Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Whose alt account are you?

I already wrote that this is very likely. Again, my point is that she would be among the strongest to take Trump on.

So Avenatti said he wouldn't run, but Booker is still a top 5 prospect. Want to back out of our bet? You can get out with the low low price of reinstating JVS's signature.

So Avenatti said he wouldn't run, but Booker is still a top 5 prospect. Want to back out of our bet? You can get out with the low low price of reinstating JVS's signature.

Nope. His sig stays.

I think Kloubachar will suffer a name recognition deficit. So, agree to disagree.

Definitely considering people aren’t even getting her name right in the thread (Klobuchar). I’ve finally managed to remember it today but it’s taken some time to finally stick.

In my estimation, Avenatti still has a higher chance of being the Democratic nominee than Booker does. Again, Booker's chance is zero. Avenatti can win in a <1% hail mary scenario.

Definitely considering people aren’t even getting her name right in the thread (Klobuchar). I’ve finally managed to remember it today but it’s taken some time to finally stick.

If she is looking good in the campaign, her name recognition will rise. I don't think it's a major obstacle if someone has a real chance.

If she is looking good in the campaign, her name recognition will rise. I don't think it's a major obstacle if someone has a real chance.

Yea. I was just making the point that she truly isn’t a known politician yet to most people and thus the constant fumbling of her name. I don’t think the name itself is an obstacle but how well known she is could be, especially in a crowded field.

It can be a real obstacle in the primary if she's on stage with 15 other candidates. Not an issue in the general.

In my estimation, Avenatti still has a higher chance of being the Democratic nominee than Booker does. Again, Booker's chance is zero. Avenatti can win in a <1% hail mary scenario.
Booker, man I dunno . Does he think people will take him seriously? Guy just doesn't come off as someone people cannot behind. Trump for all his faults knows how to get people to follow him. That and charisma. If you don't have charisma, you'd better be smart ..Booker has neither

Booker, man I dunno . Does he think people will take him seriously? Guy just doesn't come off as someone people cannot behind. Trump for all his faults knows how to get people to follow him. That and charisma. If you don't have charisma, you'd better be smart ..Booker has neither

I can't speak to charisma (I think Booker is a great speaker but is excessively cheesy), but Booker is undeniably brilliant. He got a Bachelor's and Master's from Stanford in 5 years, became a Rhodes scholar at Oxford, and then graduated from the most prestigious law school in the world, Yale Law. He's been regarded as a BJ Penn-esque prodigy in American politics for some time.

Passive voice tells all.

Political insiders and financiers have regarded him as a BJ Penn-esque political prodigy for some time. Goldman Sachs and the like started trying to get in with him back when he was just a councilman in Newark, a very small potato office.

Let's see the names.

I don't have names. Just like I don't have the names of people saying Obama was a political prodigy, who I am guessing you would agree was one. For both, I just point to obvious history: that both were politicians of impeccable pedigree (Booker's is actually better than Obama's) who received inordinate attention from big political financiers like Goldman in small scale races (Obama's state senate and Booker's municipal campaigns) and were allocated a lot of attention, responsibility, and resources by the Democratic Party toward grooming them for higher office.

I don't have names. Just like I don't have the names of people saying Obama was a political prodigy, who I am guessing you would agree was one.

1) You asserted that "political insiders and financiers have regarded [Booker] as a BJ Penn-esque political prodigy for some time"

2) You are unable to name even one such "political insider or financier".

3) I did not assert that "political insiders and financiers have regarded Obama as a BJ Penn-esque political prodigy for some time", and even though I suspect many such people have expressed this view of Obama, I would not make the above assertion without evidence as you did for Booker.

both were politicians of impeccable pedigree (Booker's is actually better than Obama's) who received inordinate attention from big political financiers like Goldman in small scale races

Could you please elaborate on the "inordinate attention" that Booker received from Goldman Sachs in his small-scale races?

1) You asserted that "political insiders and financiers have regarded [Booker] as a BJ Penn-esque political prodigy for some time"

2) You are unable to name even one such "political insider or financier".

3) I did not assert that "political insiders and financiers have regarded Obama as a BJ Penn-esque political prodigy for some time", and even though I suspect many such people have expressed this view of Obama, I would not make the above assertion without evidence as you did for Booker.

Could you please elaborate on the "inordinate attention" that Booker received from Goldman Sachs in his small-scale races?

JFC, I explained my claim and I don't feel the need to go look up the heads of Goldman at the turn of the century or figure out who coordinated down ballot spending for the Democrats during Booker's rise. I think it's self-evident. If you take issue with it because I didn't list specific agenda setters, then so be it.

JFC, I explained my claim and I don't feel the need to go look up the heads of Goldman at the turn of the century or figure out who coordinated down ballot spending for the Democrats during Booker's rise. I think it's self-evident. If you take issue with it because I didn't list specific agenda setters, then so be it.
got you, too easy.

I can't speak to charisma (I think Booker is a great speaker but is excessively cheesy), but Booker is undeniably brilliant. He got a Bachelor's and Master's from Stanford in 5 years, became a Rhodes scholar at Oxford, and then graduated from the most prestigious law school in the world, Yale Law. He's been regarded as a BJ Penn-esque prodigy in American politics for some time.
He may have a good pedigree but the way he speaks doesn't show it imho. Obama was a pretty good orator so was Bill, Booker seems kinda like he gets lost. Jordan Peterson speaks well and makes you realize he's intelligent and has stuff going on. W Bush even if, IF he is smart, he never showed it when speaking. I think Booker comes off as a wonk and that will only harm his actual prospects when the candidates get whittled down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back