2019 Canelo vs 2001 Roy Jones Jr at 175

Guys I think who can beat RJJ mostly at the 175 weight class.
You've never even seen Sam Langford fight

Yet think.he can beat one of the 2 or 3 best talents of the past 30 years

K.

You've never even seen Sam Langford fight

Yet think.he can beat one of the 2 or 3 best talents of the past 30 years

K.
Decent point I am only going off boxing historians view of Langfords skill level. But what refutation do you have for the other boxers I mentioned?

Decent point I am only going off boxing historians view of Langfords skill level. But what refutation do you have for the other boxers I mentioned?
Boxing historians wouldn't put Langford in the same tier as RJJ....

That alone just honestly kinda mutes the conversation for me

Ezzard Charles
The Cincinnati Cobra would have been a handful for anyone in his prime, including RJJ. That would be a super fight. Prime RJJ versus prime Ezzard Charles. Make it happen, Dana.

I know Canelo eventually got the KO vs Kovalev... which was a good win no doubt.l But IMO he has a lot more work to do at 175 before he could be considered to win against the likes of RJJ, let alone Ezzard Charles.

Canelo didn't look great against Kovalev. The finish was spectacular but RJJ isn't going to slow down like that.

Ezzard Charles is the greatest LHW fighter ever.
And yes he would beat Roy Jones.
Ezzard was amazing, and his resume holds up, but technically proficient fighters couldn't handle RJJ. He defied logical boxing physics and laughed at fundamental soundness.

Against James Toney who has A level head movement it looked like Jones hands were so fast no one could slip the punches.

In the first Montell Griffin fight, he seemed to get on a roll slipping which made Jones adopt a very low output. I guess if you duck and dodge the second you see the twitch of the arm you have a chance of moving the right way. Blocks and parries are another factor but you couldn’t rely on them.

On Jones absolute worst day and Canelo’s absolute best it’s possible he could sneak a decision in a very passive fight. Stranger upsets have happened in pro sports.

I think it’s more likely though that Jones times a spectacular punch around round 4 - 6 as he did to full size light heavyweights who had never been knocked out.

He defied logical boxing physics and laughed at fundamental soundness.

Yes!

It's good to see RJJ is still getting respect from people who really know boxing.

A lot of boxing casuals write RJJ off because they just remember washed up RJJ taking all those losses. They don't remember the first 15 years of his career where he was basically untouchable.

RJJ defied all physics and logic.

He could completely shut you down and pot-shot you to an easy 12-round decision without breaking a sweat. But unlike most speedsters, he had ridiculous one-punch KO power in both hands so charging in on him was like trying to slip through running helicopter blades.

A lot of boxing casuals write RJJ off because they just remember washed up RJJ taking all those losses. They don't remember the first 15 years of his career where he was basically untouchable.
Boxing casuals would remember when he was at his peak fame wise.

They wouldn't have watched him at a washed up stage....that'd defeat the entire argument of them being casuals in the first place

7KQKlH2.gif

On Jones absolute worst day and Canelo’s absolute best it’s possible he could sneak a decision in a very passive fight. Stranger upsets have happened in pro sports.

The problem is those rjj bad days never existed in his prime.

One of the absolute most unbeatable, unfuckwithable fighters to ever live yet people on here saying Sam Langford, Spinks etc would be favored over him

yBMHlyY.gif

Apparently i overrated Roy my whole life...

The Montell Griffin DQ wasn’t a bad day? He also lost early rounds against a 40 year old Mike McCallum, no disgrace against a savvy veteran but probably enough to come under the heading of a bad day relative to his other performances.

He was a great fighter and I’d make him a favourite over Canelo but this “he was a superhuman, superman” narrative starts to sound like some six year old shit.

People just don’t understand how dominant Prime RJJ was. People say BHop was green, well so was Jones. People make excuses for James Toney, but he was simply outclassed. The huge KO of an underrated Virgil Hill with one of the best body shots ever, the dominant wins over really high level guys like Reggie Johnson and Mike McCallum, the destruction of a young hungry, strong and undefeated Bryant Brannon. The absolute destruction of Griffin, the clear win over another underrated guy in John Ruiz.... the list goes on and on. I’ll say it again, nobody in history beats the best version of Roy Jones Jr. between 160-175. Not Hagler, Hearns, Spinks, Charles, Foster, Ward or Canelo.
Now you can argue about who would win between Charles and Toney, or Hearns and McCallum, or even Hagler and Canelo... but throw prime Jones in there and only one comes out on top.

Ezzard was amazing, and his resume holds up, but technically proficient fighters couldn't handle RJJ. He defied logical boxing physics and laughed at fundamental soundness.
Bunch of bullshit. RJJ used a boring safety first approach to outpoint Toney,Hopkins, and McCallum none of that razzle dazzle flash he did to B level fighters. If Ezzard fights Jones in a 15 rounder I struggle to see how he doesn't get RJJ timing and rhythm down well enough to hurt and finish Jones.

Boxing historians wouldn't put Langford in the same tier as RJJ....

That alone just honestly kinda mutes the conversation for me

Insofar as people try to compare drastically different eras, Langford tends to be more respected among boxing historians than Roy Jones Jr.

Boxing casuals would remember when he was at his peak fame wise.

They wouldn't have watched him at a washed up stage....that'd defeat the entire argument of them being casuals in the first place

View attachment 676669

I know you like following me around like a lost puppy but next time you try to slam me, try not to make an absolute ass of yourself. That was just idiotic.

Insofar as people try to compare drastically different eras, Langford tends to be more respected among boxing historians than Roy Jones Jr.
But none of them saw him ultimately. How can you say aguy in the sport's infancy had more skill than peak rjj....it isn't logical imho

Back