2015 NFL Draft Discussion v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd probably say R3 but it's just a guess.

He probably just became my #1 target for the Jags to take in round 3. We pick up a solid FA like Bulaga to play RT and redshirt Ogbuehi for 2015.

For sure. But he could be in the #1 overall discussion if he keeps improving.

Yep. His parents met at Cal and both have degrees. He's said getting a Cal degree is really important to him. But I also just remembered that he was an early admit, so it's quite likely that he could be ready to graduate by the time the 2016 draft rolls around.

he is six foot, 220.

WTF? I think Ohio State is inflating stats. Like Cardale being 250 pounds. That's Antonio Gates big. Guy is big but not NFL tight end big. Same with Elliott. He looks 200 or 205.

But anyway, that's crazy that he's only a sophomore. He's gotta be a front runner for the 2015 Heisman and a top 5 pick next year.

More effort than Fowler? Not sure about that. Fowler plays about as hard as any player I've seen this year. Maybe '13 Fowler.

Thats the issue tho, Fowler had times last year in which he basically quit during plays. You are right, he gave a much better effort this year, but its hard to shake that taste out of your mouth. As an Alabama fan, he was mostly neutralized by a decent OL and gameplanning but in the NFL teams cannot just simply load up against DFJR because of the talent everywhere.

He isnt quite as good as Dominique Easely pre-injury IMO, and I don't think his ceiling is as high as Dupree. Dupree has played with basically a bunch of 2* guys his whole career with teams planning against him, while Fowler has benefited from playing alongside guys like Dominique Easley last year.

Im not as high as some are on Ray, he can be neutralized at times and is not a great run defender. The DL gap between Leonard Williams and everyone else is quite large IMO, including Gregory.

Do you evaluate talent for a living? Just curious btw.

On some of the other posts, I believe Cooper has put himself as clearly the #1 WR prospect because of his ability to be a factor on every type of pass; He is a GREAT on the deep ball, can execute the fade route excellently, crisp routes, and is elusive in space. Speed is no issue, neither is athleticism. His only knocks are he isnt a huge guy and may get bullied by the bigger CBs and he is prone to drops at times.

He isn't quite the prospect Julio Jones was coming out of college, but Julio is a generational player. The elite in the NFL right now, Julio/Megatron/Dez/Demaryious/AJ Green (although I put Green behind those guys)/Brown is as good a WR position as I have ever seen.

I cant see Strong as a first round pick with guys like Cooper, White, and Parker. Strong does have flaws, as Im sure youve seen if you watch film.

And to the Bama fan talking about Henry, are you on crack? Why are other Bama fans so high on Derrick Henry? Did you not see him at times this year? He is a big dude with speed, but Yeldon was LIGHTYEARS ahead of him in pass protection and vision. Yeldon dropping to #6 RB prospect is insane, its only because he has been injured. Healthy, he is just behind Gordon and Gurley IMO.

Thats the issue tho, Fowler had times last year in which he basically quit during plays. You are right, he gave a much better effort this year, but its hard to shake that taste out of your mouth. As an Alabama fan, he was mostly neutralized by a decent OL and gameplanning but in the NFL teams cannot just simply load up against DFJR because of the talent everywhere.

He isnt quite as good as Dominique Easely pre-injury IMO, and I don't think his ceiling is as high as Dupree. Dupree has played with basically a bunch of 2* guys his whole career with teams planning against him, while Fowler has benefited from playing alongside guys like Dominique Easley last year.

Im not as high as some are on Ray, he can be neutralized at times and is not a great run defender. The DL gap between Leonard Williams and everyone else is quite large IMO, including Gregory.

Do you evaluate talent for a living? Just curious btw.

On some of the other posts, I believe Cooper has put himself as clearly the #1 WR prospect because of his ability to be a factor on every type of pass; He is a GREAT on the deep ball, can execute the fade route excellently, crisp routes, and is elusive in space. Speed is no issue, neither is athleticism. His only knocks are he isnt a huge guy and may get bullied by the bigger CBs and he is prone to drops at times.

He isn't quite the prospect Julio Jones was coming out of college, but Julio is a generational player. The elite in the NFL right now, Julio/Megatron/Dez/Demaryious/AJ Green (although I put Green behind those guys)/Brown is as good a WR position as I have ever seen.

I wasn't very high on Fowler coming into the year but he's definitely been one of the most improved players I've seen this year. Looks like he got his weight down and has played with a hell of a motor. I'm still not as high on him as others though (seen people have him Top 5). I'm not sure how his game translates. Love the violence he plays with (especially his hands) but idk if he's strong enough to beat tackles in the NFL consistently. Against LSU he was basically stonewalled every time he matched up with La'El Collins. Like Fowler better as an OLB in the NFL.

