2018 PotWR Round 5: The General Election

Sherdog PotWR Round 5: General Election Ballot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was actually the only forefather who didn't own a slave. He felt if you owned and worked a farm, you should work it yourself or pay your employees. Also banned slavery as governor of Massachusetts in 1780, well ahead of the nation.

Anyways, he was considered a centrist in his day. As a lawyer, he defended the British who participated in the Boston massacre. Everyone in the US saw him as a traitor, but he knew we needed an unbiased rule of law. That wasn't so popular back then.
Prick

I like how in your explanation A's ideology is vague and hypothetical, but B will definitely tell C to shut up for nonsense reasons created by you to sound like nonsense.

Literally you: Person A might be a fascist, but at least he's not a self righteous prick!

Based on the information you provided, B is the only person who has actually taken any action to censor another person. In fact, telling someone to "shut the fuck up" could be construed as fighting words in some localities (i.e. a crime). It sounds like B is challenging A to a fight, like he's saying "shut the fuck up, or I will shut you up."
Option B is like the Antifa guy in this video:

He's so convinced of his own correctitude that he's willing to label strangers as "Nazis," threaten them, and tell them to STFU. In other words, he's an insufferable jerk who need his clock cleaned. Fuck B.

Mr. A sounds like a guy I would disagree with because I value freedom of speech. If he ever tried to silence me, he'd soon find out that I won't be silenced easily. But he has not done that. He hasn't told B or C to "shut the fuck up." I don't know how you're defining "fascist," but B clearly sounds like more of a traditional fascist than A.

Mr. C sounds pretty cool. Maybe. I don't know anything else about him. He reminds me of Bill Maher in this clip:

There is political corruption on both sides. One side is more racist, but the other side is pandering so much that it circles back to racism.

It's gotten to the point that moderates are being shit on. Wtf.

Yeah, and still literally none of this has literally anything to do with what I was talking about.

You saw the word centrist and it triggered you into defense mode when I was never talking about ideological centrism to begin with.

I was talking about "centrists" remember, I used the quotes right? In reference to idiot e-centrists like Sargon or Molyneux.

He was actually the only forefather who didn't own a slave. He felt if you owned and worked a farm, you should work it yourself or pay your employees. Also banned slavery as governor of Massachusetts in 1780, well ahead of the nation.

Anyways, he was considered a centrist in his day. As a lawyer, he defended the British who participated in the Boston massacre. Everyone in the US saw him as a traitor, but he knew we needed an unbiased rule of law. That wasn't so popular back then.

John Adams is a God damn saint in my eyes considering the era he lived in

A has a right to say whatever dumb shit they would like...

TBH, you sound an awful lot like C already. Perhaps that's why I like you. Beneath the far-Left veneer, you're actually a pretty cool guy with a sense of humor, and respect for freedom of speech.

I will use my right to call them a cunt. I'm not interfering with their right to be a dumb cunt, just calling them what they are. Person A of course will have their vagina packed with sand and pretend, that my calling them out for being a cunt, is completely unfair.

Person B did not call A a "dumb cunt." That's not the hypothetical. He ordered A to "shut the fuck up." A and B are probably going to get in a fight. C will probably have to break it up and lecture them both on the need for tolerance and respect.

The fact that person C is willing to pretend that person A's ideology is worth the time to talk about, makes me believe person C may also be a dumb cunt, but they also have the right to be a dumb cunt.

You got person C all wrong. Person C pays his bills, shows up to work on time, gets the job done, and takes care of his family. He just came to the bar to unwind. He's not trying to start trouble. He probably thinks A is a kook, so he stopped listening after a few seconds. But when C hears B tell A to STFU, he has no choice but to step in. C is the adult in the room. Now he is forced to tell B "back off dude, this ain't the Soviet Union. A gets to speak. Leave him alone."

C is likely very popular with most people. The ladies love him, although he stays faithful to his wife. He's an exemplary dude.

C is defending free Speech
B is utilizing it

Not sure what the pt being made here is

I believe he's arguing that B is a better proponent of free speech than C because B is intolerant of intolerant speech.
That's the argument, though I don't necessarily agree.

Yeah, and still literally none of this has literally anything to do with what I was talking about.

