227 has some pretty good fights in the lower weight classes

Thesnake101

Think about it, it worth it.
@Gold
Reaction score
Obviously the better ones are the main and co-main, but I'm referring to some of the prelims.

Jose Torres vs Alex Perez is a pretty underrated fight. Torres has long been regarded as one of the better prospects outside if the UFC, and while he didn't exactly look great in his UFC debut, he still remains an interesting fighter at 125. Perez seemingly came out of nowhere, getting a fight on the Contender Series and then dominating his next two opponents in the UFC. He seems like a legit grappler, and since Jose struggled in that department against Brooks, I think Alex will get it done.

Kyung Ho Kang vs Ricardo Ramos should be an entertaining one, both guys are primarily grapplers that can lock up a submission in the blink of an eye, but aren't afraid of engaging on the feet. I feel like Ramos has the higher ceiling of the two, but is still very green and will struggle with Kang's game once the first round is over. Can't count him out though, he was on his way to losing to little Zahabi before landing a spinning elbow and finishing the fight.

Ricky Simon vs Montel Jackson is easily one of the better prospect matchups at 135 imo. Simon has grit and is very versatile, but has looked vulnerable against better strikers that won't concede takedowns, his toughness saves him in those occasions though. Montel is still somewhat of an unknown, but seems to have crushing power for a BW and had a very impressive showing on the Contender Series, numerous fouls notwithstanding. I think the winner of this one will crack the top 15 in a short time.

Pedro Munhoz vs Brett Johns is a fight between two very legit talents. Pedro has shown some formidable striking in his last two fights, dropping Rob Font before choking him out and having a somewhat close fight with Dodson. He has the best guillotine at 135, seemingly being able to jump on that at a moment's notice, and that does not bode well for Brett Johns, who's been a grinding wrestler for the better part of his UFC career. That doesn't mean he has no way of winning though, since his calf-slicer win over Joe Soto showed how nifty his ground game can be. Still, you have to favor the one that seems the most put together in Pedro Munhoz.

TL;DR: this event will be an entertaining manlet showcase.

giphy.webp

200.gif

Can't wait to see who the best fighters the size of children are.

Joking of course. I'd probably tap to a 115lb female like that other sherdogger. Hespect

I've found that a lot of these cards that look weak on paper due to name recognition and up being extremely entertaining to actually watch.

Not familiar with the guys mentioned but I will definitely check then out!

Pedro and johns should be decent

The rest are iffy

Pedro and johns should be decent

The rest are iffy
Most should be entertaining at least, with the sole exception being the Perez/Torres fight. If Alex has his way, it's going to be a rasslin clinic.

I mean, I'll watch every fight of a guy that can score a spinning elbow KO.

ufc-217-ricardo-ramos-highlights-nice-spinning-elbow-part-2.gif

Most should be entertaining at least, with the sole exception being the Perez/Torres fight. If Alex has his way, it's going to be a rasslin clinic.

I mean, I'll watch every fight of a guy that can score a spinning elbow KO.

ufc-217-ricardo-ramos-highlights-nice-spinning-elbow-part-2.gif

Is it wrong how much I enjoyed seein Firas gutted

These are then kinds of cards we're going to get from here on out.

They're using the boxing model of giving a decent main event, and co main event, with an under-card that no one cares about.

Edmond with a different name
Dude always rubbed me the wrong way. Probably because he makes athletic guys fight like boring wrestle-boxers without fail.

Dude always rubbed me the wrong way. Probably because he makes athletic guys fight like boring wrestle-boxers without fail.

I just hate tri star in general to be honest, Rory has earned some respect over the years but yeah he's just so damn smug

I just hate tri star in general to be honest, Rory has earned some respect over the years but yeah he's just so damn smug
Whenever I see a fighter from Tri Star, my first thought is "gee, another decision machine". He just seems to be like Jackson in that he wants his fighters to fight in the same exact underwhelming fashion.

There are exceptions to the rule in both camps tho.

Back