2020s Four Kings Lightweight Division

Cariñito

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In comparison to the 1980s Four Kings of Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, and Duran.

This 2020s Lightweight version has Lopez, Davis, Lomachenko, Garcia, Haney.

So the question is....who's gonna be the 2020s Wilfred Benitez out of the group?

Last edited:
In comparison to the 1980s Four Kings of Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, and Duran.

This 2020s Lightweight version has Lopez, Davis, Lomachenko, Garcia, Haney.

So the question is....who's gonna be the 2020s Wilfred Benitez out of the group?

giphy.gif

It may be worth taking a little more time before we compare these two bunches of fighters.
It's not everyday that you get 4 or 5 fighters all active and all known to a certain extent, with decent fanbases, in the same weight class, wanting to fight.

Back in the 80s you had the Four Kings and you had Benitez who was like the 5th King or the Forgotten King.

I think that will be Lomachenko in this sequence.

And if Lomachenko was as good as some said he is, than Lopez must be pretty damn good himself.

It may be worth taking a little more time before we compare these two bunches of fighters.
Also this isn't a comparison to say they are as good as those guys.
This would be like you me and @Seano going "If we're the Chicago Bulls, who's the Rodman out of the group?"
In that type of vein is what I mean.

It's not everyday that you get 4 or 5 fighters all active and all known to a certain extent, with decent fanbases, in the same weight class, wanting to fight.

Back in the 80s you had the Four Kings and you had Benitez who was like the 5th King or the Forgotten King.

I think that will be Lomachenko in this sequence.

And if Lomachenko was as good as some said he is, than Lopez must be pretty damn good himself.

The Four kings fought 9 times over 4 weight classes. Today we have a pretty good LW division and 2 guys out of the bunch fought once. Lomachenko is proven but he’ll have a hard time sticking around - he’s small at 135 and he’s getting old. Let’s see how the other 3 develop. Making it to Benitez’s career achievements would be great for them already. That’s still a stretch to call them the second coming of the big 4.

Also this isn't a comparison to say they are as good as those guys.
This would be like you me and @Seano going "If we're the Chicago Bulls, who's the Rodman out of the group?"
In that type of vein is what I mean.

Oh, OK then. Now I’m getting your point about the comparison. Still, beyond the sheer greatness of the four kings they fought one another many times and it’s far from granted that these 4 will do so. Lopez is huge and will move up while I doubt Davis does, for instance.

Back to the topic I’ve said in my previous post that I don’t think Loma will stick at 135 long enough to fight the remaining 2 guys. And I don’t think he should. It should be mentioned that he is the oldest of the bunch while Benitez was the youngest.

Maybe you can slip Garcia in your pool, even if he’s still to get himself a belt and seems to be a lesser boxer than the other 4. His hand speed and power may get him a win over one of them at some point.

Last edited:
Oh, OK then. Now I’m getting your point about the comparison. Still, beyond the sheer greatness of the four kings they fought one another many times and it’s far from granted that these 4 will do so. Lopez is huge and will move up while I doubt Davis does, for instance.

Back to the topic I’ve said in my previous post that I don’t think Loma will stick at 135 long enough to fight the remaining 2 guys. And I don’t think he should. It should be mentioned that he is the oldest of the bunch while Benitez was the youngest.
Figures the guy with the Hagler screen name would come in and get upset.
Benitez did retire before all of them besides Hagler. But Hagler had more fights.

Maybe you can slip Garcia in your pool, even if he’s still to get himself a belt and seems to be a lesser boxer than the other 4. His hand speed and power may get him a win over one of them at some point.
I think Garcia beats Haney and I bet they fight two or three times with different outcomes just like their amateur fights.

Figures the guy with the Hagler screen name would come in and get upset.
Benitez did retire before all of them besides Hagler. But Hagler had more fights.

It’s more about trying to make this big 4 thing work, really.

Benitez retired early, indeed - and shouldn’t have came back BTW. I just find it funny to put Loma in his position, as he’s an old timer when compared to the early 80s version of Benitez.

I think Garcia beats Haney and I bet they fight two or three times with different outcomes just like their amateur fights.

I think Haney should win this if he doesn’t fight stupid but Garcia has a shot - he does against anyone with his hand speed and pop, but they all can also make him look bad. He may very well be your remaining 4th king of 2021.

It’s more about trying to make this big 4 thing work, really.