You saw the word centrist and it triggered you into defense mode when I was never talking about ideological centrism to begin with.

I was talking about "centrists" remember, I used the quotes right? In reference to idiot e-centrists like Sargon or Molyneux.

I'm a centrist, you and I seem to get along.

TBH, you sound an awful lot like C already. Perhaps that's why I like you. Beneath the far-Left veneer, you're actually a pretty cool guy with a sense of humor, and respect for freedom of speech.

Person B did not call A a "dumb cunt." That's not the hypothetical. He ordered A to "shut the fuck up." A and B are probably going to get in a fight. C will probably have to break it up and lecture them both on the need for tolerance and respect.

You got person C all wrong. Person C pays his bills, shows up to work on time, gets the job done, and takes care of his family. He just came to the bar to unwind. He's not trying to start trouble. He probably thinks A is a kook, so he stopped listening after a few seconds. But when C hears B tell A to STFU, he has no choice but to step in. C is the adult in the room. Now he is forced to tell B "back off dude, this ain't the Soviet Union. A gets to speak. Leave him alone."

C is likely very popular with most people. The ladies love him, although he stays faithful to his wife. He's an exemplary dude.

<DontBelieve1>
You dont get to make up what person C does. This is @Higus' story. For all you and I know, person A has a micro penis. Person C is Socially awkward, and person B has a large cock, is attractive to the ladies and well into his night of drinking and politely asked person A to stop talking about politics because it was killing his buzz. Person B finally snapped when person C said "fuck the jews, when my party takes control we will stop freedom of speech" then person B said "shut the fuck up". We need more info now from @Higus.

@Lead already said we would have our own categories. The "sketch" award and the "sniper" award

That's when you know you've made it

We're the main attraction around here.

So this is basically a popularity contest isn’t it

No, this shapes the Wr. It is very important business. Only the best and brightest are allowed to run.

Let's take this to the logical conclusion.
Let's say A is not silenced and continues to build support from the dregs of social media. Let's say that he speaks to forums and with tactics that are not conducive to being challenged with traditional intellectually honest, rational debate. Let's say his movement picks up steam and is starting to pick up political traction. Let's say that the movement starts inspiring legislation that erodes free speech.
At what point does C, the supposed champion of free speech, determine that A's views are an existential threat to his values, and what is his appropriate response?

Well Higus, that's a pretty slippery slope. Person A hasn't done any of those things, and a lot of stars would have to align for him to ultimately seize political power. But even if that happened, we live in a government with checks and balances (or at least I do) and it would be virtually impossible for him to take unilateral action. If A actually tried to force people to STFU, he'd find out that people don't want to STFU.

I'm actually more afraid of person B. For one thing, there are actually people in government who have the mindset of B. They believe censorship is right as long as you're censoring the right people. Person A probably fits the bill ("hate speech"), and person C is not far behind ("facilitation" or "encouragement" of hate speech, etc.). In countries where people like B seize power, everyone sounds like B. There are no A's, C's, D's, E's, F's, or G's. People are only free to express the opinions of dictator B. If anyone thinks like C, they dare not vocalize it. Dictator B will send them to one of his "Shut the Fuck Up" camps.

Person C will eventually have to stop either A and / or B from persecuting people. He always has, and he always will. That is the burden of Mr. C—forever a slave to his own virtue. History is the bittersweet story of Mr. C's triumph over A and B.

<DontBelieve1>
You dont get to make up what person C does. This is @Higus' story. For all you and I know, person A has a micro penis. Person C is Socially awkward, and person B has a large cock, is attractive to the ladies and well into his night of drinking and politely asked person A to stop talking about politics because it was killing his buzz. Person B finally snapped when person C said "fuck the jews, when my party takes control we will stop freedom of speech" then person B said "shut the fuck up". We need more info now from @Higus.

I got a little carried away with the Alphabet biographies there, but here's what we know:
C was the credited response, and it's not a close call. This is a very old debate. The idea that some ideas are uniquely dangerous / harmful is nothing new. Our finest minds have debated this issue thoroughly, and they ultimately concluded that freedom of speech means everyone gets to speak. That's the reason—the only reason—we're debating this in the first place.

If @Limbo Pete doesn't get the award thread up soon, we riot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back