NCAA Wrestling

Damn I didn't even realize that Bellator also signed a guy named
Romero Cotton. Total beast, huge American Folkstyle High School wrestling prospect who got a wrestling scholarship for Division I but ended up doing some time in prison. He came out and wrestled Division II and won 3 National Titles. Whoever is scouting talent for Bellator is picking these guys with interesting and (obviously) high level wrestling backgrounds, its very smart.
Nice, I will go and watch his fights from youtube. I always like it, you can see the difference between the fluidity of a wrestler from college and a standard mma wrestler. Tatiana Suarez (or Tatiana Padilla?) is fighting this weekend, a world's bronze medalist in 2008 and in 2010 at 55kg, and the winner of that category was Saori Yoshida, can't be too mad at a bronze there. I assume she would have a nice college wrestling background, too.

Also, Migran Harutyunyan is scheduled to make his debut on Saturday, too. Nice weekend for international medalists.

Damn I didn't even realize that Bellator also signed a guy named
Romero Cotton. Total beast, huge American Folkstyle High School wrestling prospect who got a wrestling scholarship for Division I but ended up doing some time in prison. He came out and wrestled Division II and won 3 National Titles. Whoever is scouting talent for Bellator is picking these guys with interesting and (obviously) high level wrestling backgrounds, its very smart.
Also, how good is Jordan Oliver's freestyle background? Asgarov has been the top 2 and beat Frank Chamizo twice at 65kg, now at 70kg, it is hard not to see him as one of the top guys.

Also, how good is Jordan Oliver's freestyle background? Asgarov has been the top 2 and beat Frank Chamizo twice at 65kg, now at 70kg, it is hard not to see him as one of the top guys.
He's very good and has won/medaled at some big tournaments. He has traded wins and losses with many of the best Americans at his weight over the years ie Stieber, Metcalf, Green, Molinaro etc. I am pretty sure he beat Kurbanaliev a few years back. He is very good but for untimely losses and some bad luck hes never really quite crossed over into that top dog spot.

Deron Winn had an impressive showing too. Ive been saying for a while now, he is the wrestler to watch. He is a machine!

He's registered in the WTT at 92kg this weekend... Dude is doing both MMA and Freestyle at this high a level at the same time?? Dudes a beast, why doesn't Pico try to do both.

He's registered in the WTT at 92kg this weekend... Dude is doing both MMA and Freestyle at this high a level at the same time?? Dudes a beast, why doesn't Pico try to do both.
Oh shit! I don't know why but after seeing him fight so close to the US Open I assumed he was done with wrestling (again. for now.). For some reason I never considered he would go to WTT where he is actually qualified at both 97 and 92 kilos. Of all the wrestlers in MMA I see him getting a UFC belt. He is insanely powerful and has natural punching power. he kinda reminds me of a young DC. And even though he has outstanding wrestling credentials, I don't believe they adequately demonstrate how well he can wrestle. He's had high scoring matches with so many of the best guys in the world, even in the matches he's lost. He has wins over world medalists, NCAA DI champs, Olympians, etc.

Here is Olympic Champion: Soslan Ramonov into the finals of the World Military Championships:

He is returning from a lingering knee injury.

Oh shit! I don't know why but after seeing him fight so close to the US Open I assumed he was done with wrestling (again. for now.). For some reason I never considered he would go to WTT where he is actually qualified at both 97 and 92 kilos. Of all the wrestlers in MMA I see him getting a UFC belt. He is insanely powerful and has natural punching power. he kinda reminds me of a young DC. And even though he has outstanding wrestling credentials, I don't believe they adequately demonstrate how well he can wrestle. He's had high scoring matches with so many of the best guys in the world, even in the matches he's lost. He has wins over world medalists, NCAA DI champs, Olympians, etc.

He's doing well now in MMA but do you really think 205 is his best weight? With the day before weigh in he could make 185 easily, he's only what 5'7" and looks to have some excess fat. I guess why fix what isn't broken though.

He's doing well now in MMA but do you really think 205 is his best weight? With the day before weigh in he could make 185 easily, he's only what 5'7" and looks to have some excess fat. I guess why fix what isn't broken though.
Was his last fight at 205? Wikipedia has it listed as a MW bout. And I would expect him to fight at MW. He has wrestled a bunch internationally at 86 kilos. Hes wrestling at 92-97 kilos bc UWW changed its weigh in procedures drastically (which you may already know).

