Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
WSJ is/was pro trump, discreetly. Excluding them the others are liberal capitalists, like Hillary, Merkel, @Jack V Savage and the like. OK.
They will obviously support that kind of candidate during the primaries. But given that one of the more left wing democrats win there is no way they will support TRUMP against them and they can't simply ignore it. Except if @Trotsky somehow wins the nomination with @Rational Poster as vice.

If I was American I think I'd vote for that Sherrod Brown guy.
{<huh}

There are already about a dozen posts in the last 24 hours from "progressives" who claim to support Sanders, but put more emphasis on how he can't win, can't get nonwhite support, is a weaker version of Beto, his supporters are crazy, and how he better not run third party. Its still 2018...

People would rightly be equally annoyed if Beto fans were saying he should throw a tantrum and run third-party against Bernie if he loses the primary. I don't think you appreciate that to most people, it's not some kind of game where you just want your "team" to win. There are serious real-world consequences to bad policy, weakening of institutions and gov't corruption, and *any* major liberal candidate running third party would throw the election to Trump and thus seriously hurt millions of real people.

WSJ is/was pro trump, discreetly. Excluding them the others are liberal capitalists, like Hillary, Merkel, @Jack V Savage and the like. OK.
They will obviously support that kind of candidate during the primaries. But given that one of the more left wing democrats win there is no way they will support TRUMP against them and they can't simply ignore it. Except if @Trotsky somehow wins the nomination with @Rational Poster as vice.

If I was American I think I'd vote for that Sherrod Brown guy.

I think you have a massively distorted idea of how the MSM in America works (and political alignment here if you think Merkel is ideologically aligned with the left). They're in the business of selling advertising and subscriptions and are institutionally indifferent to politics. To the extent that coverage is biased, it's in the direction of ratings and of trying to reach the broadest possible audiences, both of which lead to pro-Trump tilts in 2016.

Brown is fine. Lots of decent choices but I don't see any that really stand out at this point (well, Oprah, Gabbard, and Bloomberg stand out as particularly bad).

People would rightly be equally annoyed if Beto fans were saying he should throw a tantrum and run third-party against Bernie if he loses the primary. I don't think you appreciate that to most people, it's not some kind of game where you just want your "team" to win. There are serious real-world consequences to bad policy, weakening of institutions and gov't corruption, and *any* major liberal candidate running third party would throw the election to Trump and thus seriously hurt millions of real people.

I think you have a massively distorted idea of how the MSM in America works (and political alignment here if you think Merkel is ideologically aligned with the left). They're in the business of selling advertising and subscriptions and are institutionally indifferent to politics. To the extent that coverage is biased, it's in the direction of ratings and of trying to reach the broadest possible audiences, both of which lead to pro-Trump tilts in 2016.

Brown is fine. Lots of decent choices but I don't see any that really stand out at this point (well, Oprah, Gabbard, and Bloomberg stand out as particularly bad).
I didn't say she is left, I said she is liberal, in the original sense of the world, and capitalist. Not much different from Hillary. Left would be Bernie Sanders or Corbyn.

I didn't say she is left, I said she is liberal, in the original sense of the world, and capitalist. Not much different from Hillary. Left would be Bernie Sanders or Corbyn.

They're not similar at all. Clinton is far closer to Sanders on policy than she is to Merkel.

@Jack V Savage

I think I've asked you either or with Warren or Sanders but do you have a preference on any of the possible candidates already? Also, do you favor someone with governing vs legislative experience or vice versa?

@Jack V Savage

I think I've asked you either or with Warren or Sanders but do you have a preference on any of the possible candidates already? Also, do you favor someone with governing vs legislative experience or vice versa?

I'm familiar with all of the names but I wouldn't say I know enough about many of them to have a preference. If I had to pick one now, it would be Klobuchar, but I don't think I've ever seen her handle an interview so that's super preliminary.

Being governor is probably better preparation for the presidency than being Senator. But it's not a huge thing. The one non-politician I'd consider is Theo Epstein.

This is incredibly ironic considering the real life consequences your team has inflicted.

This is incredibly ironic considering the real life consequences your team has inflicted.