Agree on Dupree, I've been high on him all year (Top 20 preseason). He's a freak athlete and still has untapped potential. Needs to do a much better job with his hands, but hopefully that's something NFL coaches can get out of him. He's just unbelievably fluid and explosive for a guy that's 6'3"-6'4" 265. Natural lower body flexibility and explosiveness. Think he can be a really good 3-4 OLB.

Biggest concern with Ray for me is the stiffness in his hips. Ridiculous burst off the line though and he's a high effort guy. Supposedly runs in the 4.4's.

Agree on Cooper. He'll be my #1 WR come draft time no matter what. Maybe the best route runner I've seen at the college level. Unbelievably fluid and explosive. Looks like he's gliding out there. But also has so much sharpness in and out of his breaks. Hands can be an issue but he's a very hard worker. Kind of guy that takes pride in his craft and getting better. Already handles himself like a pro. And he's about as competitive as any player in the country. Not the natural athlete Julio, Dez, Megatron, etc. are but he's so savvy I have no doubts he'll be a very good player for a long time. Kind of guy you want on your side.

And I do this more as a hobby than anything. Just something I enjoy doing.

I wasn't very high on Fowler coming into the year but he's definitely been one of the most improved players I've seen this year. Looks like he got his weight down and has played with a hell of a motor. I'm still not as high on him as others though (seen people have him Top 5). I'm not sure how his game translates. Love the violence he plays with (especially his hands) but idk if he's strong enough to beat tackles in the NFL consistently. Against LSU he was basically stonewalled every time he matched up with La'El Collins. Like Fowler better as an OLB in the NFL.

I agree with the Fowler assessment. He does have a violent streak, which is a positive, unless he takes it too far and gets penalties and plays dirty. He has done that on more than one occasion especially if he is being neutralized.
He did shed weight, ~20 pounds, and has that intensity this year that he lacked at times last year. He does not have the mass to play DE in a 3-4, maybe in a 4-3. But do you think he has the speed to play OLB in the league? He is not a 4.4 guy, he's quick but has never had to drop back in coverage or play standing up. (OT, do you remember Ronald Powell at UF? Dude could have been an absolute stud, but injuries and work ethic kept him from being a dominant force).

Agree on Dupree, I've been high on him all year (Top 20 preseason). He's a freak athlete and still has untapped potential. Needs to do a much better job with his hands, but hopefully that's something NFL coaches can get out of him. He's just unbelievably fluid and explosive for a guy that's 6'3"-6'4" 265. Natural lower body flexibility and explosiveness. Think he can be a really good 3-4 OLB.

Hands are a must improve for Ray, but he does have exceptional speed and fluidity. He has good size, but again has never played off the line and had to cover anyone. If he can add 10 pounds, he can play DE in a 4-3 system. I love his athleticism, it is off the charts. The lower body flexibility is what stands out. He can move his hips very well, and uses his lower body to split defenders. I think he has the most upside outside of the top five.

Biggest concern with Ray for me is the stiffness in his hips. Ridiculous burst off the line though and he's a high effort guy. Supposedly runs in the 4.4's.

I have a few concerns about Ray. One is his stiffness, the other his attitude. He plays hard, but he also gets too many penalties and lets his emotions take over too much. He got ejected from the SEC title game because of a late hit to the head of Blake Sims, and he also pulled a very dirty move in the Arkansas game. He has a better chance of being a 3-4 OLB than Dupree IMO because he has more speed and not quite as big. Ray can be blocked against the run tho, and he also benefited from playing with another first round guy Markus Golden. He will have to show that he can succeed consistently against big, strong, OT's in the league. I would not draft him in the top five IMO.

Agree on Cooper. He'll be my #1 WR come draft time no matter what. Maybe the best route runner I've seen at the college level. Unbelievably fluid and explosive. Looks like he's gliding out there. But also has so much sharpness in and out of his breaks. Hands can be an issue but he's a very hard worker. Kind of guy that takes pride in his craft and getting better. Already handles himself like a pro. And he's about as competitive as any player in the country. Not the natural athlete Julio, Dez, Megatron, etc. are but he's so savvy I have no doubts he'll be a very good player for a long time. Kind of guy you want on your side.

And I do this more as a hobby than anything. Just something I enjoy doing.

Wow, we agree 100% on Cooper. People believe because he is not very demonstrative that he is not competitive, which could not be further from the truth. He wants to win as much as anyone, but he isnt a yeller or a screamer. He leads by example. He makes running a 4.3 40 look easy, which is not something most guys can do. But what stands out are his routes. He runs the most crisp routes of any CFB WR I have seen in years. People also underestimate his ball skills in the air. He has shown at the college level he can go up and outwork elite cover guys like Vernon Hargraves III, Cam Sutton, Jalen Collins (LSU), Senquez Goldson (OM), and DeShazoer Everett (TAMU). He DOMINATED VHIII in the Bama/UF game this year. White and Parker are great prospects, but Cooper is far and away the best prospect, the best since Julio/AJ IMO.