Was his last fight at 205? Wikipedia has it listed as a MW bout. And I would expect him to fight at MW. He has wrestled a bunch internationally at 86 kilos. Hes wrestling at 92-97 kilos bc UWW changed its weigh in procedures drastically (which you may already know).

My mistake, I think his first or second fight may have been at 205 which is why I was confused. Still an amazing thing what he is doing right now competing in both sports at this level the same time.

He's very good and has won/medaled at some big tournaments. He has traded wins and losses with many of the best Americans at his weight over the years ie Stieber, Metcalf, Green, Molinaro etc. I am pretty sure he beat Kurbanaliev a few years back. He is very good but for untimely losses and some bad luck hes never really quite crossed over into that top dog spot.

I don't think he's ever lost to Steiber or Molinaro in Frestyle.

Metcalf was his kryptonite. I think he beat Metcalf once at the Open or some tournament but Metcalf is the one that kept him off the team up until 2016. That should have been Oliver's year but I think he was injured leading up until Trials which resulted in a depleted gas tank. He was a point away from teching Aaron Pico but he gassed out and Pico came back to beat him in the 2nd period.

He beat Retherford last year at the US Open and was the favorite to make the team but he pissed hot for Adderall or something like that and got his 1 Year ban that turned into a 2 year ban because USA wrestling moved the Open up a week and removed the Last Chance Qualifier......

Getting KOed in his debut probably drove him to concentrate on MMA for the time being.

I wouldn;t be shocked if he makes a shot at the Olympics on 2020 doe

I don't think he's ever lost to Steiber or Molinaro in Frestyle.

Metcalf was his kryptonite. I think he beat Metcalf once at the Open or some tournament but Metcalf is the one that kept him off the team up until 2016. That should have been Oliver's year but I think he was injured leading up until Trials which resulted in a depleted gas tank. He was a point away from teching Aaron Pico but he gassed out and Pico came back to beat him in the 2nd period.

He beat Retherford last year at the US Open and was the favorite to make the team but he pissed hot for Adderall or something like that and got his 1 Year ban that turned into a 2 year ban because USA wrestling moved the Open up a week and removed the Last Chance Qualifier......
Yeah, I don't think he ever beat Green either. Why am I thinking Stieber beat J.O.? He did in the NCAA's right?

I don't even remember them wrestling. Green must have had a good amount of size on him.
Yeah Steiber beat Oliver in the NCAA finals in a controversial match. Green and Oliver had a little banter on Twitter back in 2016 and agreed to enter the Non Olympic weight WTT. Green beat him there.

JO is quite a bit older as well. I think he would have been a senior when Green was a freshman if they ever were in college at the same time. Oliver is ~28 and Green is ~24.

Getting KOed in his debut probably drove him to concentrate on MMA for the time being.

I wouldn;t be shocked if he makes a shot at the Olympics on 2020 doe

74 will be stacked so I'm sure he tries for 65. Zain has never beaten him so that will be an interesting weight if Pico decides to try out.

74 will be stacked so I'm sure he tries for 65. Zain has never beaten him so that will be an interesting weight if Pico decides to try out.

Zain did give Oliver all he could handle last year and he's purely training for the Olympics while Pico is splitting time.

With that said the style matchup has always been in Picks favor. Zain bullies people on his feet and Pico had superior hand fighting and a nasty snap that Zain couldn't get through. It will be interesting.

Zain did give Oliver all he could handle last year and he's purely training for the Olympics while Pico is splitting time.

With that said the style matchup has always been in Picks favor. Zain bullies people on his feet and Pico had superior hand fighting and a nasty snap that Zain couldn't get through. It will be interesting.
Has Zain ever defeated Pico? In any style?

That's an interesting conundrum for Pico. He's only gonna get bigger as he becomes a man and with the new weigh in procedures cutting to 65 kilos might be tough. Pico may be making really good money by 2020 so I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't wrestle. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

JO is quite a bit older as well. I think he would have been a senior when Green was a freshman if they ever were in college at the same time. Oliver is ~28 and Green is ~24.
Yeah man I'm pretty sure they only wrestled once at the 2016 trials.

Back