2016 Fighter of the Year?

The 2016 Fighter of the year

• Total voters

Wanderlei4Life

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Who is your fighter of the year? This year there isn't a clear cut favorite for the title. Maybe the media since they are all over Lomachenko but I think there are many worthy contenders.

I'll list who I think should and deserve in the running. You can add any names I forgot.

Can a mod add a poll please? @PUO3 @RR

Carl Frampton with two good wins against Scott Quigg at 122 and Leo Santa Cruz at 126lb.

Lomachenko beating Rocky Martinez for 130lb title and making Nicholas Walters quit.

Andre Ward with a close win against Sergei becoming two division champ.

Manny Pacquiao returning after poor performance against Floyd, comes back fights p4p Tim Bradley, drops him twice then fights prime 147lb champ Vargas and drops him to become champ again.

Terrance Crawford stopping Hank Lundy, beating Postal for Lineal title at 140, stoping tough guy John Molina.

I'd say Frampton is probably the best call. But they're all good picks (well, I don't think I'd have Manny). Yamanaka had a good year too, he beat the solid Solis and then left no doubt against Moreno in a FOTY contender.

Last edited:
I'd say Frampton is probably the best call. But they're all good picks (well, I don't think I'd have Manny). Yamanaka had a good year too.

I think PAC should def get a nomination.

A lot of people said he was done after the Mayweather fight. Tim just dominated Jessie and ko'ed Rios. Fans, media, and bookies had Bradley over Manny in he 3rd fight. PAC dominated him and dropped him twice. Then to come back and fight a top 6 prime champ ten years younger in his division and win a clear UD with a KD.

There really is no clear cut choice.

Crawford beating Postol might be the single best performance, but Lundy and Molina don't mean a ton. Frampton beating Quigg and Santa Cruz might be the best combination of wins. Walters and Martinez are two good wins for Lomachenko. Ward beating Kovalev is clearly the best single win on paper, but it was a razor close fight. Barrera is a half decent win, but Brand does little for him. Gonzalez beat Cuadras (the 2nd or 3rd best win on paper even if it was a close fight) and Arroyo (Arroyo is better than he got credit for). Bradley and Vargas is a half decent resume for Pacquiao.

Honestly, I can see arguments for any of those fighters.

Loma bless.

I think PAC should def get a nomination.

A lot of people said he was done after the Mayweather fight. Tim just dominated Jessie and ko'ed Rios. Fans, media, and bookies had Bradley over Manny in he 3rd fight. PAC dominated him and dropped him twice. Then to come back and fight a top 6 prime champ ten years younger in his division and win a clear UD with a KD.

Bradley was a solid win, but he was a 2 to 1 underdog, and not too many people were picking Bradley from my memory.

Chocolatito for me.
He challenged a very good, undefeated champion with more power and bigger in size than him and beat him, getting a belt in a forth weight division.
He's still P4P the best in my book.

Honestly, even someone like Charlo with wins over Trout and J-Rock isn't too far from being the conversation.

Objectively and without any bias whatsoever...I gotta side with Manny Pacquiao again. He defeated a P4P contender in Tim Bradley and defeated him rather easily...and then goes on defeat a much younger, battle tested warrior in Vargas.

Breakout of the year has to be Usyk or Corrales (Corrales definitely UOTY)

Carl Frampton 2 division champ! No doubt

There really is no clear cut choice.

Crawford beating Postol might be the single best performance, but Lundy and Molina don't mean a ton. Frampton beating Quigg and Santa Cruz might be the best combination of wins. Walters and Martinez are two good wins for Lomachenko. Ward beating Kovalev is clearly the best single win on paper, but it was a razor close fight. Barrera is a half decent win, but Brand does little for him. Gonzalez beat Cuadras (the 2nd or 3rd best win on paper even if it was a close fight) and Arroyo (Arroyo is better than he got credit for). Bradley and Vargas is a half decent resume for Pacquiao.

Honestly, I can see arguments for any of those fighters.

Glowacki is prolly the 3rd best win on paper after Ward and Cuadras. And Usyk was very dominant in that win too.

being biased went for Frampton But Loma probably deserves this. Definitely a 2 horse race this year

Ward, he took the challenge fans wanted to see. Frampton DID NOT fight Rigo, and signed on for another fight with a guy he clearly bested so he can continue avoiding Rigo into 2017. Loma was brilliant, beat one of Salido's conquerors, and beat Walters who people were high on still for some reason, but the truth is both Walters and Martinez were easy scalps for the taking and Loma's year will be if he fights (and can beat) Mikey Garcia or even better if him and Rigo mix it up. Both dangerous fights for him. Pac had a nice year. Crawford did beautiful work exposing Postal, but Crawford spent another year showing us he was a higher class of fighter smoking b levels. I think Ward took the most dangerous and relevant fight, and came back from a rough start to prove his craft once again, that was impressive. And props to Kov for making it a close fight

Glowacki is prolly the 3rd best win on paper after Ward and Cuadras. And Usyk was very dominant in that win too.

Yeah, Usyk would be in the conversation if he beats Mchunu tomorrow. Not that Mchunu is anything special, but having more than one win would help Usyk's claim.

Ward, he took the challenge fans wanted to see. Frampton DID NOT fight Rigo, and signed on for another fight with a guy he clearly bested so he can continue avoiding Rigo into 2017. Loma was brilliant, beat one of Salido's conquerors, and beat Walters who people were high on still for some reason, but the truth is both Walters and Martinez were easy scalps for the taking and Loma's year will be if he fights (and can beat) Mikey Garcia or even better if him and Rigo mix it up. Both dangerous fights for him. Pac had a nice year. Crawford did beautiful work exposing Postal, but Crawford spent another year showing us he was a higher class of fighter smoking b levels. I think Ward took the most dangerous and relevant fight, and came back from a rough start to prove his craft once again, that was impressive. And props to Kov for making it a close fight

In fairness, Postol was far and away the number 2 guy after beating Matthysse, and Crawford earned the lineal distinction with that win.

Back