2016 Rio Olympic Wrestling Discussion

I know Jordan Burroughs, but i'm not familiar with Sadulaev. I'll keep an eye on his fights.

97KG/213lbs might be the best overall weight class. If Yazdani from Iran is healthy I think it's a tossup between him, Snyder (US), Boltukaev (Rus) and Gazumov (AZE).

Another really fun guy to watch I Bonne from Cuba at 57KG/125lbs

USA!, USA!, USA!, wooooo, Helen into the semi's with 3 takedowns in the last minute or so. THe girl was just looking to stall and counter, great adjustments on offense and great heart by Helen

USA!, USA!, USA!, wooooo, Helen into the semi's with 3 takedowns in the last minute or so. THe girl was just looking to stall and counter, great adjustments on offense and great heart by Helen

I almost shit myself during that match.

Elena gets the win as well. Apparently over the defending world champ.

I can agree about Greco being dull, but freestyle points scoring is ridiculous. Oh, they rolled over super fast? Points awarded!
Freestyle is simple, don't go to your back, period

Freestyle is simple, don't go to your back, period

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. I would prefer a happy medium between freestyle's "exposure" points and folkstyle's "ride time"

Yeah, I don't agree with that at all. I would prefer a happy medium between freestyle's "exposure" points and folkstyle's "ride time"
They do in folkstyle, You have to hold them there for 2-5 seconds to get nearfall

And generally , while I love folkstyle, the people in my experience who complain the most about freestyle exposure are people with sloppy technique on their takedowns or aren't disciplined enough to train/develop baseline defense and too dependatn on funk

They do in folkstyle, You have to hold them there for 2-5 seconds to get nearfall
Yeah. This whole, "back brushed the mat for .25 seconds, lose two points" style of freestyle is goofy.

I thought Gray was probably the surest person to win this Olympics (coz didn't Sadulev allegedly tear his ACL and knee a few months ago?), surprised she lost to 'Jessica Penne with Giganticism' from Belarus, especially because she easily beat her in the recent past.
I have a soft spot for Belarus (best Rus) so hopefully she can go on to win gold now even though she's boring as fuck to watch

That foot sweep/single Helen hit was fucking sweet!

Best Rus 2 - 'Murica 0

su-by.gif

Burroughs/Geduev in the quarters...

I've never done freestyle. I just think that way of scoring over what amounts to nothing is just nonsensical.
Lol, it doesn't amount to nothing. he overriding parameter of the sport is "don't go to your back...period" , once that parameter is established much like points for passing guard, something that seems really simple is suddenly very hard.

If you don't like the sport and are wondering why wrestlers are so tough because it doesn't make sense to you fine. But it's not nonsensical given the parameter is don't gi to your back

Fuck these random draws. Want to grow the sport? Let's have the best two competitors make the finals...

Lol, it doesn't amount to nothing. he overriding parameter of the sport is "don't go to your back...period" , once that parameter is established much like points for passing guard, something that seems really simple is suddenly very hard.

If you don't like the sport and are wondering why wrestlers are so tough because it doesn't make sense to you fine. But it's not nonsensical given the parameter is don't gi to your back

I know why wrestlers are tough. I wrestled in school. I was simply giving an honest opinion on a forum.

Yeah after wrestling folkstyle freestyle can seem odd
Yeah. I mean, Greco seems odd, because you take away the legs, but compared to folkstyle, freestyle just seems so alien.

After my freshman year of high school, I went to a week long wrestling camp, and one session was each given to freestyle and Greco. Greco was difficult, but I had a hard time wrapping my head around freestyle. It sucks that these two styles aren't emphasized more in the U.S, because unless you come from somewhere that a facility that teaches it is readily available, you'll never be able to learn them.

Back