I don't think you know what "ironic" means, but as long as we agree that throwing the election to someone like Trump out of petulance (like Nader did in 2000) is morally objectionable, any other differences are minor. And FWIW, Bernie himself 100% agrees and has stated as much on multiple occasions. He's a better man than any of his WR fans.

You left out the only other Democrat who's actually confirmed he's running in 2020..

I don't think you know what "ironic" means, but as long as we agree that throwing the election to someone like Trump out of petulance (like Nader did in 2000) is morally objectionable, any other differences are minor. And FWIW, Bernie himself 100% agrees and has stated as much on multiple occasions. He's a better man than any of his WR fans.

How about throwing Trump the election anyway by putting everything behind Hillary Clinton. How'd that work out for everybody?
Bernie has stated that (I don't know that he's second guessed himself since Trump won anyway) and I disagree. imo he made a big mistake not running third party.

You left out the only other Democrat who's actually confirmed he's running in 2020..

Do you think he makes the debate stage? He's state senator.

Also, he's not the only one who announced. A house rep already declared. See the OP

@Lead here are my thoughts on your list:

Confirmed
John Delaney (US Congressman MD) (He has no chance. He just want the attention that comes with being first)

Possible
Joe Biden (Former Vice President)
(Best Chance of anyone on this list.)

Hillary Clinton (Former Secretary of State) (Won't happen. Historically, Democrats don't back losers a 2nd time)

Bernie Sanders (Senator VT)
(His endorsement of Hillary Clinton would ultimately be his undoing. President Trump would be able to turn Hillary Clinton into a campaign issue all over again. Bernie would be in a position where he would either have to admit he was lying when he endorsed Hillary, or he will have to defend Hillary, either option will cost him votes.)

Elizabeth Warren (Senator MA)
(She has a 1/1024th chance of winning the primary. She's now a joke online, not a serious candidate anymore. She's gone as far as she can go in Government. The most she can hope for is a cabinet position from now on.)

Their stance on gun control makes them a complete non-starter in the Rust-Belt, South, and Mid-West:
Kamala Harris (Senator CA)
Andrew Cuomo (Governor NY)
John Hickenlooper (Governor CO)
Micheal Bloomberg (Former Mayor NYC/CEO)

Corey Booker (Senator NJ)
(His comical "I am Sparticus" moment puts him in the same position as Warren. He's gone as far as he's going to go in Government spare some cabinet position.)

Voters will read these names and collectively ask "Who?":
Kirsten Gillibrand (Senator NY)
Amy Klobuchar (Senator MN)
Sherrod Brown (Senator OH)
Steve Bullock (Governor MT)
(Even if some of you personally like these picks, understand that they lose to President Trump by name recognition alone.)

Terry McAuliffe (Formerly Governor VA) (He has a better chance of being a VP candidate than anything else. The Democrats desperately need to hold Virginia in 2020. Unless a Virginian is on the ticket, they're going to have a hard time doing that.)

Eric Holder (Former US Attorney General) (@Jack V Savage actually mocked me when I brought up the notion of Eric Holder running for President (I already know he'll pretend not to know what I'm talking about, doesn't matter). Eric Holder isn't running for President per-say. He wants the attention that comes with running for President so he can easily become the mayor of a major metropolitan city. You heard it here first.)

Julian Castro (Former Secretary of HUD) (Being Hillary's VP reject isn't an actual qualification to be President. This guy got bit by the power and attention bug, and he wants another taste.)

Beto O'Rourke (US Congressman TX) (Beto "Over the legal limit" O'Rourke won't even make it out of the primary. The revelations of his drunk driving only came out a few weeks before the election, otherwise the Democrats would have never supported him in the first place.)

Tulsi Gabbard (US Congresswoman HI) (She has enough of a military record that she can actually challenge Republicans on foreign policy without looking weak. She would be an excellent VP pick.)

Oprah Winfrey (She's not going to run. No private person especially wants the kind of scrutiny of their personal lives that comes with running for President. Most people like the attention that comes with talking about running for President.)

Didn't Bloomberg say something about running less on identity politics and more on economy? That might not end well. Lol

@Lead here are my thoughts on your list:

Confirmed
John Delaney (US Congressman MD) (He has no chance. He just want the attention that comes with being first)

Possible
Joe Biden (Former Vice President)
(Best Chance of anyone on this list.)

