Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: Inslee and Hickenlooper out

2019 WR Democratic Straw Poll (Pick Up to 3)

• John Delaney (US Congressman MD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Islee (Former Governor WA)

• Marianne Williamson (Entrepreneur)

• Wayne Messam (Mayor Miramar, FL)

• Michael Bennet (Senator CO) *Hasn't decided yet*

• Bill DeBlasio (Mayor New York, NY) *Hasn't decided yet*

• Other (Please Post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kamala is getting so much praise by CNN and MSNBC but I find her very unlikeable compared to Booker so if they want to push another part black candidate I think he is a better choice. If they want a woman then go with Warren. I don't think I will vote for either in the primary.

They're doing it again

They undermine our campaign at every turn then they blame us for voting third party. Fuck the corporate establishment.

Unable to post a link right now but I was wrong about the second debate being twelve candidates. It pretty much the same criteria as the first one. Two nights with ten candidates in each so we mostly are just going to get them mixed on different stages. It’s the debate in September where the criteria is raised and currently under those criteria, only eight would qualify so the amount included is going to have a sharp decline after this July debate. It’s make or break for anyone polling under 2%

Unable to post a link right now but I was wrong about the second debate being twelve candidates. It pretty much the same criteria as the first one. Two nights with ten candidates in each so we mostly are just going to get them mixed on different stages. It’s the debate in September where the criteria is raised and currently under those criteria, only eight would qualify so the amount included is going to have a sharp decline after this July debate. It’s make or break for anyone polling under 2%
Wait, there's a July debate? I thought the next debate was in September?

Edit: I see now. July 30--31. 14 candidates have already qualified, so there are six more slots open.

Already qualified: Buttigieg, Sanders, O'Rourke, Biden, Harris, Warren, Klobuchar, Booker, Castro, Inslee (!), Gabbard, Williamson (!!), Yang, Gillibrand.

Tulsi
Bernie
Andrew

I like Tulsi because she is the most reasonable, well spoken and even-tempered out of anyone I've seen in a long time. While some on the far left would see this as a criticism, I think she has broad appeal and could easily peel away some moderate Republicans or people that didn't vote for Trump. You are going to need that to beat Trump in 2020. You have roughly 50% of the population that voted for Trump. You're either going to need to get some of those people to switch sides or inspire the people that didn't vote last time. I think Tulsi is the only person that can do that so far.

Bernie is my 2nd. My only issue with Bernie is sadly his age. What I love about him is his consistency. Things he said 30 years ago still ring true. I do think if he were President, he would fight hard for change. I just worry at his age and the stress of the job that he wouldn't be able to serve a full term. If he gets the nomination, I would hope he would have Tulsi or a strong VP.

Andrew has a lot of interesting ideas. He's another well spoken and reasonable candidate and I think once you see him in the debates, you're going to see a lot of cross over appeal simply because he states facts. I still need to hear more from him on other ideas. Right now, it feels like he's a bit of a one tricky pony with UBI so I want to hear him branch out a bit.
That quote about Tulsi is spot on and it will take an even tempered person to beat Trump. I dont think Kamala would be well liked enough and warren would get destroyed by trump. Bernie is bernie, theres no secrets. Hes bold and everybody knows what hes all about because hes been saying the same things for a while

Who is that person and is this a meme?

Update on the Q2 fundraising
Track the 2020 Democrats' Q2 fundraising numbers
Axios
The 2020 candidates are slowly revealing how much they've managed to raise during the second quarter of the year — with Mayor Pete Buttigieg leading the Democratic coalition.

Why it matters: These fundraising numbers will be important for the Democratic candidates as they fight to secure their spot for the primary debates. All candidates have to submit their fundraising numbers to the Federal Elections Commission by July 15.

By the numbers:

• Mayor Pete Buttigieg raised $24.8 million with more than 400,000 donors.
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden raised $21.5 million with over 256,000 donors.
  • Sen. Bernie Sanders raised $18 million with nearly 1 million donors.
  • Sen. Kamala Harris raised nearly $12 million from 279,000 donors.
  • Sen. Michael Bennet raised $2.8 million.
  • Gov. Steve Bullock raised $2 million.
The big picture: President Trump and his committees have raised $54 million, while the RNC raised another $51 million.

Last edited:
Biden Apologizes for Comments on 1960s Segregationist Senators
Bloomberg
1000x-1.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden apologized Saturday for leaving the impression he was praising two segregationist lawmakers from decades ago as he discussed civility in Congress, after the comment drew sharp criticism from his opponents.

"Was I wrong a few weeks ago to somehow give the impression to people that I was praising those men who I successfully opposed time and again? Yes I was, I regret it," Biden told an audience of mostly black supporters in Sumter, South Carolina. "I’m sorry for the pain and misconception I may have caused."

Buttigieg campaign multiplies in size after huge cash haul
Politico

Before the first Democratic presidential debates kicked off last week, close to 100 Pete Buttigieg supporters and donors sheltered from the Miami heat in a Hilton hotel conference room, where Buttigieg’s senior staff briefed them on the campaign’s transformation from shoe-string operation to $25 million enterprise.

The officials didn’t reveal Buttigieg’s field-leading second-quarter fundraising total then, but what they did discuss is more important in the long run: how Buttigieg plans to spend the money.

For months, the South Bend, Ind., mayor has run one of the more frugal 2020 campaigns, eschewing on-the-ground organizers in early caucus and primary states and instead focusing on fundraising, media appearances and the candidate’s travel. But Buttigieg is now rapidly expanding his campaign’s footprint to try and build on his gains in the first half of the year.

This is what can make or break some campaigns before Iowa. A lack of fundraising can leave a campaign stagnant. Even surges in cash can be problematic if they are mismanaged.

Bernie Sanders decries planned closing of Philadelphia hospital
Politico

Sen. Bernie Sanders on Sunday assailed the planned closure of a hospital in the battleground state of Pennsylvania, saying it demonstrated the failures of the country's greedy health care system.

Company president Joel Freedman said he "relentlessly pursued numerous strategic options" to keep the Philadelphia-based Hahnemann University Hospital open, but it "cannot continue to lose millions of dollars each month and remain in business."

The Pennsylvania Association of Staff Nurses and Allied Professionals accused Freedman of having "basically plundered" the hospital, which dates back to 1848, "and driven it into the ground," according to a report.

This one was pretty good

Look, look, look, folks, look, look, oh, that's my time

Let’s get blato every time we see this headline:

“Biden Apologizes for Giving the Impression that [Fill in the Blank]”

It seems to be the highest pushed one. I usually look at Politico, WP, Bloomberg, NYT, and Vox and almost all of them made an article just like this yesterday.

Marianne Williamson did a nice thing. Take note Tulsi Gabbard.

From: https://www.newsweek.com/marianne-w...-2020-candidate-mike-gravel-his-voice-1447957
Marianne Williamson Campaign Sends Fundraising Email For Rival 2020 Candidate Mike Gravel: 'His Voice is Important'
Williamson's campaign on Sunday sent out an email asking people to donate to her opponent Gravel — who served as a U.S. Senator from Alaska from 1969 to 1981 — because he's "only 10,000 donations short of qualifying for the July debates."
"During his time in Senate, he garnered wide respect for his unabashed opposition to the Vietnam War and for reading the Pentagon Papers into the Congressional Record, risking expulsion from the Senate. Democracy is, by definition, for the people and by the people. Democracy thrives when brave men like Mike Gravel risk their careers to do what's just and right," she said, before asking her supporters and anyone else receiving emails from her campaign to "please send him to the July debate stage by donating $1 to the Mike Gravel campaign."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back