Evander was using his head as a weapon. The fact the two actually did comedy skits afterward with Tyson giving Holyfield his ear back as birthday gift, only adds to it.

Certainly not a great moment for the sport though.

I don't think he bit him because of headbutting. He was frustrated because he had to work and fight in order to beat Evander, and he wasn't capable of doing it at that point. All he did was rely on his single big punch, but Holyfield wasn't going down.

As far as greatness goes - I didn't mean the ear bite specifically. I meant him showing up a 2nd time against Holyfield and not being able to beat him a 2nd time. The way it went down with the ear bite just emphasized Mike's lack of fighting ability.
Mike came for a sprint, Evander made it a marathon, and Mike wasn't up for it.

Did not expect Mills Lane to be so funny!

Back