FINALLY! Someone I can talk CFB with that knows their stuff. I work in sports information, so its basically my life. I like other sports, the NFL, NBA, CBB, and European soccer, but my love is and has always been college football.

What are your thoughts on Landon Collins?

And do you want to do a mock draft?? I think I am going to put one together, and see what you think.

Oh shit, Sherdog having a Todd McShay to Alex's Mel Kiper?

Oh shit, Sherdog having a Todd McShay to Alex's Mel Kiper?

I'd put more faith on probably anyone that posted in this thread before I'd do the same with Kiper when it comes to the draft. Hack doesn't even describe what he is.

SingerAuto 2015 NFL Mock Draft:

1-Tampa Bay
QB Jameis Winston, FSU

2-Tennessee
DE Leonard Williams, USC

3-Jacksonville
DE/OLB Randy Gregory, Nebraska

4-Oakland
WR Amari Cooper, Alabama

5-Washington
OT Ronnie Stanley, Notre Dame

6-New York Jets
QB Marcus Mariotta, Oregon

7-Chicago Bears
DE Shane Ray, Missouri (but IMO Dupree would be better pick)

8-Atlanta Falcons
DE Alvin Dupree, Kentucky

9-New York Giants
OT Andrus Peat, Stanford

10-St. Louis
OT Brandon Schreff, Iowa

11-Minnesota
OT Erick Flowers, Miami

12-Cleveland
WR Kevin White, WVU

13-New Orleans
CB PJ Williams, FSU

14-Miami
DT Eddie Goldman, FSU (I could see Miami drafting a WR/OL if they resign Odrik)

15-San Francisco
WR DeVante Parker, Louisville (God I would LOVVEE this pick as a Niners fan. We need secondary help and a guard, but passing on Parker is stupid)

16-Houston
S Landon Collins, Alabama

17-San Diego
RB Todd Gurley, Georgia (if healthy. If not, its Gordon)

18-Kansas City
WR Jalen Strong, Arizona State

19-Cleveland
DT Danny Shelton, Washington

20-Philadelphia
CB Ike-pe Ero Alomu, Oregon

21-Cincinnatti
DE/OLB Dante Fowler, Florida

22-Pittsburgh
CB Trae Wayne, Michigan State

23-Detroit
RB Melvin Gordon, Wisconsin

24-Arizona
OLB Vic Beasley, Clemson

25-Carolina
OT La'el Collins, LSU

26-Baltimore
CB Ronald Darby, FSU

27-Dallas
DE/OLB Markus Golden, Missouri (simply, best DL-LB-DB available)

28-Denver
OT/C Cam Erving, FSU (prob. Baylor OT Ogbuhei)

29-Indianapolis
ILB Denzel Perryman, Miami

30-Green Bay
LB Benardrick McKinney, Miss. State

31-New England
DT Malcolm Brown, Texas

32-Seattle
LB Shaq Thompson, Washington
A utility gut that does a lot of things, Seattle would be ecstatic to land Thompson. They might go someone like Coates as an offensive weapon but their only real holes are interior DTs, OLBs, TE. and WR.

Picks 29-30 could be totally different, depends on who wins Super Bowl, but I have Seattle beating NE. I hope not, fuck Seattle, but thats my logical pick.

My draft will end up being trash, I would be surprised to get over 10% right, a lot changes between now and then. At this point last year, Star Loutouleli was a top 5 pick.

Ronnie Stanley is going back to Notre Dame I believe.

Vic Beasley is one of the tougher evaluations in this draft imo. I absolutely love him as a player and athlete, but how many 6'2"-6'3" sub 240 pound edge rushers do you see being successful in the NFL?

I think the best fit for him might be as an off the ball LB who rushes the passer on passing downs.

Ray has the straight line speed but I think Beasley is the most athletic of the edge guys.

Ifo tore his ACL in the Pac 12 Championship too. Probably more of a Round 3 guy now.

Actually I think it was in practice, not the Pac 12 title game.

Ifo tore his ACL in the Pac 12 Championship too. Probably more of a Round 3 guy now.

It was actually during practice. Some are saying he may drop even further than the 3rd.

Mariotta better not end up with the candy assed Jets

Armstead, Mariota declared & Buckner is staying.

Alabama DL Jarran Reed declaring.

EDIT: Reggie Ragland says Reed is staying.

I didnt realize Stanley decided to stay.

And I cant belive Olamu would drop from maybe the top CB in the draft that far down. If he can rehab and show teams he is on the right path, he may be a late 1st-2nd round guy.

Why wouldn't Reed declared when Collins, Yeldon and Cooper did? That seems odd to me, he is an important piece coming back to what could potentially be the best defense in the country, at least up front. Depends on how much Jackson improves at CB, if Brown catches and passes him, and how well the S spots get filled. I like Geno Smith, Jabriel Washington played some, but I am hoping Hootie Jones continues to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back