2019 Motorsports thread.

Someone needs to buy NASCAR because it's turned into a joke now

The France family milked it for every penny and pretty much killed it. The age of the fan base has increased. There are fewer and fewer people interested in cars and racing in the younger generations. Video games have become the preferred entertainment and there is even an iRacing league. Racing at local levels is also dying.

Let's see crybaby Hamilton go back to McLaren or try out Williams to prove it and not race in a Mercedes.

Yes I'm a Hamilton hater and can't stand him.

Hamilton is amazing. He's definitely on track to surpass Schumacher by next season, if all goes well. He really could go down as GOAT when he calls it a career.

I
Let's see crybaby Hamilton go back to McLaren or try out Williams to prove it and not race in a Mercedes.

Yes I'm a Hamilton hater and can't stand him.

Not a Hamilton fan, but I have to admit that he's probably one of, if not the greatest.

No sense it putting him into a also rans team because, realistically in any sort of race, how often has a vehicle that's at the very least not in the top 3 won in anything? I can possibly count a handful and one of them was a boat. In F1 right now, it's probably Mercedes 1, Ferrari 1.5 and Red Bull 1.75.

Ferrari just can't get out of their own way and Red Bull probably has the best aero package (as usual) but a few HP off the pace.... And Max being Max

I

Not a Hamilton fan, but I have to admit that he's probably one of, if not the greatest.

No sense it putting him into a also rans team because, realistically in any sort of race, how often has a vehicle that's at the very least not in the top 3 won in anything? I can possibly count a handful and one of them was a boat. In F1 right now, it's probably Mercedes 1, Ferrari 1.5 and Red Bull 1.75.

Ferrari just can't get out of their own way and Red Bull probably has the best aero package (as usual) but a few HP off the pace.... And Max being Max

Team management is a factor as well. How many races this season was Ferrari leading, and then just got out played in the garage? It shows that the whole team does matter, from drivers on down.

I admit, in a Hamilton fan, but I also love Max. I'd like to see them team up as 1 & 2, no disrespect up Bottas. Either on Red Bull or Mercedes.

Formula E starts November 22 in Saudi Arabia.
Does anyone actually watch this? I tried but i just couldnt get into it. The sound they make is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Team management is a factor as well. How many races this season was Ferrari leading, and then just got out played in the garage? It shows that the whole team does matter, from drivers on down.

I admit, in a Hamilton fan, but I also love Max. I'd like to see them team up as 1 & 2, no disrespect up Bottas. Either on Red Bull or Mercedes.

"Ferrari can't get out of their own way" is pretty much my way of putting it. There's no reason why Ferrari aren't matching Mercedes. Driver wise, the quality is the same (though I reserve judgement on whether Vettel can chase). The car quality should be the same, overall with a bit of give and take in certain conditions.

I doubt Max and Lewis would end up on the same team. No matter what they say for the "team" they want to be "1"

"Ferrari can't get out of their own way" is pretty much my way of putting it. There's no reason why Ferrari aren't matching Mercedes. Driver wise, the quality is the same (though I reserve judgement on whether Vettel can chase). The car quality should be the same, overall with a bit of give and take in certain conditions.

I doubt Max and Lewis would end up on the same team. No matter what they say for the "team" they want to be "1"

Yep, agreed on Ferrari.

Ha, that's true regarding Lewis and Max. Max is reckless at times too, which would not go over well for strategy in the garage! Lol

There are drivers that might get a better one lap performance out of a car than Hamilton but he is so steady in the race and able to get the most out of a car and tires.

Did Red Bull's request for clarification of the rules result in Ferrari's reduced performance at COTA?

On October 22nd, Red Bull posed some scenarios that could mask fuel flow to the FIA asking for clarification as to whether they would be legal. Teams hadn't received a response prior to the race in Mexico. The thought was that the FIA wanted to see if anyone was using such a system as they did with the Renault braking system. The FIA finally sent a technical directive to all teams saying the fuel scenarios would be in violation of the sporting regulations. Is it just coincidence that the Ferraris were slower in Texas? We might find out in the two remaining races. Ferrari is very adamant that their engine is legal. The engine might be perfectly legal but they might have been putting more fuel than allowed into it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146959/red-bull-gets-fuel-flow-verdict-amid-ferrari-intrigue

wow, 2010 and only 82 posts.
a man of few words, eh

I just noticed this, lol

Yeah I was MIA from here for a long time. Funny thing, this is my second account. I couldn't remember my password for my original around 2003. I was pulled to other boards due to work restrictions and being a mod on another site.

