2020 Motorsports thread.

You can see the mechanic saw it as soon as Russell was given the green light to leave. So it was too late. Still no word on George getting another chance this weekend.

on another note, could Nikita mazepin have the shortest career in f1? What a moron. He posted a video of him feeling up a lady jn a car and she clearly didn’t want him doing it. What a shit stain.

If they noticed they had the wrong tires on Russell's car, they should have sent Bottas out without removing any tires.

No word on further COVID tests for Lewis either. I think he has to have two clean tests 24 hours apart before he can fly in for the race and would have to be there for qualifying on Saturday to run in the race. I would have thought they would have tested him today and maybe they did.

Mazepin should be dumped because he is too stupid to drive in Formula One but he brings a lot of money. The woman says it was a joke between the two of them but she might have been paid to say that.

Lewis is cleared to race it seems and on his way to Abu Dhabi. Welcome back champ!

Lewis is cleared to race it seems and on his way to Abu Dhabi. Welcome back champ!
It's good to hear he is back and healthy, but I really wouldn't mine another race with Russell in his seat. Last race was the most entertaining/dramatic race I've seen all season.

It must have been a close call with Hamilton because it was being reported that Mercedes had made some changes to better fit Russell in the car.

I see a report that Hamilton has arrived in Abu Dabi .
https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/10...or-covid-19-will-return-to-race-in-abu-dhabi/

I also see that the CEO of Ferrari retired.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/10/ferrari-ceo-camilleri-retires-with-immediate-effect/

I wonder if he was forced out. The article says that the last CEO died shortly after retiring and that Camalleri's family owns controlling interest in Ferrari. Ferrari's F1 team manager Binotto returned home to Germany reportedly due to an illness.

Lewis back in the car today. Finished second fastest behind bottas in fp2. Sounded like the symptoms from covid were pretty harsh. So he may take some time to get his wind back.

Drivers having trouble staying in the track limits. Verstappen takes pole over Bottas and Hamilton.

Drivers having trouble staying in the track limits. Verstappen takes pole over Bottas and Hamilton.
ThAt was a crazy second run in q3. Not sure if the track was just coming alive, but when Lewis set his time I didn’t think it would be beat, the. Bottas beat it and I was shocked. Then max beat him and I lost it. Such a good session.

there was one part where Norris went by Lewis on an out lap that had me laughing. Ham wasn’t expecting it and actually got startled. Haha.
Should be a good race. Hopefully albon can mix it up with the top three on softs.

I wonder if Bottas can overcome his starting problems and get away cleanly.

Mercedes might have screwed up there as they could have left Hamilton out to take the lead and hold up Verstappen. If Verstappen wins and has the fastest lap, Bottas has to finish in the top 4 to keep the point lead for second place. If Bottas finishes 5th, they would be tied for points and I think Bottas might have the tiebreaker in the number of second place finishes as Verstappen and Bottas would each have 2 wins.

If Bottas doesn't have a mechanical failure, he should easily finish in the top 4 to maintain his second place point finish.

Merc really should have left Lewis out there, but I guess they wanted two drivers on the podium. At this point in the season, you gotta go for the win. But honestly, Bottas seems checked out, like he doesn’t have any fight.

Lewis seems like he rushed back. He still seems to be sounding winded and wheezy.

next season should be interesting with all the changes. I can see red bull keeping albon, they have always been a team that wants a clear number 2 driver. Sergio would give max a better run for his money. But I also think albon is given an inferior car to max. We saw the same with seb and Webber.

Someone needs to get a petition going to have that track removed from being used for any races in the future. Not even a second of excitement in the race today. The commentators did their best to try to bring some life to the race, but when the only thing of interest is when someone gets DRS you know it is a boring race.

McLaren have, however, just sold a 3rd of the company to an American firm. I used to like living 20 minutes away from MTC. Hope they don't outsource here.
@Grave Saver

Really sorry they abandoned races in America this year. I've done track days at COTA and I always look forward to that race, knowing the track as well as I do.

Really sorry they abandoned races in America this year. I've done track days at COTA and I always look forward to that race, knowing the track as well as I do.
I hope to gosh I'm living in Austin this time next year. It'll all be back to normal again soon and you can come and give me a piggy back around the track.

Someone needs to get a petition going to have that track removed from being used for any races in the future. Not even a second of excitement in the race today. The commentators did their best to try to bring some life to the race, but when the only thing of interest is when someone gets DRS you know it is a boring race.
Even in 2016 when Lewis tried to hold Nico up in the pack, no one could pass Nico. And Nico couldn’t pass Lewis. That would have been quite the story if Nico was passed. Paddy Lowe
Was pretty pissed during that race but even he said afterward that Lewis was justified trying that.

Formula One hasn't done anything to make passing easier. Wider tires have made corner speeds faster and disturb more air in a straight line. Trying to stay close enough in the corners to use DRS wears out the tires.

Sunday, Mercedes seems to have turned the performance down. Red Bull might have benefited by crashing out of races early and putting less time on their engines.

Back