2017 Fight of the Year: Justin Gaethje vs Michael Johnson Free Fight video

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
One of the most violent fights ever at LW.

Unfortunately, I think this one is what cracked Justins chin, and he's made zero improvements to stop taking maximum damage.

This was an entertaining fight.

Man, MJ really pissed that fight away.

The way to consistently outstrike a fighter like Gaethje is to dart in and out with long jabs and straight punches, he has that "take one to give one" drunken striking approach where he enjoys brawling in clinch range and does a good job at it. If you stay inside the pocket after throwing you are in Gaethje's world, MJ was obviously not the best suited fighter for a proper gameplan like that

One of the most violent fights ever at LW.

Unfortunately, I think this one is what cracked Justins chin, and he's made zero improvements to stop taking maximum damage.

it's frustrating how he doesn't seem to care about combining his hands and brutalist mentality with the wrestling that should be his biggest strength
he has that entire skillset and years of wrestling in his pocket and just never uses it at all

it's frustrating how he doesn't seem to care about combining his hands and brutalist mentality with the wrestling that should be his biggest strength
he has that entire skillset and years of wrestling in his pocket and just never uses it at all

For sure.

His early fights, he was slamming mo-foz on their heads left & right.

He completely threw his wrestling out the window in favor of being a wild brawler.

Exciting for the fans no doubt, but tard-level fight IQ.

That’s the just bleed mentality

“I eat my shit whole baby”

tenor.gif

Its like watching two walkers from the walking dead fight.

Gaethje is on a long list of wrestlers who fell in love with his hands... hopefully he realizes his chin can’t be relied upon in a battle of attrition at this level and he makes adjustments to his future gameplaning

I thought Oliveira vs Medeiros was FOTY 2017, but this one was on the second place for me.

His fight with Alvarez was also a candidate for FOTY, and his fight with Poirier is a candidate for FOTY this year. The guy is a warrior!

dudes a human punching bag

i suspect post poirer ko a slight breeze will knock him out.

Back