2018 Green Bay Packers v.3..... Who's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
WhosNext_Web980px.jpg

One game short of halfway, there appear to be the same questions there were at the start of the season.
Who's next could be who's playing a position next or who's next on the trading block or chopping block.

Who takes over in the secondary? It doesn't appear that they have added any candidates.

Really curious to see how this tweaked secondary plays on Sunday night against the Pats.

I know Tramon played some Safety for Pettine over in Cleveland. Anyone know how he fared?

I never saw many Cleveland games in that time.

Really curious to see how this tweaked secondary plays on Sunday night against the Pats.

I know Tramon played some Safety for Pettine over in Cleveland. Anyone know how he fared?

Think it was two games that amounted to a few tackles and nothing else. He's also not the same physically as a few years ago. Not holding out much hope for this experiment. One upside I see is Tramons far more of a team player. It's much more likely he sticks to his role unlike Dix.

Tramon's probably best suited as an assistant coach at this time. Let Breeland and the kids figure it out

Think it was two games that amounted to a few tackles and nothing else. He's also not the same physically as a few years ago. Not holding out much hope for this experiment. One upside I see is Tramons far more of a team player. It's much more likely he sticks to his role unlike Dix.
I know Dix is ranked as like the #2 Safety in the league but number don't mean everything. Case in point, QBR makes it seem like guys like Allen, Cousins, and Alex Smith as better QBs than Rodgers and Brady.... we all know that's not the case. They rank safeties and DBs based on INTs and pass break ups don't they? I get he's got some great picks for us this year but the dude straight up can't tackle.

Maybe it's my personality but I would MUCH rather have a Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, John Lynch, Ed Reed, Charles Woodson type safety that is a sure tackler over a ball hawk safety. Haha last year couldn't catch a fucking cold standing in the snow soaking wet in wet clothes and this year he's been whiffing the way Matthews whiffs without the excuse of being old as fuck for his position that Matthews has.

I'd much rather have this:

Running the risk of a couple personal fouls over a guy that CAN'T tackle but can get a pick or two every 4 games. Why? There is an intimidation factor guys like Lynch, Earl, Woodson, and Kam brought to that position that is now gone with all of them retired/on the shelf for the year.

Give me a goddamn sure tackling safety over a ballhawk. Leave the ball hawking to the CBs.

I know Dix is ranked as like the #2 Safety in the league but number don't mean everything. Case in point, QBR makes it seem like guys like Allen, Cousins, and Alex Smith as better QBs than Rodgers and Brady.... we all know that's not the case. They rank safeties and DBs based on INTs and pass break ups don't they? I get he's got some great picks for us this year but the dude straight up can't tackle.

Maybe it's my personality but I would MUCH rather have a Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, John Lynch, Ed Reed, Charles Woodson type safety that is a sure tackler over a ball hawk safety. Haha last year couldn't catch a fucking cold standing in the snow soaking wet in wet clothes and this year he's been whiffing the way Matthews whiffs without the excuse of being old as fuck for his position that Matthews has.

I'd much rather have this:

Running the risk of a couple personal fouls over a guy that CAN'T tackle but can get a pick or two every 4 games. Why? There is an intimidation factor guys like Lynch, Earl, Woodson, and Kam brought to that position that is now gone with all of them retired/on the shelf for the year.

Give me a goddamn sure tackling safety over a ballhawk. Leave the ball hawking to the CBs.

Dix is solid but he's not a top five safety. And bullshit rankings aside, this defense is one of the worst at forcing turnovers. I'd take a 2010 style defense that may miss a ton of tackles, but force a lot of turnovers. That style just works better with a Rodgers led offense. 2010s bend but don't break style had 40+ turnovers to end the season. Our defense is on pace for half that in 2018.

All that said, it's not the end of the world. Jones has been good on special teams, and maybe him and Tramon will do just fine. I'm very encouraged by how the team has reacted to the last week. They seem fired up and pissed off. We all know Rodgers pissed off is enough to carry a shit defense.

Dix is solid but he's not a top five safety. And bullshit rankings aside, this defense is one of the worst at forcing turnovers. I'd take a 2010 style defense that may miss a ton of tackles, but force a lot of turnovers. That style just works better with a Rodgers led offense. 2010s bend but don't break style had 40+ turnovers to end the season. Our defense is on pace for half that in 2018.

