2020 Motorsports thread.

They didn't seem to be very anxious to go out in the third practice today despite the fears of the track being crowded. They were almost 15 minutes in before they started turning serious laps. Some cars are running hard tires including Verstappen who had a big spin. Teams might have decided that hard tires won't be good for this race. Will they try to start on medium tires and end on soft tires as the track gets cooler and the car lighter?

Bottas is running faster than Russell today and staying within the track limits. Vettel put in a good run to go second fastest which was surprising but they did change wings on the Ferraris.

Now they announced Ferrari will change Vettel's engine before qualifying.

Been watching Romain talk about the crash. So glad he is ok. Man, when he tells the story it actually makes me anxious, and I have never raced a car to even imagine the impact (53gs!) the part he tells me when todt called romains wife minutes after the race. Unreal.

Been watching Romain talk about the crash. So glad he is ok. Man, when he tells the story it actually makes me anxious, and I have never raced a car to even imagine the impact (53gs!) the part he tells me when todt called romains wife minutes after the race. Unreal.

To hear him talking about it taking time to realize that there was a fire then trying to find a way out was scary. The added tire wall at the spot seems to be a wise move.

I think Verstappen ran soft tires on that last run or was that Ocon's Red Bull that they showed being pushed into the garage.

Verstappen and Leclerc top the first run in Q3 as they say the Mercedes went out on used tires in the first run. They go to the top on their run on new tires.

Leclerc with p4 in quali. Hooked up a lap and got out of the car with 8mins remaining in Q 3. Haha

Another Mercedes first row but they don't have the driver who is best at managing the race.

Leclerc with p4 in quali. Hooked up a lap and got out of the car with 8mins remaining in Q 3. Haha

They say he didn't have another new set of soft tires for Q3. How did they screw that up? It looked like Vettel was on a fairly good lap in Q2 but pitted at the end. Max is talking about starting on different tires than the Mercedes so he must have been on softs in the last run in Q2. They were talking about the Red Bulls being faster on longer runs on the hard tires in practice.

It seemed there was a good chance for Mercedes strategy of making the first Q3 run on used tires backfiring if there had been an on track incident that brought out a caution in the later runs but it worked.

Did Red Bull want to start on soft tires? I think Max was fast enough on his first run on mediums to make it to Q3. At least I think he was on mediums for the first run in Q2.

They say he didn't have another new set of soft tires for Q3. How did they screw that up? It looked like Vettel was on a fairly good lap in Q2 but pitted at the end. Max is talking about starting on different tires than the Mercedes so he must have been on softs in the last run in Q2. They were talking about the Red Bulls being faster on longer runs on the hard tires in practice.

It seemed there was a good chance for Mercedes strategy of making the first Q3 run on used tires backfiring if there had been an on track incident that brought out a caution in the later runs but it worked.

Did Red Bull want to start on soft tires? I think Max was fast enough on his first run on mediums to make it to Q3. At least I think he was on mediums for the first run in Q2.
At this point, red bull have to try something different. So maybe get out on a soft set and try and get the mercs on the start. Will be an uphill battle, but safety cars and strategy can play into their hands.

let’s see.

Will Verstappen and Leclerc mix it up in the first turn?

Will Verstappen and Leclerc mix it up in the first turn?
I think so. Let’s see if Russell’s lack of experience starting near the front has any impact on the race. Let’s see if Bottas has a different mentality with Lewis not there to almost always get in his head. Should be Interesting.

I think so. Let’s see if Russell’s lack of experience starting near the front has any impact on the race. Let’s see if Bottas has a different mentality with Lewis not there to almost always get in his head. Should be Interesting.

Seems like Russell usually had pretty quick starts that sometimes got him into trouble back in the pack. It shouldn't be so crowded at the front but he certainly will want to avoid taking both Mercedes out on the start. The dirty side of the track might have given Bottas trouble last week and Russell will start there this week.

So it was Perez and Leclerc with the incident and Max got caught in it.

Bottas just can't get it together.

good grief, what a shitshow.

two things come to mind:

You can't win the race on the first lap, but you sure can lose it.

To finish first, you first must finish.

Any other time in the past 6 years I would have been absolutely loving a fuck up like this from Mercedes. The ONE time I want a Merc to cruise to a win they completely fuck it up.

George won't even get a point. I actually feel sick right now. Poor kid.

I want to know what sacrifice Lewis has made because this shit never happens to him anymore. Fucking hell I've never rooted for a Mercedes so hard, gutted for Russell.

Mercedes completely screwed themselves in this race. Good for Perez and racing point though. He had a great race after the incident with Leclerc that could have taken him out.

Back