2020 Oscar Nominations Predictions

Any black film/actor in the running?

Lupita Nyongo for Us as best actress (no chance to win).
Jaimie Foxx got a nomination as supporting actor in the guild awards (no chance to win)
My name is Dolemite maybe as one of the nominees for best picture (no chance to win).

The academy isn't giving a distinctly British movie with two no-name British actors and exactly: one woman, and two people of color in tiny roles, Best Picture. Only way it even stands a chance is if it becomes a huge hit in America over the next month...

Remember: Dunkirk didn't get Best Picture, and it was just as technically brilliant while having the cache of Nolan Directing and Tom Hardy in the lead. It lost Best Picture to a movie about fish fucking... it lost Best Picture to a movie about fish fucking. That's how much Hollywood is opposed to handing out Best Picture to imports.

Gravity won, Dunkirk was not that good.

Even the BAFTA didnt gave Dunkirk any awards. You can make the case for 3 billboards wich apparently was a brittish film (didnt knew that, won best brittish film that year), but even the BAFTA gave best director to Gullermo del Toro so it was a toss up..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_British_Academy_Film_Awards

Lupita Nyongo for Us as best actress (no chance to win).
Jaimie Foxx got a nomination as supporting actor in the guild awards (no chance to win)
My name is Dolemite maybe as one of the nominees for best picture (no chance to win).

Lupita was great and deserves the nod but Toni Collette was great in a film of the same genre last year and got passed over for a nomination.

more and more it looks like Zelwegger is going to win it. Eating up precursors left and right. Watched the film recently. One of those weird scenarios where the only nomination it will get is the acting one but it will win it (king of like Whittaker with Last King of Scotland).

Anyway solid movie with a great lead performance from a good actress. Wonder if that’s a shot in the arm for Zelweggers career cause she hasn’t been in much in years I think.

Thanks. When you set aside the Netflix movies (Irishman, Dolemite, Marriage) the minority movies (Little Women), and the foreign films (1917, Parasite), i think its apretty easy year to call as far as BP winner is:

IMO It'll be either Once Upon a Time in Hollywood or Joker, with QT being the favorite. It's a HW movie an LA movie, damn good, and QT's long over due.

It should win and, as much as I love Scorsese, QT should win best director.

Supporting actor is going to be ridiculously stacked

Pitt v. Pesci v. Pacino v. Hanks v. either Foxx or Hopkins if the precursor awards are an indicator.

Joaquin Phoenix already said what these bullshit awards are, just give the prize to the most famous and hyped actor of the current times to get ratings and sell ads

so, its just a big load of bullshit
When did he say that?

Usually the guild awards are closer to the Oscars than the globes and the Bafta's.

Basically all the award nominations will be for Once upon a time, 1917, Jojo Rabbit, Irishman, marriage story and Parasite.

I think Joker only wins in best actor category and maybe gets a best picture nomination because they nominate more than 5 films at the Oscars.

Netflix films will get snuffed from winning best picture and Parasite for being foreign. Basically Hollywood vs 1917.
What guild is closest to which movie wins the Oscar?

When did he say that?

What guild is closest to which movie wins the Oscar?

Basically all of them.

Directors, actors and producers have their own guild awards. People think the Golden Globes are a good prediction of how the Oscars will turn up, but thay are not even close. Its not set in stone but usually the guilds are closer to how the Oscar will look.

For best picture its the Producers one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Producers_Guild_of_America_Award

there are a cuople of years where they completly differ (2015 Big Short, but they are pretty close )
by producers Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, and Gareth Unwin
by producer Thomas Langmann
by producers Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck, and George Clooney
by producers Anthony Katagas, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen, Brad Pitt, and Dede Gardner
Gravity (TIE)
by producers Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman
by producers Alejandro G. Iñárritu, John Lesher, and James W. Skotchdopole
by producers Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner
by producers Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, and Marc Platt
by producers Guillermo del Toro and J. Miles Dale
by producers Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga

Basically all of them.

Directors, actors and producers have their own guild awards. People think the Golden Globes are a good prediction of how the Oscars will turn up, but thay are not even close. Its not set in stone but usually the guilds are closer to how the Oscar will look.