All that said, it's not the end of the world. Jones has been good on special teams, and maybe him and Tramon will do just fine. I'm very encouraged by how the team has reacted to the last week. They seem fired up and pissed off. We all know Rodgers pissed off is enough to carry a shit defense.
I feel like this defense is capable of a lot though too. Look what they just did to the Rams. Yeah, the Rams ended up ramping up a ton of points and Gurley got near 200 yards but if the offense is 2 of 9 on third down they (the defense) will start to wear down.

Like, the first three quarters Blake Martinez had Gurley's lunch, dinner, and breakfast from the next day and Jaire was making Woods and Cooks his bitch.

So it appears that Gut is going to want to go balls to the wall for the short-term in free agency, right? If so, my 2019 wish list:

1. Dee Ford, Edge
2. Jadeveon Clowney, Edge
3. Lamarcus Joyner, S/DB
4. Jake Fisher, OT
5. Ali Marpet, C/G
6. CJ Mosley, ILB
7. Jordan Hicks, ILB
8. Landon Collins, S
9. Travis Swanson, C/G
10. Shane Ray, Edge

I realize that ILB isn't a huge need right now, but I think both Mosley and Hicks are two of the most underrated and undervalued players in the league

Woooooo no more Tramon at cb!!

Fuck it I'm in on him at safety let's go

Woooooo no more Tramon at cb!!

Fuck it I'm in on him at safety let's go
So does this mean King, Alexander, and Jackson are the 3 starters at CB going forward? This could be very VERY fun to watch or hard to watch.

Looks like Geronimo is going to miss the game
MVS and Brown have shown they are more than capable of hanging and isn't Kumerow due back in a week or 2 anyways too from IR? We're safe at WR for the forseeable future and I would wager if Kumerow shows he can produce with Rodgers in the regular season AND this shoulder injury was from a stupid mistake he'll be what Amendola/Edelman/Welker were for the Pats.

Kumerow and Rodgers have only played in the pre-season though. I know a lot of people are really high on him, but his ceiling is pretty low as a 26 year old journeyman WR compared to MVS and EQ; who are showing big play ability.

But I do wonder if Kumerow can give us more production than Geromino.

Kumerow and Rodgers have only played in the pre-season though. I know a lot of people are really high on him, but his ceiling is pretty low as a 26 year old journeyman WR compared to MVS and EQ; who are showing big play ability.

But I do wonder if Kumerow can give us more production than Geromino.
Wasn't Welker seemingly a bust slot receiver until he met Brady? Welker was 26 when him and Brady hooked up.

And I get it was pre-season but Kumerow was running PAST dudes as a slot receiver AND.... if they didn't want him around why did they IR the guy? Probably could have just waived him if they didn't want him but they used an IR spot on him.

And this probably isn't a big deal but... he was sat right next to Rodgers for team photos.

Wasn't Welker seemingly a bust slot receiver until he met Brady? Welker was 26 when him and Brady hooked up.

And I get it was pre-season but Kumerow was running PAST dudes as a slot receiver AND.... if they didn't want him around why did they IR the guy? Probably could have just waived him if they didn't want him but they used an IR spot on him.

And this probably isn't a big deal but... he was sat right next to Rodgers for team photos.

You For real?<Moyes5>

If that's the case then I'm very intrigued.

Maybe he gives us more of what Cobb gave us in 2014 except with more consistency.

Oh, and this is just damning. Jennings with actual real talk is the Jennings I've always liked.

You For real?<Moyes5>

If that's the case then I'm very intrigued.

Maybe he gives us more of what Cobb gave us in 2014 except with more consistency.

Oh, and this is just damning. Jennings with actual real talk is the Jennings I've always liked.

Yeah, Welker didn't hook up with Brady until he was 26 after he left the LOLphins. Amendola was 28 when he left the Rams and joined Brady and Edelman in NE. Edelman is the only home grown slot guy Brady has had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker#New_England_Patriots_(2007–2012)

Jennings away from Cowherd is ok as he seems less sour grape-y on Undisputed but I can't help but remember how bitchy he was when he left.

Yeah, Welker didn't hook up with Brady until he was 26 after he left the LOLphins. Amendola was 28 when he left the Rams and joined Brady and Edelman in NE. Edelman is the only home grown slot guy Brady has had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Welker#New_England_Patriots_(2007–2012)

Jennings away from Cowherd is ok as he seems less sour grape-y on Undisputed but I can't help but remember how bitchy he was when he left.

I knew about him coming over from the dolphins, but didn't realize he was the same age as Kumerow is now. Pretty cool parallel.

Also it's hilarious how Amendola went to the dolphins after his stint with the Pats.

Man, Jennings still can't let that shit go. He is obviously still not over how he left the Packers, but isn't time supposed to heal all wounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back