But glad to be back and see that Sherdog is doing well.

I think this should have been Hamilton's seventh title. I believe that Mercedes gave Rosberg a title to keep him happy but instead led to his retirement by wanting to go out on top. There were too many mechanical and pit problems for Hamilton for it to have been a coincidence that season.
I know there is the whole woulda, coulda, shoulda, but his rookie season was amazing. He lead a good chunk of that season, and if he didn’t get beached in China or Japan (I know, racist of me), he most likely would have won. He out drove a two time champ on his team, while Ferrari teamed up with kimi and massa.

Did Red Bull's request for clarification of the rules result in Ferrari's reduced performance at COTA?

On October 22nd, Red Bull posed some scenarios that could mask fuel flow to the FIA asking for clarification as to whether they would be legal. Teams hadn't received a response prior to the race in Mexico. The thought was that the FIA wanted to see if anyone was using such a system as they did with the Renault braking system. The FIA finally sent a technical directive to all teams saying the fuel scenarios would be in violation of the sporting regulations. Is it just coincidence that the Ferraris were slower in Texas? We might find out in the two remaining races. Ferrari is very adamant that their engine is legal. The engine might be perfectly legal but they might have been putting more fuel than allowed into it.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/146959/red-bull-gets-fuel-flow-verdict-amid-ferrari-intrigue
Pretty interesting. Never heard this one. Will see if they drop off.

I was at a track day recently at Laguna Seca and in the driver's meeting I ended up having a convo with a Brit
driving his brother's Lotus 2-Eleven while in the US. I mentioned how driving on euro tracks must be spectacular with so many to
choose from in the UK alone.
'meh' he said, 'racing is dying over there, tracks are closing and being sold for housing developments.'
fuck me.
at least give me my local tracks, racing gods.
was happy to see IndyCar come to Monterey, Sonoma seems to be thriving and
my country track up in Willows is plugging along.

Racing and farming are casualties of increasing land values and the taxes that go with them. It's difficult to make enough money to cover expenses, insurance and taxes with a limited number of races a year. As track owners age and die off, the next generation cashes out. Some racers get together to buy a track but they face the same problems. Sponsors are getting more difficult to find as there doesn't seem to be any return on the investment.

some good points.
it's ironic that some of the wealthiest ppl who love owning and driving fast cars
aren't more on top of this problem.
maybe they are.
I was in Texas a few years ago to see my son who was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston and we
went to a modest track in mid state one Saturday to race Miatas.
the guy was actually selling the track, and the 20 acres it was on, for like $50k
didn't have my checkbook.
damn.

There are drivers that might get a better one lap performance out of a car than Hamilton but he is so steady in the race and able to get the most out of a car and tires.
Yeah. I was just thinking of the last time Ham made a mistake. He has definitely matured and realized playing the long game in races pays off, whether it’s managing his tyres, engine, brakes whatever. This usually opens him up to benefit from safety cars and strategy. Guys like Vettel with all that experience are still making mistakes on lap one trying to win it all. Can’t win a lap in the first lap, but you can definitely lose it.

I was watching the NASCAR races last night and they were talking about it being the 25th season of truck racing. It seems like it has only been about 10 years.

I'm fucking old!

Yeah. I was just thinking of the last time Ham made a mistake. He has definitely matured and realized playing the long game in races pays off, whether it’s managing his tyres, engine, brakes whatever. This usually opens him up to benefit from safety cars and strategy. Guys like Vettel with all that experience are still making mistakes on lap one trying to win it all. Can’t win a lap in the first lap, but you can definitely lose it.

That and having the most consistently fast car for the last 5+ years. He's a machine though you're right.

Back