2019 Motorsports thread.

How will Ferrari fuck Leclerc this time?

Meanwhile, what kind of shitty barrier was that that sucked Bottas in instead of bouncing off?

It seems that the F1 teams are not happy about the 2021 regulations. It's toward the end of this F1 article.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50197329

Renault isn't happy with their recent penalty for their braking system. Both Renault and Honda are facing opposition to participating in Formula One from board members. Renault is also having financial difficulties from it's partnership with Nissan and basically selling bad vehicles and parts.

As Horner pointed out, as he sat in a news conference alongside Wolff on Friday: "There's a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes but there's no team with any commitment to Formula 1 past the end of 2020. Honda, wisely, are waiting to see how the technical regulations, the sporting regulations pan out, and the commitment of the teams to the relevant Concorde Agreement, so I think we're in a relatively similar position to the other teams around me."

Formula One is also having trouble getting deals with tracks as costs outweigh benefits. Could 2020 be the last season of Formula One?

Formula 1 is unsustainable from a financial point of view.
They require subsidies in all of their events from the hosting country's government. And this money is not coming back in taxes, tourism or public spending because of the event.
A lot of corruption going on. And that is the reason why Formula 1 will not stop: too many people are getting too many cuts and benefits from the events. They will do the impossible to not lose this benefit.

Getting interesting with Bottas getting close to DRS distance on Vettel maybe providing enough harassment to keep Vettel from catching Hamilton. The hard tires might last Hamilton though as one car ran the first 50 laps on them. Hamilton has them later with less fuel load.

Ferrari keeps telling Vettel that Hamilton's tires will start losing time soon but he can't get it under 2 seconds gap. Hamilton keeps the lead and takes the win followed by Vettel, Bottas and Leclerc.

Verstappen gets driver of the race after causing his own problems?

Lewis got squeezed by seb and max. Still ending up winning. What a drive. I love how he complains on the radio and his opponents take his word. Haven’t they learned yet? Hilarious.

Lewis got squeezed by seb and max. Still ending up winning. What a drive. I love how he complains on the radio and his opponents take his word. Haven’t they learned yet? Hilarious.

Mercedes has gotten a lot better at racing strategy and Ferrari seems to have forgotten everything they have learned. With today's wide cars, it's much better to be in front instead of trying to pass.

As far as the future of Formula One, I don't see Renault and Honda as long term players. Honda has had financial setbacks that forced it to close it's UK factory. Honda wants to focus on electric vehicles. Their company was built on motorbikes and cheap cars but like many companies, they lost their way. The motorcycles have evolved into much larger and more expensive motorcycles leaving the low price market to the Chinese manufacturers. They did the same thing with cars, leaving the low price market to the Korean cars.

Renault has always built crappy cars but they were able to get into the US by buying into American Motors while they were owned by the French government. Chrysler bailed them out of that mistake which eventually created financial problems that allowed Fiat to take over Chrysler. Then they did a similar thing with Nissan and that venture is failing too with the CEO being arrested for fraud.

I doubt that the boards of either Honda or Fiat see any value in the Formula One program.

NASCAR has some drama going on too. Kyle Busch and Aric Almirola got into a collision that disabled Almirola's car and several other cars and Almirola has promised revenge. Kyle is in the championship race and Almirola is not so knocking Kyle out of a race could end his chances at a championship. It's rather stupid to get into a confrontation when there is so much to lose.

Championship contenders Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin also got into a confrontation that continued after the race. Logano got the worst of it. Hamlin hasn't made many friends this season so his chances of getting taken out by someone seeking revenge are high.

Listened to Lewis moan for 45 mins about his tyres and then of course he manages them to a win...

Bloody infuriating. I just wished his tyres popped every once in awhile. Danny Ric made his hards last like 50/51 laps.

Listened to Lewis moan for 45 mins about his tyres and then of course he manages them to a win...

Bloody infuriating. I just wished his tyres popped every once in awhile. Danny Ric made his hards last like 50/51 laps.
Haha. That’s the game man. Expect it. When teams can listen to others, it forces teams to come up with strategy. That is a great one. Lewis complaining about strategy, tyres, this that. How he can’t go any faster. They know better than to give information over the radio.

It's difficult to say how much of the radio chatter is real or just for show. Nobody really knew how long the hard tires would last in Mexico because of the practices either starting in the rain or being stopped to retrieve cars or repair barriers after crashes. Ricciardo started the race on hard tires but nobody knew how long they'd last when Mercedes decided to pit Hamilton. I'm pretty sure that Mercedes thought that their only chance was to undercut Ferrari to get the lead. If Ferrari reacts to Hamilton's stop, Mercedes still has Bottas to run longer and hope the Ferrari have tire trouble late with Bottas on fresher tires.

a friend of mine is racing in one of the support races at COTA this weekend.
almost lost his legs recently at Road America in a 94 F1 car driven by Brundle
when he wrecked it.

New F1 rules for 2021 were approved today. This is what the car will look like.

skysports-f1-car_4821905.jpg

F1%202021%20LAUNCH%20RENDERING%20(3).jpg

NASCAR has some drama going on too. Kyle Busch and Aric Almirola got into a collision that disabled Almirola's car and several other cars and Almirola has promised revenge. Kyle is in the championship race and Almirola is not so knocking Kyle out of a race could end his chances at a championship. It's rather stupid to get into a confrontation when there is so much to lose.

Championship contenders Joey Logano and Denny Hamlin also got into a confrontation that continued after the race. Logano got the worst of it. Hamlin hasn't made many friends this season so his chances of getting taken out by someone seeking revenge are high.

That fat dude really rag dolled the hell out of Hamlin from behind. These Nascar fights are so lame. Where's Jimmy Spencer when you need him?

It's difficult to say how much of the radio chatter is real or just for show. Nobody really knew how long the hard tires would last in Mexico because of the practices either starting in the rain or being stopped to retrieve cars or repair barriers after crashes. Ricciardo started the race on hard tires but nobody knew how long they'd last when Mercedes decided to pit Hamilton. I'm pretty sure that Mercedes thought that their only chance was to undercut Ferrari to get the lead. If Ferrari reacts to Hamilton's stop, Mercedes still has Bottas to run longer and hope the Ferrari have tire trouble late with Bottas on fresher tires.

Ricciardo did 50 laps Perez did about 25 and his tyres were long gone before then

Back