For best picture its the Producers one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Producers_Guild_of_America_Award

there are a cuople of years where they completly differ (2015 Big Short, but they are pretty close )
by producers Iain Canning, Emile Sherman, and Gareth Unwin
by producer Thomas Langmann
by producers Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck, and George Clooney
by producers Anthony Katagas, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen, Brad Pitt, and Dede Gardner
Gravity (TIE)
by producers Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman
by producers Alejandro G. Iñárritu, John Lesher, and James W. Skotchdopole
by producers Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, and Jeremy Kleiner
by producers Fred Berger, Jordan Horowitz, and Marc Platt
by producers Guillermo del Toro and J. Miles Dale
by producers Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga
Did you seriously just manually type all that out?

Gravity won, Dunkirk was not that good.

Even the BAFTA didnt gave Dunkirk any awards. You can make the case for 3 billboards wich apparently was a brittish film (didnt knew that, won best brittish film that year), but even the BAFTA gave best director to Gullermo del Toro so it was a toss up..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_British_Academy_Film_Awards

Yeah, but all those movies are more international, than just British. Don't even think Mendes is getting best Director, as the Parasite Director will probably get recognized for how brilliant that movie is and his stellar resume.

I actually like Dunkirk more than i did 1917. It felt more important to the wwII than 1917 felt to wwI, which gave it greater scope. I also think Dunkirk gave me more bang for my buck as a visual experience, with the dog fights and all that. Then there was the rousing ending with the Churchill speech. 1917 by comparison, felt like it peaked early (after the plane crash). Though the whole night time sequence was great, it didn't pack the same emotional punch.

It should win and, as much as I love Scorsese, QT should win best director.

He should. They're stupid if they don't give it to him. He's owed one, and the guy reminded the whole friggin world what a real movie star can do when they're given a great part, great direction, and a green light.

I don't think he gets Best Director, deserved or not, because the Academy will generally split the big awards among a few films when there isn't a monumental film released in the calendar year (like the third LOTR, Titanic, Avatar). Its actually funny that Avengers: Endgame looks to be getting zero traction despite the record box office and fine craft behind it. It just shows you how much animus there is towards Disney and how little people in the industry rate their assembly line filmmaking.

He should. They're stupid if they don't give it to him. He's owed one, and the guy reminded the whole friggin world what a real movie star can do when they're given a great part, great direction, and a green light.

I don't think he gets Best Director, deserved or not, because the Academy will generally split the big awards among a few films when there isn't a monumental film released in the calendar year (like the third LOTR, Titanic, Avatar). Its actually funny that Avengers: Endgame looks to be getting zero traction despite the record box office and fine craft behind it. It just shows you how much animus there is towards Disney and how little people in the industry rate their assembly line filmmaking.

Endgame too appears to be the victim of a pretty stacked year. I don't think it would have got nominated even if it was a weak year (much as I thought it was great), but I think 2017 and 2018 did not have the same level of clear best picture type nominees. I could be wrong, but that's the way I saw it.

Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody got best picture nominations last year to put it into perspective. In my view, Infinity War and Endgame were superior films to those. Significantly so.

Some may have not liked some of the award contender films of this year, but, at the end of the day, Scorsese and Tarantino, two of the best filmmakers of all time delivered two big, acclaimed films. Another very acclaimed director in Bong Jooh-Ho delivered one of the best reviewed films of the year.

I saw some other potential best picture nominees of the year- I found Joker to be very compelling (anchored, of course, by a terrific performance from Phoenix), 1917 is technically very impressive, Greta Gerwig's Little Woman was narratively and acting-wise easily one of the best films I watched this year. Uncut Gems was intense, gritty, and packed with strong performances.

When Endgame came out in April, I remember thinking that Disney would probably make the awards push, but, as these other films came out in the Summer and Fall, it became increasingly clear to me it was going to get boxed out.

I only care about Phoenix tbh. If he loses to Driver or the Elton John kid (even though they did amazing jobs), imma be pissed off.
He should win but you never know and I say that because Ellen Burstyn gave one of the greatest performances ever put to screen playing Sarah Goldfarb in 2000's Requiem For A Dream and was a shoe in to win the Oscar. The Academy however saw it differently and gave the award to Julia Roberts for portraying Erin Brockovich in Erin Brockovich.

prediction: The Lighthouse & Uncut Gems will get snubbed in all the major categories (including performance noms for Pattinson, Dafoe & Sandler)

not a prediction because it’s all but guaranteed, but The Souvenir won’t get the attention it deserves.

Who gives a shit. The Oscars is an artificially engineered joke of an awards ceremony, these days. The quality of the art is a distant concern when awarding the winner.

Back