Elections 2024 GOP Primary Thread: South Carolina GOP votes to move back their 2024 primary

Which candidate would you currently support in the 2024 primary (pick 3)?

• Total voters
She can passively be involved in politics without as much stress or the work of being a Senator. I've never seen her express real interest in holding an office. Just seems to be something to media like to speculate.

At the same time. With her status and name recognition I think she easily beats Rubio. Once there she has a solid job for 6 years and Senators dont have to do much. They cant be fired no matter how ineffective they are and can only be removed for doing illegal stuff that the Senate agrees to remove them. It allows her to remain relevant, gives her voting power and she can travel world on tax payer dime again

At the same time. With her status and name recognition I think she easily beats Rubio. Once there she has a solid job for 6 years and Senators dont have to do much. They cant be fired no matter how ineffective they are and can only be removed for doing illegal stuff that the Senate agrees to remove them. It allows her to remain relevant, gives her voting power and she can travel world on tax payer dime again

If that was the idea, I think it's good she see's that as being wrong and to just not run. A senator that does their job would be pretty busy. I don't agree they hardly do anything (or at least if doing their job right). It would be an overall net loss for the senate to just have someone there because they're the president's daughter.

If that was the idea, I think it's good she see's that as being wrong and to just not run. A senator that does their job would be pretty busy. I don't agree they hardly do anything (or at least if doing their job right). It would be an overall net loss for the senate to just have someone there because they're the president's daughter.

A lot of Senators dont actually do a lot dont pass bills and delegate a lot to their aides and dont even attend a lot of meetings. House Members do much more usually and have the fear of reelection often

I am no expert but know some people who interned or worked for House members. 1 guy was good friends with someone who interned for a Senator as well said it is genuinely known that the House has more loyal grass roots types.

A lot of Senators dont actually do a lot dont pass bills and delegate a lot to their aides and dont even attend a lot of meetings. House Members do much more usually and have the fear of reelection often

I am no expert but know some people who interned or worked for House members. 1 guy was good friends with someone who interned for a Senator as well said it is genuinely known that the House has more loyal grass roots types.

Yea, the house you would have to always be in campaign mode. I think good senator's either sponsor some good legislation or put in a decent amount of work in whatever sub-committee they are on. For example in this case, I think Rubio's contribution to the intelligence and small business sub-committees add more value than whatever Ivanka would end up doing. She isn't really qualified to be a senator and I think it's dangerous to just think it's easy as being electable due to family relation. What's funny is Trump railed on the Clinton and Bush family and that's an element of what voters like about him, ending these political family dynasties. But now we get this weird push to put his kids who aren't really qualified to be senator and president maybe? Hard pass.

Nikki Haley vs Kamala? Two women of Indian descent competing for the highest office in the USA? Biden was right? Indians are taking over??

I think you’re being a tad over dramatic but it was a singling post anyway.
Agree to disagree I guess. I think the probability of the primary going well is fairly low but it’s really earlier to be too pessimistic or optimistic. It’s going to be a very important term though if Biden checks out because I think every other Democratic nominee was to the left of him and the GOP either doesn’t have a central message or it’s what Trump governed under.

Of the candidates listed, exactly three - Baker, Hogan, and Romney - have even a modicum of shame or principle. We don't need a primary to determine that: we have storied histories of their records of voting and support. They supported objectively bunk legislation (2017 tax cuts) that cut against years of rhetoric, they supported legislation that was objectively designed and guaranteed to do the opposite of what they said and what was for the public good (AHCA), they tacitly supported a litany of outright lies, broken norms, and corrupt appointments, they lied about Trump's impeachment and the Russia investigation, and they lied constantly in the course of the past 12 years about basically every meaningful policy area.

The idea that those persons would suddenly become even minimally decent public servants out of nowhere is way beyond optimistic.

Oh man, just handing the Presidency over on a silver platter lol.
Desantis and trump lololol.

From this poll, I have a hard time imagining Trump has a chance in 4 years.

Nikki Haley says if Trump runs for president in 2024 then she won't
The Hill
Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Monday that she would not mount a bid for the White House in 2024 should former President Trump decide to run again.

“I would not run if President Trump ran, and I would talk to him about it,” Haley told The Associated Press at a press conference. “That’s something that we’ll have a conversation about at some point if that decision is something that has to be made.”

Haley, a former South Carolina governor considered a potential contender for the GOP’s 2024 presidential nomination, said that she would support Trump if he makes another run for the White House.

But she also acknowledged that it had been quite some time since she spoke with the former president. Asked about the last time she talked to Trump, Haley said that it was after the 2020 presidential election but before Jan. 6, when a mob of his supporters stormed the Capitol in an effort to disrupt the certification of the election results.

Still, she said she had a “great working relationship” with Trump during her nearly two-year tenure as his envoy to the U.N.

“I appreciated the way he let me do my job,” she said. “I thought we did some fantastically great foreign policy things together, and look, I just want to keep building on what we accomplished and not watch it get torn down.”

She's been trying to walk a line between keeping Trump supporters vs. distancing herself from Trump but I think she's failing at this point. DeSantis seems to be having more cross appeal between the two groups.

Hopefully she is banking on trump being too old next time around and this is a ploy to woo his voters.

If not, God help the Republicans...

Hopefully she is banking on trump being too old next time around and this is a ploy to woo his voters.

If not, God help the Republicans...

I definitely think it’s just a way to try to win favor with him and or his supporters. It’s practical also to assume if he ran, the chances she could win nomination drop.

Give me DeSantis, Haley, or Cotton.

But realistically, trump still has the best chance.

Both parties...my goodness. There are good choices out there but who wants to rock the boat? Might as well have status quo Joes and wack a doodle Donalds.

I would mind Paul or Romney.

No way they get the push though they aren’t aligned enough.

Fuck all of those career politicians. All Dems and Republicans are pieces of shit. Only one worth the vote is Trump.

I think the mainstream media is going to turn DeSantis into the Republican candidate.

Back