2020 Oscar Nominations Predictions

No. He'll win best Actor but the film is just OK. There are much better films this year.

Hard to say. It was one of the biggest movies of the year(and fairly respected), so the Oscars might nominate it for a bunch, just for the attention. Best Director/Picture aren't out of the question, to go along with Phoenix's sure Best Actor nom.

Anyways, I think "1917" is gonna win the big two Director/Picture awards.

I agree that The Irishman was bloated. I would have even taken more off than you. Still prefer it over Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood just because it has a story. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood is more just a collection of scenes with no real narrative through line.

Once Upon a Time seemed more like an exploration of a specific time and place than a narrative. It just sort of plopped you down into that place, with some interesting characters, and let you live there for a little bit. It was an unusual movie in that way, but I actually think he pulled it off really well.

I could be convinced that the Irishman deserves it more though. The two are very close to me, that's why I mentioned both. I think Pesci and Pacino were great, both so were Leo and Pitt. It's a tough choice.

I really wanted to like the Irishman but Deniro was just too goddamned old. I said this in the movie thread it was like watching my grandfather try to play baseball. It’s like you could tell he used to be good, but now it’s just getting a little sad and you’re a little afraid he’s gonna hurt himself.

Brad Pitt should win best supporting actor.

I really wanted to like the Irishman but Deniro was just too goddamned old. I said this in the movie thread it was like watching my grandfather try to play baseball. It’s like you could tell he used to be good, but now it’s just getting a little sad and you’re a little afraid he’s gonna hurt himself.

Brad Pitt should win best supporting actor.
lol Couldn't agree more.

Hard to say. It was one of the biggest movies of the year(and fairly respected), so the Oscars might nominate it for a bunch, just for the attention. Best Director/Picture aren't out of the question, to go along with Phoenix's sure Best Actor nom.

Anyways, I think "1917" is gonna win the big two Director/Picture awards.

Agreed. There isn't a really good argument for 1917 not winning BP and BD.
Tarantino will get SP

...I don't know that there's any rule against one man hosting both shows but do you seriously think the Academy would invite Ricky Gervais to host the Oscars?! Are you fucking kidding me?! With the way he roasts people at the Globes?! You think the Academy would stand for that?!...

giphy.gif

...As for why there are 2 different awards for 1 industry, there aren't! What is wrong with you?! There's a ton of different film awards bodies! The Oscars, the Globes, the BAFTAs, the Screen Actors Guild, the Producers Guild, the Directors Guild, the Writers Guild, all the different critics organisations' awards. You seriously think there are only 2?!
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I think I’ll ask Ricky Gervais, he seems to have the hollyweird scene figured out.

One thing never to underestimate is how much Hollywood loves itself, that could well favour Once Upon A Time and Zellweger in Judy, maybe the two leads in Marriage Story a bit more indirectly although part of me kind of hopes they don't win and potentially end up shifting to more Oscar baitfish roles.

Let this Maestro do the hosting, and world will be watching.

We're talking about the Oscars, not the Golden Globes.

Your question doesn't make sense. I never said I have anything against Knives Out.
That Pliney Pete guy seems like the type of person who if you don't totally agree with him about a topic, you have a problem with said topic.

PP: I think Knives Out will get nominated/win the oscar.
Us: Its really good, I dont think it will win, but its really good!
PP: WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST ITTT????
---------------------------------------

My God, not that my opinion matters at all, or one Tom Hanks would care, but anyone else instantly like Hanks less after his reactino to Gervais? I love how Adam Driver reacted to the Epstein joke, everyone else looking on edge....................

Let this Maestro do the hosting, and world will be watching.

That Pliney Pete guy seems like the type of person who if you don't totally agree with him about a topic, you have a problem with said topic.

PP: I think Knives Out will get nominated/win the oscar.
Us: Its really good, I dont think it will win, but its really good!
PP: WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST ITTT????
---------------------------------------

My God, not that my opinion matters at all, or one Tom Hanks would care, but anyone else instantly like Hanks less after his reactino to Gervais? I love how Adam Driver reacted to the Epstein joke, everyone else looking on edge....................
Can't say I was put off by Hanks's reaction.

I only care about Phoenix tbh. If he loses to Driver or the Elton John kid (even though they did amazing jobs), imma be pissed off.

Can't say I was put off by Hanks's reaction.
Many weren't and I get that. I guess I was just still looking at him through my rosey "Hanks Every man" glasses. He just seemed so pompous and offended at Gervais.

Back