Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: Inslee and Hickenlooper out

2019 WR Democratic Straw Poll (Pick Up to 3)

• John Delaney (US Congressman MD)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jay Islee (Former Governor WA)

• Marianne Williamson (Entrepreneur)

• Wayne Messam (Mayor Miramar, FL)

• Michael Bennet (Senator CO) *Hasn't decided yet*

• Bill DeBlasio (Mayor New York, NY) *Hasn't decided yet*

• Other (Please Post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong. He lied when he told media on multiple occasions that he "built the clock". He did nothing more than take the plastic case off of a pre-purchased digital clock and put it into a pencil box. It looked like a "bomb" from a Hollywood movie (check the photos online), and the kid's teacher got scared and called the police. Then lazy and/or evil MSM types and the White House treated him as a hero in a feel-good story. It's almost as bad as the Covington High School MSM debacle.

What's your source for that? If it's the boy's word against the police, then you've just showed your bias for everyone to make note of. Looks like standard tribalism to me.

I defend them when they are correct and criticize them when they are wrong. That's just what a fair-minded individual should do. I'm not into the tribalist thing like you.

Your post quality is declining. In a single sentence, you both (a) tried to mind-read me (b) strawmanned me on "cruelty to children by the administration". You're just making things up at this point. What happened to you?

The desperate attempts by persons like you to show that the kid's project wasn't really impressive (or implicitly claim that he was trying to make something that looked like a bomb that required no work) kind of get to the moral core of the American conservative movement.

It's less about whether discrimination is logical or illogical and more about how persons who get discriminated against are worthless anyways and don't deserve to be treated with respect.

Wrong. He lied when he told media on multiple occasions that he "built the clock". He did nothing more than take the plastic case off of a pre-purchased digital clock and put it into a pencil box.

Seriously?

It looked like a "bomb" from a Hollywood movie (check the photos online), and the kid's teacher got scared and called the police. Then lazy and/or evil MSM types and the White House treated him as a hero in a feel-good story. It's almost as bad as the Covington High School MSM debacle.

This is warped. Here's a good description of the whole story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Mohamed_clock_incident.

And amazingly, you think that the president being nice to a kid who went through some shit unfairly is "despicable." That shows what kind of man you are, IMO, especially in conjunction with your views on legitimately egregious violations of decency and basic humanity.

What's your source for that? If it's the boy's word against the police, then you've just showed your bias for everyone to make note of. Looks like standard tribalism to me.

Huh?

I defend them when they are correct and criticize them when they are wrong. That's just what a fair-minded individual should do. I'm not into the tribalist thing like you.

When are they wrong? What is your view of putting children in concentration camps?

The desperate attempts by persons like you to show that the kid's project wasn't really impressive (or implicitly claim that he was trying to make something that looked like a bomb that required no work) kind of get to the moral core of the American conservative movement.

It's less about whether discrimination is logical or illogical and more about how persons who get discriminated against are worthless anyways and don't deserve to be treated with respect.
Are you joking? There is nothing even a little bit impressive about taking a Walmart clock out of its case. I’m really beginning to question your sincerity here.

Are you joking? There is nothing even a little bit impressive about taking a Walmart clock out of its case. I’m really beginning to question your sincerity here.

The point is that it's even a topic of discussion. I don't know exactly what the kid did or if your description is accurate. And, frankly, I don't care because it's irrelevant to the fact that the kid was expelled or suspended for a science project.

If a white kid was expelled for writing a "why American is my favorite country" essay, would you consider it unusual if the liberals' response was to look up his essay and say "wow, this is really poorly written....any schmuck could write this drivel" in order to undercut the narrative that this kid deserved to not be punished or discriminated against?

The point is that it's even a topic of discussion. I don't know exactly what the kid did or if your description is accurate. And, frankly, I don't care because it's irrelevant to the fact that the kid was expelled or suspended for a science project.

If a white kid was expelled for writing a "why American is my favorite country" essay, would you consider it unusual if the liberals' response was to look up his essay and say "wow, this is really poorly written....any schmuck could write this drivel" in order to undercut the narrative that this kid deserved to not be punished or discriminated against?

That’s kinda where I fell on this. Anytime a news story gets nationalized with some kid in high school or lower, I find it pretty tasteless by media outlets that push it. I understand there’s usually an underlying topic to it, but your making some kid the center of it whether intentional or not.

the fact that the kid was expelled or suspended for a science project.
You just made up that this was a "science project", and this wasn't school-sanctioned. At home, the 14-year-old took a cheap store-bought clock out of its plastic case. He then put it into a pencil box. This is the sort of a thing 1st graders do all the time. Here is a photo of the result:

417454fab2143029820f6a7067002f91_c0-0-3504-2043_s885x516.jpg

The teacher says she saw the above and it scared her. Seems reasonable for someone who doesn't understand electronics to be frightened, especially in our society with its proliferation of famous bomb defusing movie scenes.

Also, he wasn't expelled. He was suspended for three days. Without seeing the school's rules, neither of can comment intelligently about whether that suspension was justified.

That's not even close to analogous. Writing an essay is not typically going to scare a teacher the way that a kid carrying around a beeping box full of wires might. Also, I see no evidence that anyone was "discriminated against".

i wonder which candidate the DNC leaked the questions to....

@waiguoren Remember how I said Booker would get a bump after showing off his verbal intelligence at the debate and you scoffed?

