2016 highlights

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Pugilistic, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

Any memorable moments or bumps in the road for you this past year? Looking back, I think my 2016 has been kind of shitty overall but I’m sure the things that shaped me will provide more opportunities in the future.

For me:

•I went through a pretty jarring break-up at the very start of the year
    •Got a new job, which might be the longest time I held onto a regular job, and as a result the most I’ve ever had money
    •Trained for and fought in a boxing match for the first time after my last fight almost 2 years ago
    •Got my orbital bone broken on both sides of my face during the fight and went through a painful recovery, along with realizing I probably can’t fight again
    All of those events evoked a lot of soul searching and thinking about where I want to be in life. In particular laying in bed after the orbital wall surgery realizing I can no longer do my favorite thing ever (well, second after sherdog), really made me think about shit.

There were a few minor highlights too:

Briefly dated this extremely hot model chick was cheating on her boyfriend with me. She later got a bit crazy on me. Had to rerethink how I approach dating.
    Kind of “broke up” with one of my best friends
    Another good friend of mine left to another country for good
    Got back into writing and reading, and read a lot more books this year than I usually do
    Realized I could hunt for pigeons

Share your 2016 highlights sherbros

2. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

^Pug is a can. 2016 proves it

You forgot to mention you changed your diet to be 100% live pigeons

3. Tamriel Terror

Tamriel Terror Silver Belt

Just graduated fron UNC-Charlottte with my BSBA in Finance

Also started dating a great girl

Der Eisbär and Pugilistic like this.
  4. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

2016 has been fairly uneventful; I've worked a lot and gained some big insights both technically and socially. Unfortunately, a lot of those social insights have led me to realize how far I've gone astray in my own life.

I guess, if anything, 2016 has been a year of gearing up for what's to come.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    Der Eisbär likes this.
  5. gespenst

gespenst Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

So it was you who started this topic on eating pigeons caught in urban environment. So how did it play out?

6. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

The biggest lesson of 2016 was that I’m canlet who eats pigeons

Oh and I learned there are people who believe the earth is flat. Like that’s actually a thing.

trolololol likes this.
  7. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

This is going to be disappointing, but honestly, I didn’t actually do it yet. It’s very cold where I live now and I rarely see pigeons these days. I guess they’re all hiding somewhere. I’m no pigeon expert. The only time I really see them is in the morning on my way to work but I obviously don’t hunt them then since I have to go to work. I could make time on the weekend but I’m usually too busy recovering from a hangover.

Well I did walk around in the afternoon one weekend to find some and I saw none! I guess it’s the weather as they are usually everywhere when it’s warmer. It’s funny how you realize things when you start to pay attention. I never knew before pigeons were less active in the winter although it makes sense.

I did watch some videos of people doing it and cleaning the birds seem to be fairly easy. I certainly do plan on taking pics of the results and posting it here when I do it, and I will do it!

8. gespenst

gespenst Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Well yeah, I am disappoint a bit.

But keep us updated on recent developments for sure. I think that it may actually play out well, nice idea actually. Crazy, but sill. Let's say you want to go really frugal and survive for a couple thousand dollars a year then it's a way to go.

Can't catch them in crowded areas though as people will most likely report you to police for animal abuse, lol. But let's say if you have access to the roof of a big building, some skycraper where they nest and BTW I'm kind of a pigeon expert cause as a kid I used to explore attics of big project type buildings and there are tons of pigeons there, there are eggs as well, I guess you can collect them for food.

There you can plant your traps and catch them in quantities.

Great idea, keep us updated.

Der Eisbär and Pugilistic like this.
  9. j123

Just leave bread in an area, and they'll cum to you

10. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

Come

Had a 24 year old chick text me 'cum to my desk real quick.' Thought I was about to stumble into the best smash session of my long boring life and it turns out she just doesn't know how to spell.

11. j123

Biggest let down of 2016.

You're safe. Leave your mark on her desk, and she can't hold you liable, she told you to do so.

Der Eisbär likes this.
  12. dildos

dildos Steel Belt

im still waiting for something good to happen any minute now.

13. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

Would only be right.

14. Monopoly

Monopoly Out of mana.

Started out pretty damn badly tbh, but IT ended on a high note.
    I moved to a great apartment, I managed to save a good amount of money and my daughter was born in early December. feelsgoodman

trolololol and Der Eisbär like this.
  15. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

Pigeon expert eh? Have you ever eaten them?

Around here it’s legal to kill them because they’re categorized as pests but people may think I’m a weirdo.

I’m still trying to figure out their behavior. I actually never seen a pigeon egg or chick now that I think about it. They’re more mysterious than I thought.
    Good idea. I’m planning to go to a park with some bait the weekend after Christmas. Since it’s cold there won’t be many people to watch me. After work would be the best time for me to get them but they are nowhere to be seen after sunset.

16. j123

[​IMG]

Pugilistic likes this.
  17. Der Eisbär

Der Eisbär Banned Banned

Honestly 2016 was a pretty shit year. One of the worst.

That aside:

I grew up a great deal. Gained a great deal of maturity, perspective and insight. I now have a path success in my life.

I finally have a handle on my drinking.

I was moved from a temp to full time at my job; granting me paid vacation, paid sick leave, medical and dental insurance, paid holidays off, and a matching 401k. This is the first time I've ever had any of these things.

Got registered back in school. Finally have my shit together and the maturity to return to school and obtain the education I need to build my future.

18. j123

It can get out of hand pretty easily, esp. since its not seen as "a drug". I remember when it was bad (and even then still not that bad compared to some) and I originally set out of 1 day a week, then it became 3 days, then I realized things got really bad when I started drinking on training days after the gym. I always make a self note rule not to drink on training days. I got it back down to the usual 1 day, then half a year later I got sloppy and it came back to 3 days; Had to redo it again to drop it back down.

Don't you work in IT? I figure if you have a job in your field, there's no need to go to school for the time being right? I know a couple of guys who were self-taught, got into freelance, then eventually settled down with a regular company after building up their resume.

Der Eisbär likes this.
  19. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

Good to hear about your drinking mate. I’ve been drinking more these days to fill the hole that boxing and training left but after last weekend, I think I need to cut back

Der Eisbär likes this.
  20. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

I've seen you talk about this before and I'm just wondering WHY you feel the need exactly?

Don't wanna just buy a chicken or even a Cornish hen at the local market? Don't wanna just take a shotgun out to the woods and shoot a pheasant (dunno how feasible that is in Korea)?

I'm genuinely curious.