2014: All American Champs? ('cept GSP)

Domin8er

White Belt
Reaction score
Aside from perhaps GSP, I do not foresee there being any other champs but Americans. Let's take a look at the divisions as of now

Heavyweight: Cain Velasquez
Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones
Middleweight: Anderson Silva
Welterweight: Georges St-Pierre
Lightweight: Ben Henderson
Featherweight: Jose Aldo
Bantamweight: Renan Barao (ic)
Flyweight: Demetrius Johnson

The color codes are as followed:

Green: No danger of losing
Blue: Slight risk of losing
Orange: Very possible to lose
Red: Strong chance to lose

As you can see, the only people I feel are locks for their division are Jon Jones and George St-Pierre. Also, while Lightweight and Flyweight are Blue, you must realize that the only threats to the belt are Americans.

Jose Aldo and Anderson Silva, while outstanding fighters, are at a bigger risk than any other champ. Aldo is dealing with former LW champion and p4p ranked Frankie Edgar, who will be fighting at a weight class similar to his actual size. Anderson is dealing with the inevitable effects of old age, as well as his potentially biggest test to date in Chris Weidman.

Renan Barao, while considered the Interim Champion now, has two very big tests that I personally feel he cannot pass: Mayday and Cruz. The former can KO him and the latter will defeat him 50-45, 49-46 at worst IMO. He's a placeholder currently.

So basically, I see the next year looking like this:

Heavyweight: Cain Velasquez (I feel he beats Overeem via pressure)
Light Heavyweight: Jon Jones
Middleweight: Chris Weidman
Welterweight: Georges St-Pierre
Lightweight: Ben Henderson / Gray Maynard / Michael Chandler (all have potential to be number 1 now)
Featherweight: Frankie Edgar
Bantamweight: Dominick Cruz (king returns)
Flyweight: John Dodson (hopefully)

:)

You think Weidman will definitely beat Silva?

No, but with his old age, Anderson's throne is definitely in danger, even if he doesn't lose a fight. Retirement is coming soon for him.

No, but with his old age, Anderson's throne is definitely in danger, even if he doesn't lose a fight. Retirement is coming soon for him.

He just signed a 10 fight deal with the UFC so he isnt retiring anytime soon and I don't think that Anderson gets beat in 2014 it doesn't look like he's getting old to me when I watch him fight.

Really you categorize the longest reigning and most dominant champ as the most likely to lose?

That is a little questionable...

Fair enough - Silva will be approaching 40 by the end of 2014 and everyone goes down hill eventually.

I knew that silva's color would be hotly disputed. I tend to agree because I think that Weidman has a very good chance of beating silva.

Think this is pretty invalid. There's a lot of ifs and buts, and even then you say yourself in the thread title that it still wont be a clean sweep because of GSP. Just doesn't seem thread-worthy.

He just signed a 10 fight deal with the UFC so he isnt retiring anytime soon and I don't think that Anderson gets beat in 2014 it doesn't look like he's getting old to me when I watch him fight.

I don't think you understand why fight deals actually mean, papito.

Really you categorize the longest reigning and most dominant champ as the most likely to lose?

That is a little questionable...

Longest reigning should be an alarm right then and there. And Aldo is far from most dominant. Getting 10-8'd by Mark Hominick = / = most dominant

I knew that silva's color would be hotly disputed. I tend to agree because I think that Weidman has a very good chance of beating silva.

Agreed. It's ashame we won't see the fight this year. I think it has potential to be very competitive.

Think this is pretty invalid. There's a lot of ifs and buts, and even then you say yourself in the thread title that it still wont be a clean sweep because of GSP. Just doesn't seem thread-worthy.

This scenario is FAR more likely than the "All Brazilian champs" scenrio, which have guys like Erick Silva or Thiago Alves beating GSP or Machida and Glover beating Jones.

wiedman has no more chance than okami or cote

he just beat munoz and a lot of talk that's all

I don't think you understand why fight deals actually mean, papito.

Longest reigning should be an alarm right then and there. And Aldo is far from most dominant. Getting 10-8'd by Mark Hominick = / = most dominant

Agreed. It's ashame we won't see the fight this year. I think it has potential to be very competitive.

I don't think you understand what a 10-8 round really is, and you forgot to mention the 4 round ass rape he put on hominick.

wiedman has no more chance than okami or cote

he just beat munoz and a lot of talk that's all

Even you don't believe that.

I don't think you understand what a 10-8 round really is, and you forgot to mention the 4 round ass rape he put on hominick.

That round was the definition of 10-8. Hominick was in advantageous position the whole time and badly outlanded Aldo.

Aldo had to take Hominick down in the fourth because he was getting outstruck btw. Hardly an ass rape.

Outside of Weidman who is going to take Anderson's place? If Anderson beats Weidman, then what? I say the person with the best chance of losing it is most likely Cain or GSP as at HW all it takes is one shot and GSP has Diaz and potentially Ellenburger/Hendricks coming up.

I think weidman has the skills to dethrone Silva and the wrestling, size and Submission skills to do so.

Wiedman is a very talented fighter and an even better wrestler, I do think he has the skills to dethrone Silva at MW.

That round was the definition of 10-8. Hominick was in advantageous position the whole time and badly outlanded Aldo.

Aldo had to take Hominick down in the fourth because he was getting outstruck btw. Hardly an ass rape.

If you believe that, than round 1 of Maynard and Edgar must've been a 10-2 round, and Aldo took him down in every round and rocked hominick standing. Sitting in someone's guard the whole time is not an advantageous position.

He just signed a 10 fight contract, so I don't see retirement soon for him.

Also sure he is getting older but hasn't shown anything to make us think he is slowing down.

Anderson will not lose to Weidman....

Remember his face?

Back