Booker’s performance did not jump out to me as especially charismatic or impressive. But I’ve also followed Booker for years, and lived briefly in Newark shortly after he left the mayorship, so I’ve seen and heard him more than most. And it appears that normal people without much contact with Cory Booker really liked what they saw:

Only person that made more search waves was Gabbard
D-EqCCNXsAIjiNg.jpg:large

Eat my tits, you dork

@waiguoren Remember how I said Booker would get a bump after showing off his verbal intelligence at the debate and you scoffed?

Booker’s performance did not jump out to me as especially charismatic or impressive. But I’ve also followed Booker for years, and lived briefly in Newark shortly after he left the mayorship, so I’ve seen and heard him more than most. And it appears that normal people without much contact with Cory Booker really liked what they saw:

Eat my tits, you dork

LOL.

Combined with your clock boy post yesterday, I'm beginning to think you're a troll.

You made an incredibly vague "prediction" about how Booker would get a "bump" post-debate. I pointed out that this "prediction" could be twisted to fit almost any scenario. For example, as long as a single poll within two months of the debate showed Booker increasing, you could claim victory.

But now you've really outdone yourself. You don't even cite a poll. You cite Google search volume. Gabbard also got a lot of searches. Do you think this will manifest as an increase in her poll numbers?

Here, let me show you how it's done. I predict that Booker's RCP polling average will be at least 1.5% higher on July 8 than it is now.

Here, let me show you how it's done. I predict that Booker's RCP polling average will be at least 1.5% higher on July 8 than it is now.

I've glad you've conceded that you were stupid to call him a non-starter candidate.

I've glad you've conceded that you were stupid to call him a non-starter candidate.
Oof, misquotation for the win? I think not.

I claimed over a year ago Booker had no chance to be the nominee.

After the first debate....Booker has no chance to be the nominee. 0.

The 2020 Democratic primary is suddenly wide open
Politico

For months, the Democratic presidential primary has been dictated by Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders. That primary is now over.

After an eventful month and the conclusion of the first round of Democratic debates, there is a new top tier — and a sense among many campaigns and Democratic operatives that Biden and Sanders are suddenly within reach in a race that has broken wide open.

“Bernie and Biden were largely living off of inertia,” said Colin Strother, a veteran Democratic strategist.

Now, he said, voters are becoming aware that “other [candidates], they have a lot of other things to offer.”

The campaign’s evolution came gradually at first — then violently amid the debates. Biden, already damaged by his shifting views on abortion and his one-time work with segregationists, withered under Sen. Kamala Harris’ filleting of his record on busing for school desegregation.

Media Outlets Paid Way More Attention To Kamala Harris After The Debate
FiveThirtyEight
MEDIAANALYSIS-0528-generic4x3.png

Sen. Kamala Harris won; former vice president Joe Biden lost. That’s the media narrative that emerged after last week’s Democratic primary debate. According to data from the TV News Archive, which chops up cable news into 15-second clips,
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ntion-to-kamala-harris-after-the-debate/#fn-1
The TV News Archive measures coverage by splitting CNN, Fox News and MSNBC’s daily news footage into 15-second clips and finding the clips that contain a mention of our search query. Our search queries are the full names of each candidate. The GDELT Television API, which processes the data from the TV News Archive, measures a week of coverage from Sunday through Saturday. The cutoff for measuring coverage for any given day is midnight Eastern Standard Time. (Clock changes for Daylight Saving Time are ignored.)

" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-rendering: optimizelegibility; margin-right: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-variant-east-asian: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 17px; line-height: inherit; font-family: ArnhemPro, Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif; vertical-align: baseline; color: rgb(0, 143, 213); position: relative; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">1 Harris more than doubled the number of clips that mentioned her across the three networks that we monitor — CNN, Fox News, and MSNBC — compared to the week prior. Harris was also mentioned in a third of online news stories that mentioned a Democratic candidate last week, compared to only about 22 percent the previous week, according to data from Media Cloud.Our search queries are the full names of each candidate, except for Julian Castro. Since his name is sometimes spelled with an accent mark and sometimes without, our search query for him looks for “Julian Castro” OR “Julián Castro”. We aggregate the data from Sunday through Saturday of each week to match the queries of TV News. Media Cloud dates articles based on when the article page says the story was published, which means that it is insensitive to time zones and its cutoff times each week may be slightly different than the times used for the cable news data.

Biden on the other hand, saw a reduction in cable and online news coverage.

Pete Buttigieg's campaign says it raised $24.8 million in Q2
Axios
1561977373423.jpg

2020 Democratic contender Mayor Pete Buttigieg's campaign said Monday that it raised $24.8 million during the second quarter of 2019 — with more than 400,000 total donors.

Why it matters: The total, which was the first second-quarter fundraising result released by a 2020 Democrat, is staggering for a candidate who was barely known at the beginning of the cycle.

By the numbers: Sen. Bernie Sanders — with a prebuilt list of donors from his 2016 presidential run — topped the field of 24 Democrats with $18.2 million in donations during the first quarter.

• To highlight how times have changed, at this point during the 2008 cycle, Barack Obama pulled in $32.5 million — then a staggering number — against Hillary Clinton's $27 million in a head-to head race, per CNN.
What to watch: Expect similarly confident 2020 Democrats to release their second-quarter numbers as the FEC's July 15 deadline to disclose fundraising approaches.

Eat my tits, you dork

Corey Booker?

<36>

You really don’t get American politics.

SAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back