2018-19 MLB Offseason discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF is Toronto thinking? I was hoping they would eat about 5 million and Dodgers pay 15. Jays are paying 16.4 of the deal. Why not just keep him as your 2nd catcher for 3.6 million.
Because you get 2 lotto tickets for a guy that sucks // when you won't be good // play a kid instead (they have 2 young catchers)

Assuming Tulo makes it through ST without landing on the DL. My bet is on Torres at SS, LeMahieu at 2B for much of the first half.

Yeah Gleybae is an awesome SS. They're fine there and will just cycle the other guys into the other spots as needed

If Andujar stops being Candujar at 3B it'll make life a ton easier on them, but that's asking a lot

Year two of free agents getting low balled. Boras must be sweating bullets and pounding sand right now.

get ready for another strike
It could happen, but they aren't going to be able to negotiate higher salaries. If the players union make that their main sticking point, the checkmate to that would be a salary cap which in all honesty baseball needs.

Need to lower years of control if teams aren’t going to pay 30+ players anymore.

It could happen, but they aren't going to be able to negotiate higher salaries. If the players union make that their main sticking point, the checkmate to that would be a salary cap which in all honesty baseball needs.
There's already a de facto salary cap with how the luxury tax has been implemented. They could argue for salary floors though. Lots of teams are just being cheap.

Record revenues and teams are spending less on salaries. How can there not be a strike?

Can’t really blame the teams tbh. Like 90% of these big contracts end horribly for the team. Maybe raise the player minimum and make a salary floor like someone else mentioned. Guys shouldn’t expect 8-10 year deals at this point though.

Already mentioned- just lower years on rookie deals. 6 years is silly, and teams fuck guys over with late callups to make it 6.5. and that's not counting all the time in the minors. 4 years of major league control. More guys will be hitting FA at 28-under 30 and solve it.

I don't think 4 years of control going to help teams like CIN, CLE, KC, MIA, OAK, PIT, TB? They already rely on early team friendly extensions and high production during pre and early arbitration years. I think it would kill their ability to compete.

I think that players and their agents need to be more realistic with their negotiations. MLB players enjoy fully guaranteed contracts. There's a lot of disastrous contracts out there and the clubs are on the hook for every penny irregardless of how poorly the player performs. They've got guys earning 20 million to bat .200 with 15 HR or barely pitch into the 5th inning repeatedly, meanwhile, there's some dudes earning half a million and in the MVP and Cy voting. It's insane.

If they want to continue to enjoy their fully guaranteed contracts and high AAVs, then they should settle for shorter contracts.

WTF is Toronto thinking? I was hoping they would eat about 5 million and Dodgers pay 15. Jays are paying 16.4 of the deal. Why not just keep him as your 2nd catcher for 3.6 million.

They have two young catchers that need playing time(Jansen, Mcguire) +Mailee who could probably produce similar to Martin

Brito has some talent. Jays did well here.

Can’t really blame the teams tbh. Like 90% of these big contracts end horribly for the team. Maybe raise the player minimum and make a salary floor like someone else mentioned. Guys shouldn’t expect 8-10 year deals at this point though.
Putos is really earning that contract lol

I don't think 4 years of control going to help teams like CIN, CLE, KC, MIA, OAK, PIT, TB? They already rely on early team friendly extensions and high production during pre and early arbitration years. I think it would kill their ability to compete.
No one cares about those teams regardless.

If teams can only compete by holding salaries down, time for contraction. Not buying any of them crying poverty.

They have two young catchers that need playing time(Jansen, Mcguire) +Mailee who could probably produce similar to Martin

Brito has some talent. Jays did well here.
Of course they don't need Martin. But to take on 16.5 million. Dodgers murdered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back