Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary Clinton Is Meeting With Potential 2020 Candidates: Report
Bloomberg
800x-1.jpg

Hillary Clinton, the former U.S. Secretary of State and 2016 Democratic presidential nominee, is meeting with prospective Democratic candidates for the 2020 race, with top-tier contenders seeking her endorsement, according to multiple reports.

Clinton has met with Senators Cory Booker and Elizabeth Warren, as well as with Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, Axios and CNN reported. CNN also reported Senator Kamala Harris has met with the former first lady. There are plans for meetings with others.

Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand gauges Wall Street executives' interest in backing a potential 2020 presidential run
CNBC
105660136-1546614772450gettyimages-866274086.530x298.jpeg

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY, is reaching out to Wall Street executives to gauge potential support if she were to run for president in 2020, CNBC has learned.

Gillibrand has personally been working the phones and calling senior executives at Wall Street firms in recent weeks to see whether they would back her campaign if she jumps into the race, according to two senior business leaders who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Donors in the financial community helped back Gillibrand's successful re-election bid last year. Her effort to connect with business leaders this time comes as she contemplates entering what will likely be an expensive and protracted Democratic primary.

There you go, you're already in full shill mode. Not voting Democrat = crazy.

Then maybe you should change your rhetoric to "we gotta get Bernie elected" rather than saying people who support him and his platform are crazy and if he runs third party Trump would get elected. Seems like you have your priorities messed up.

Bernie made a huge mistake not running third party.

Its not true, you don't know what will happen. We already know that 'the most qualified presidential candidate ever' couldn't beat Trump. That happened. Sanders has cross-over appeal and most Democratic Primaries don't allow for non-registered independents to vote, so the Democratic Primary is not the be all end all of the presidential race.
If Bernie had thought he had a shot of winning the 2016 election as a third party candidate, he would have run as a third party candidate. Either you’re overestimating the chances of a third party candidate or he’s underestimating them.

Last edited:
Need to drum up corporate sponsors ASAP.

If Bernie had thought he had a shot of winning the 2016 election as a third party candidate, he would have run as a third party candidate. Either you’re overestimating the chances of a third party candidate or he’s underestimating them.

I don't know that he knew he wouldn't win, but I'm confident in thinking he didn't think it was worth risking; thinking that Trump would win if he split the vote. Guess what happened? Trump didn't need to split the vote. So nobody wins in that scenario other than the Trumplets and the two party monopolists. If strong third party candidates don't run, and run often, then the country will continually be subjected to this farcical illusion of choice that we have now.

But Mr. Biden has indicated that he is leaning toward running and will likely make a decision within the next two weeks, according to Democrats within and beyond his inner circle who have spoken to him recently.

The former vice president last week told a senior Democratic official that he is both likely to run and that his aides have told him he must move quickly in this primary, according to two Democrats briefed on the conversation.

Mr. Biden is under significant pressure from his party’s major donors to make up his mind — no later than the end of January — or risk watching them migrate to other candidates. Mr. Biden and his advisers are highly sensitive to the criticism that in 2015, he dragged out his decision before ultimately opting out of the Democratic primary, exasperating his supporters and undermining the Democratic front-runner, Mrs. Clinton, in the process.

He spent some of his Christmas vacation in the U.S. Virgin Islands calling and texting his would-be supporters and is using this week to hold private meetings in Washington with Democratic officials.

In one of his calls over the holidays, Mr. Biden repeated a variation of a line he has used publicly: “If you can persuade me there is somebody better who can win, I’m happy not to do it,” he said, according to the Democrat he spoke to, who shared the conversation on condition of anonymity to discuss a private talk.

But then Mr. Biden said something he has not stated so bluntly in public: “But I don’t see the candidate who can clearly do what has to be done to win.”

Beta would get obliterated by Trump in spectacular fashion

He won't:
-Push Medicare for all
-Attack the tax code beyond reverting back to Obama/Bush
-Raise the issue of inequality and state the true reasons for the destruction of the middle class

He will:
-Constantly push identity politics
-Take as much wall street money as possible
-Bend over for the neoliberal and neoconservative classes

The corporate campaign WILL NOT work against Trump. He does everything they do so much better and in a way that even makes the right-learning poor and working feel empowered. He will eat any and every corporate Dem alive.

My guess is this: immediately in 2019 the house will start up the impeachment shenanigans and keep digging that hole until 2020....by 2020 everything will be an evident nothing burger and no one will care. Then some guy like Biden or even Beto will be left out to get btfo by Trump....if they are crazy enough to run Hilary again....hold on to your butts...
My guess is this, the Mueller report will come out by April 2019, and it will contain a scathing indictment of Trump Jr and to a lesser extent (not including money laundering charges) Kushner, and Mueller will deliberately leave it up to Congress and the Senate to determine to what degree Trump Sr. was complicit in a scheme to trade favors with Russia before and after the election.

I know there's a non-zero chance Trump's denial, as implausible as it will be to sane people, will receive sufficient support that he will finish out his term, but I think quitting rather than face a criminal charge after he leaves office is the most likely outcome.

If Beto can do a livestream of his Dentist appointments every 6 months, he's a shoe in for the Democrat nomination.

Beto-Dentist-IG-3.jpg

I don't think you know what "ironic" means, but as long as we agree that throwing the election to someone like Trump out of petulance (like Nader did in 2000) is morally objectionable, any other differences are minor. And FWIW, Bernie himself 100% agrees and has stated as much on multiple occasions. He's a better man than any of his WR fans.
We certainly have a common view in this area. To get the immediate satisfaction they crave, they're willing to inflict damage upon the long term health of the country, for reasons that escape me, other than hedonism maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back