2020 LW champ fighting Saturday night?

I like to mess around with the vCash but I don’t make bets unless I’m fairly confident. As far as FightNight143 goes, Hernandez is the only fighter I’m betting on.

Champ material? His performance against Cowboy will be a great gauge. Anything less than a finish will be disappointing imo.

Yeah this is a statement fight for him imo. Let's see how he stacks up vs someone as well rounded as Cowboy.

What are your thoughts on Gregor?

With Khabib potentially moving up in weight (or retiring if you believe his dad?) and Tony turning 35 next month, the best 2 fighters in the division are absolutely no lock to still be relevant for the title 2+ years from now. The division is obviously stacked (Poirier, Gaethje, Al, etc.), but is one of these 2 guys the potential champ in waiting?

View attachment 506197

Hernandez has been really impressive, but is he champ material down the road? Well rounded and improving, 2 years from now is he in the title mix? I have yet to see real flaws in his game, will be interesting to see how his fight with Cerrone plays out.

View attachment 506199

Gillespie is probably the best grappler in the division not named Khabib (and I'm not convinced he's not as good or better than Khabib--at least as a top position grappler). His quality of opponent hasn't been amazing, but he's unbeaten and thoroughly dominated a good fighter in Vince Pichel his last time out. In the past he's had a tendency to maybe brawl a bit too much, but when he puts people on their backs he both holds them down AND does damage or subs them. The guy is a BEAST. He is 31, so he needs to get a big step up in competition after he likely runs through Yancy.

So...what do you think? Are we looking at our LW champ in 2-3 years maybe with one of these guys?
Gillespie seems to be the hier apparent
But in mma anything can happen

Yeah this is a statement fight for him imo. Let's see how he stacks up vs someone as well rounded as Cowboy.

What are your thoughts on Gregor?

Can’t speak on him, haven’t seen any of his fights yet but I’ll be paying attention this Saturday. If he impresses then I’ll be doing some homework!

Yeah he's not a big 155'er at all. But...not cutting much weight may mean better cardio and more longevity for him? He's ragdolled everyone so far, even bigger guys. But we'll see when he steps up in competition.

He has definitely looked very impressive, but the competition has obviously been sub-par if were going to be holding him to the standard of a potential title holder.

This will be his first step up in competition, but at the end of the day it's not too big of a step up, and is still a showcase fight. I'd like to see him fight a striker with good TDD next or a powerful wrestler, for his first real challenge. Give him Khabilov next, it'll be somebody that is a strong wrestler that Gillespie should be much quicker than, and probably out-strike.

I normally hop on bandwagons wayyyy too early but I seriously cannot see the hype with Hernandez

Islam "Mini Khabib" Makhachev gonna take that belt in 2020...

Islam "Mini Khabib" Makhachev gonna take that belt in 2020...

He could be a guy in the mix, yep.

We found out that Hernandez wasn't nearly as ready to be in the mix as he thought he was, but Gregor is.

Back