Hillary Clinton (Former Secretary of State) (Won't happen. Historically, Democrats don't back losers a 2nd time)

Bernie Sanders (Senator VT)
(His endorsement of Hillary Clinton would ultimately be his undoing. President Trump would be able to turn Hillary Clinton into a campaign issue all over again. Bernie would be in a position where he would either have to admit he was lying when he endorsed Hillary, or he will have to defend Hillary, either option will cost him votes.)

Elizabeth Warren (Senator MA)
(She has a 1/1024th chance of winning the primary. She's now a joke online, not a serious candidate anymore. She's gone as far as she can go in Government. The most she can hope for is a cabinet position from now on.)

Their stance on gun control makes them a complete non-starter in the Rust-Belt, South, and Mid-West:
Kamala Harris (Senator CA)
Andrew Cuomo (Governor NY)
John Hickenlooper (Governor CO)
Micheal Bloomberg (Former Mayor NYC/CEO)

Corey Booker (Senator NJ)
(His comical "I am Sparticus" moment puts him in the same position as Warren. He's gone as far as he's going to go in Government spare some cabinet position.)

Voters will read these names and collectively ask "Who?":
Kirsten Gillibrand (Senator NY)
Amy Klobuchar (Senator MN)
Sherrod Brown (Senator OH)
Steve Bullock (Governor MT)
(Even if some of you personally like these picks, understand that they lose to President Trump by name recognition alone.)

Terry McAuliffe (Formerly Governor VA) (He has a better chance of being a VP candidate than anything else. The Democrats desperately need to hold Virginia in 2020. Unless a Virginian is on the ticket, they're going to have a hard time doing that.)

Eric Holder (Former US Attorney General) (@Jack V Savage actually mocked me when I brought up the notion of Eric Holder running for President (I already know he'll pretend not to know what I'm talking about, doesn't matter). Eric Holder isn't running for President per-say. He wants the attention that comes with running for President so he can easily become the mayor of a major metropolitan city. You heard it here first.)

Julian Castro (Former Secretary of HUD) (Being Hillary's VP reject isn't an actual qualification to be President. This guy got bit by the power and attention bug, and he wants another taste.)

Beto O'Rourke (US Congressman TX) (Beto "Over the legal limit" O'Rourke won't even make it out of the primary. The revelations of his drunk driving only came out a few weeks before the election, otherwise the Democrats would have never supported him in the first place.)

Tulsi Gabbard (US Congresswoman HI) (She has enough of a military record that she can actually challenge Republicans on foreign policy without looking weak. She would be an excellent VP pick.)

Oprah Winfrey (She's not going to run. No private person especially wants the kind of scrutiny of their personal lives that comes with running for President. Most people like the attention that comes with talking about running for President.)

I see. I wouldn't write off anyone over sounds bytes though. The Booker thing may have been comical to some but we are in an era where Trump won and he's done a ton of silly things. I'm not really a big believer in taking frivolous stuff like that and writing it off that they are now unelectable. If that's the criteria of how we slim out the field, that says more about the public than that candidate

I see. I wouldn't write off anyone over sounds bytes though. The Booker thing may have been comical to some but we are in an era where Trump won and he's done a ton of silly things. I'm not really a big believer in taking frivolous stuff like that and writing it off that they are now unelectable. If that's the criteria of how we slim out the field, that says more about the public than that candidate

Cory Booker's "I am Spartacus" comment showed such a level of self-centered self-importance and delusion, that it actually mirrored comedy in it's over exaggeration.

Anyone should be skeptical of handing the levers of power over to someone with such a warped self-image.

Didn't Bloomberg say something about running less on identity politics and more on economy? That might not end well. Lol

It would end extremely well if his positions on economy weren't fucking awful and Republican-lite.

It would end extremely well if his positions on economy weren't fucking awful and Republican-lite.

It wouldn't really matter anyways.

Michael Bloomberg's hardline stance on gun control makes him a complete non-starter in the Rust Belt, Midwest, and South.

I'm not sure if Michael Bloomberg is simply considering a run for President because anybody who considers it gets a lot of media attention, or if he's surrounded himself by the kind of people that wouldn't remind him of this basic fact.

Where the fuck is Gen. Wesley Clark? At least prop up a candidate with some bawls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back