NCAA Wrestling

Logan Stieber will go to the world championships this year.

And Dake and Taylor. This team is going to be tough to beat imo
Agreed. I think most of them will medal and get around 3 golds. Burroughs probably gets gold unless he somehow looks like an old man by September, Snyder has a 50/50 shot if Sadulaev is there imo - first match was very close, and maybe James Green at 70? Depends how Ramonov and the other 70kg guys look (I pick Ramonov if he looks good at the Russian nationals).

Steiber at 65 is good, but Bekbulatov beats him if they ever face, same with Khinchegashvili imo - they both tech falled him relatively easily (Khinchegashvili more than Bekbulatov). I think Dake has a nice shot, but Geduev can get gold at 79 and has a great shot at it. 86.. although Taylor already beat Yazdani, Yazdani has looked really untouchable last year and this year so far, so I pick Yazdani no. 1 at 86. 125.. ruled by Akgul/Petriashvili - no change.

Gilman looked good last year, so I wouldn't put him out of a shot at gold/silver.

Who is your guy at 61? Unless you have someone special, I think Rashidov is almost a lock at 61.

This is of course, if all of these guys win at the Rus/whatever country's nationals lol. But I think I am right with who will win. I think Tsabolov will win at 74 again.. then lose to Burroughs - but their match last year was pretty close and Tsabolov scored on him with good attacks.

What about the greco squad? Anybody to look out for?

2018 World Championships look to be pretty epic. Rematches, rival matches and hopefully we can get more gold..

61 will likely be Joe Colon. If he wins a match, I'll consider it a victory. Steiber won't do anything at 65. He's too small and should be our rep at 61. Hopefully, he realizes it after this year and goes back down.

I think USA will medal at 70, 74, 79, 86, and 97. I think 57, 92, and HWT have decent chances to medal but I'm not picking them.

Here is a short clip from Kyle Crutchmer's MMA debut last night:

I don't suppose anybody knows how to get the full fight?

I cant view the link but did you see Dieringer in his corner? Maybe some interest in MMA???

I cant view the link but did you see Dieringer in his corner? Maybe some interest in MMA???
I don't know what Dieringer looks like, lol. But I heard that he is very good, he lost to Valencia, right? It is always good to see All Americans try out mma and succeed. I liked watching Phil Davis fight.. when he grappled. Sometimes he thought he was an excellent striker and forgot all about his wrestling/didn't have good set ups to get to wrestle the top opponents in mma (namely Rumble, Bader).

I don't know what Dieringer looks like, lol. But I heard that he is very good, he lost to Valencia, right? It is always good to see All Americans try out mma and succeed. I liked watching Phil Davis fight.. when he grappled. Sometimes he thought he was an excellent striker and forgot all about his wrestling/didn't have good set ups to get to wrestle the top opponents in mma (namely Rumble, Bader).

I have no idea if he has interest in mma or not but Dieringer is a 3x NCAA champion and a former junior world silver medalist. So if he goes the mma route, he has some definite top level wrestling credentials.

Diering is a white kid with a red-head afro type hair cut. Very distinct look. I doubt he will fight MMA though, he's a 3x NCAA champ and has won some big matches and tournaments internationally. He was most likely in the corner bc they both went to Oklahoma State.

What about the greco squad? Anybody to look out for?

2018 World Championships look to be pretty epic. Rematches, rival matches and hopefully we can get more gold..
The Greco trials will be this week I believe. Most of the team will probably be young guys like Coon, Hancock, Bey, etc.

Coon is simply amazing! If he can take out Gwiz, even more impressive.

Darrion Caldwell is moving up to featherweight for those interested. Good move imo.

Wait... Coon is competing in Greco and Freestyle? Or is Gwiz in Greco too?
Coon has been doing both. He won the Greco spot on the US team yesterday and faces Gwiz for the freestyle spot today. The man is a machine!

Coon has been doing both. He won the Greco spot on the US team yesterday and faces Gwiz for the freestyle spot today. The man is a machine!
Wow, he is pretty crazy. Awesome. Do you see him doing any better at the worlds than Gwiz done? I think Gwiz looked good last year with the bronze. I don't see anybody getting past Akgul/Petriashvili, but it is tough at 125.

Wow, he is pretty crazy. Awesome. Do you see him doing any better at the worlds than Gwiz done? I think Gwiz looked good last year with the bronze. I don't see anybody getting past Akgul/Petriashvili, but it is tough at 125.

We'll get a better feel after seeing how he does against Gwiz today.

They haven't competed in 2 years and Gwiz apparently had a shoulder injury that season.

I agree it looks like everybody is competing to be number 3 after Akgul and Petri.

Snyder posted videos of himself training with Akgul this year and he was tossing Snyder around.

Coon at least has the size to stand toe to toe with them so I'm very interested to see how he does against them.

USA team going to Budapest:
59: Thomas Gilman
61: Nahshon Garrett
65: Logan Stieber
70: James Green
74: Jordan Burroughs
79: Kyle Dake
86: David Taylor
92: J'den Cox
97: Kyle Snyder
125: Nick Gwiazdowski

USA team going to Budapest:
59: Thomas Gilman
61: Nahshon Garrett
65: Logan Stieber
70: James Green
74: Jordan Burroughs
79: Kyle Dake
86: David Taylor
92: J'den Cox
97: Kyle Snyder
125: Nick Gwiazdowski

I see 2 gold’s (JB & Snyder), 4 silvers (Gilman, Green, Dake, and DT), and 2 bronze (Cox and Gwiz). Russia better bring their A game or we are going back to back.

Zahid is the future at 86kg. I think we see him there next year.

We'll get a better feel after seeing how he does against Gwiz today.

They haven't competed in 2 years and Gwiz apparently had a shoulder injury that season.

I agree it looks like everybody is competing to be number 3 after Akgul and Petri.

Snyder posted videos of himself training with Akgul this year and he was tossing Snyder around.

Coon at least has the size to stand toe to toe with them so I'm very interested to see how he does against them.

Woah I'd love to see that, you wouldn't have a link to the Akgul - Snyder session would you?

I see 2 gold’s (JB & Snyder), 4 silvers (Gilman, Green, Dake, and DT), and 2 bronze (Cox and Gwiz). Russia better bring their A game or we are going back to back.

Zahid is the future at 86kg. I think we see him there next year.

I think Cox gets Gold this time.

He seems like he's really motivated and all in with wrestling. Last year he appeared to have to have 1 foot out the door and he still medaled.

Back