.223 vs .308 in combat situation

ga_ninja

Whopper or Die
@purple
Reaction score
Which caliber rifle is best for combat. I know .223 especially lower quality have the tendency to tumble but the .308 is a straight puncher will go through even some class-III armor. That being said which is more lethal in combat.

The .308/7.62x51 was what the M14 shoots isn't it?

I know the US military swapped it for the 5.56 due to weight and such but my understanding was a lot of the special operations guys (I know for a fact a portion of the guys that had been deployed to Somalia and were there during the "Black Hawk Down shit") chose to take M14's instead of M16's even with the weight issues of the larger ammo because of their belief it had a better stopping power.

And for what it's worth, that dude Nutnfancy on YouTube has said a bunch of times the .308 in an AR-10 platform would probably be his go to for a battle rifle because he views the 5.56/.223 as a peashooter at range.

I guess it depends on the situation.

Weight, size and capacity is a pretty big difference.

A loaded 30 round pmag weighs just over 1lb. A loaded .308 20 round pmag weighs just under 2lbs. 90 rounds vs 40 rounds.

Lighter, smaller more agile weapon with quicker and more controlled shots and higher capcity with the .223 vs a larger heavier weapon that definitely has much more power and range with the .308. So I guess if you knew the situation before hand you could make a decision.

You stuck in a no gov't situation and are in a city I would imagine the AR-15/5.56 would be choice.

You're in the woods/mountains or desert I'd take the .308

The question you should be asking yourself is, "what is my role/purpose/intent in this fantasy battle?"

Then maybe you get into the calibre dick measuring contest.

Buy what you prefer to shoot at the range for fun or hunting. If shit goes down where you need your personal rifle in "combat" then you've got much bigger problems than having chosen the wrong caliber.

Calibre selection should boil down to availability, adequacy for the intended purpose and your ability to shoot it well.

Better question is which one is more lethal in your hands?

I'll take an M4 with some of that 77gr 5.56.

The .308/7.62x51 was what the M14 shoots isn't it?

I know the US military swapped it for the 5.56 due to weight and such but my understanding was a lot of the special operations guys (I know for a fact a portion of the guys that had been deployed to Somalia and were there during the "Black Hawk Down shit") chose to take M14's instead of M16's even with the weight issues of the larger ammo because of their belief it had a better stopping power.

And for what it's worth, that dude Nutnfancy on YouTube has said a bunch of times the .308 in an AR-10 platform would probably be his go to for a battle rifle because he views the 5.56/.223 as a peashooter at range.
They typically use a a mix of both nowadays.

You stuck in a no gov't situation and are in a city I would imagine the AR-15/5.56 would be choice.

You're in the woods/mountains or desert I'd take the .308

Pretty much this. Besides, from what I know from friends who do this shit, teams usually head out with multiple weapon types depending on what their mission is.

My friend who was a marine sniper prefers his AR in 308. Personally I favor the 243. If you look up the ballistics, 243 seems like the most well rounded caliber. Download a ballistic calculator app & play around with it until you find the caliber & load you're looking for

For me deciding factor is what kind of engagements am I looking at? Stuff 300 yards out or more .308. Up close house to house or urban, I'll stick with 5.56.

Carrying a full combat load sucks ass.

Yeah a full combat load of 7.62 NATO would suck. The SCAR H is such a pleasure to shoot though.

My friend who was a marine sniper prefers his AR in 308. Personally I favor the 243. If you look up the ballistics, 243 seems like the most well rounded caliber. Download a ballistic calculator app & play around with it until you find the caliber & load you're looking for

Bolt action?

The 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty awesome and does well in the AR10 platform as the .308 is the parent case.

6.5 Grendel is pretty awesome in the AR15 platform.

Bolt action?

The 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty awesome and does well in the AR10 platform as the .308 is the parent case.

6.5 Grendel is pretty awesome in the AR15 platform.
Personally I prefer bolt action, but it wouldn't be the best overall for the combat situation TS is referring to. I love my Smith & Wesson bolt action 243. It's a flat shooting accurate caliber with plenty of knock down power.

I've heard good things about the 6.5 creedmoor except for the fact that the ammo is hard to find. It's a caliber that's just catching on. Probably best for someone who loads their own ammo. Maybe it's easy to find online, but idk. I either buy my ammo at bass pro or my buddy loads it for me.

But with non-NATO chamberings, good luck having enough ammo. Sure, those would be the first things to disappear, but you can't really buy, store or load lots of hunting ammunition efficiently.

Personally I prefer bolt action, but it wouldn't be the best overall for the combat situation TS is referring to. I love my Smith & Wesson bolt action 243. It's a flat shooting accurate caliber with plenty of knock down power.

I've heard good things about the 6.5 creedmoor except for the fact that the ammo is hard to find. It's a caliber that's just catching on. Probably best for someone who loads their own ammo. Maybe it's easy to find online, but idk. I either buy my ammo at bass pro or my buddy loads it for me.

Ok yeah

Hornady usually has a decent stock and price is on par with .308 match.

Back