Benitez retired early, indeed - and shouldn’t have came back BTW. I just find it funny to put Loma in his position, as he’s an old timer when compared to the early 80s version of Benitez.
benitiez peaked and faded early, he was shot by 26, losing to hamsho, davey moore and hilton, taking some fearsome punches in some of his fights. No shock he ended up in the shape he's in. Special fighter, youngest champion still isn't he? 17 or whatever it was, youngest 3 weight champion i'm sure. Just had the misfortune of fighting in an era that was stacked with very good and had a few greats too.

benitiez peaked and faded early, he was shot by 26, losing to hamsho, davey moore and hilton, taking some fearsome punches in some of his fights. No shock he ended up in the shape he's in. Special fighter, youngest champion still isn't he? 17 or whatever it was, youngest 3 weight champion i'm sure. Just had the misfortune of fighting in an era that was stacked with very good and had a few greats too.

Youngest champion indeed - and beating 76' Cervantes at 17 was a greater accomplishment than flattening Berbick at 20 IMO. Benitez also fought tons of street fights and unsanctioned bouts for money when he was just a kid. His father is responsible for a lot of what happened to Wilfred. And then there was Benitez's tyipcal Puertorican fighter behaviour, living the good life and spending as little time in the gym as he could. He was great, but with proper work ethics and management he would have been immense.

Youngest champion indeed - and beating 76' Cervantes at 17 was a greater accomplishment than flattening Berbick at 20 IMO. Benitez also fought tons of street fights and unsanctioned bouts for money when he was just a kid. His father is responsible for a lot of what happened to Wilfred.
i dont doubt it. Great fighter, can't even stomach how people rave about Mayweathers defense when I've seen Benitez. Too bad he lacked a chin, power, dedication and drive but he was special. Sugar Ray still says that physically the Benitez fight was his toughest, never could understand why really but that's what he and his right hand man, Mike Trainer, have always said. Of course he beat a disinterested Duran and lost to Tommy, would have been interesting if he'd showed the dedication these other guys did, what would have happened. Sugar Ray said the only time Benitez was lucid when he saw him a few years ago it was only to tell him that he didn't train for him, so you know it had to have some truth to it.

i dont doubt it. Great fighter, can't even stomach how people rave about Mayweathers defense when I've seen Benitez. Too bad he lacked a chin, power, dedication and drive but he was special. Sugar Ray still says that physically the Benitez fight was his toughest, never could understand why really but that's what he and his right hand man, Mike Trainer, have always said. Of course he beat a disinterested Duran and lost to Tommy, would have been interesting if he'd showed the dedication these other guys did, what would have happened. Sugar Ray said the only time Benitez was lucid when he saw him a few years ago it was only to tell him that he didn't train for him, so you know it had to have some truth to it.

His dad even said in an interview a few weeks before the Leonard bout that he was fed up with Wilfred's lack of commitment and wouldn't be in his corner on fight night. In hindsight it was just an attempt to make him drop his attitude. SRL vs Benitez shows you that all the talent in the world doesn't beat both talent and dedication.

Duran's autobiography sounded very predictable to me. One of the few interesting pieces of information was what he said about Benitez. It's the only loss for which Duran brings up no excuses. I believe it speaks volumes, as do Leonard's and Hearns's accolades - the latter called Benitez the best he's ever fought in Ring Magazine.

Last edited:
can't even stomach how people rave about Mayweathers defense when I've seen Benitez. .

Floyd is 2nd II none in the defense department, probably the best defensive boxer I've seen. Benitez relied on his reflexes like Roy Jones Jr and Nicolino Loche, whereas Floyd had the complete vartiety of defensive measures. Yea, Mosley and Maidana hit him with good shots at one point, but generally Floyd wouldn't make mistakes like Benitez, Loche, etc.

His dad even said in an interview a few weeks before the Leonard bout that he was fed up with Wilfred's lack of commitment and wouldn't be in his corner on fight night. In hindsight it was just an attempt to make him drop his attitude. SRL vs Benitez shows you that all the talent in the world doesn't beat both talent and dedication.

Duran's autobiography sounded very predictable to me. One of the few interesting pieces of information was what he said about Benitez. It's the only loss for which Duran brings up no excuses. I believe it speaks volumes, as does Leonard's praise.
ya, i only skimmed roberto's book and I noticed how he made a million excuses, but that's just duran. I don't think i saw the benitez part. that fight had everyone convinced if no mas didn't, that duran was finished. Don King ripped up his contract and cursed him out, supposedly making him cry afterwards.

Floyd is 2nd II none in the defense department, probably the best defensive boxer I've seen. Benitez relied on his reflexes like Roy Jones Jr and Nicolino Loche, whereas Floyd had the complete vartiety of defensive measures. Yea, Mosley and Maidana hit him with good shots at one point, but generally Floyd wouldn't make mistakes like Benitez, Loche, etc.
maybe he is but he's a turnoff for me. I'm not impressed, not when i've seen guys like benitez and whitaker and prime camacho and prime ali. Not impressed at all.

Back