2013 Travel thread

Radical

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is anyone planning a vacation or Holiday this coming new year?

I've been bouncing some ideas, but most require me leaving my minimum wage job indefinitely :icon_lol:.

Traveling Russia and some of the former Soviet Union with limited Russian is the most appealing because of the straight up exoticism. It's also one of the more expensive trips and I won't be able to afford it until the middle of Summer if not longer(Read: minimum wage job).

I've got ~$1,200 saved up, and planning on saving roughly $300 a month for a trip sometime in 2013.

Russia isn't as exotic as you may think. I spent some time climbing in the Caucasus, down by Chechnya, right on the border with Georgia. Some tense moments for sure. If it wasn't for the mountains there's no reason I would go there. Moscow is alright, but everything east is just depressing. Took the train from Moscow to Beijing, and there really wasn't much to see.

I've been to Europe 3 times and Asia twice in the last half dozen years. For 2013, I've got 10 weeks planned for April-June. I'll spend a week in the UK visiting some friends and family and doing some hiking, fly to Thailand and spend a week in Chiang Mai doing the tourist thing, then I'm going to Nepal for eight weeks. I'll probably spend 4 weeks working at a hospital in Kathmandu, another 2 or 3 weeks at a rural clinic, and then a week or two trekking before heading home. The whole trip should cost me about $5-6K, plus another $8-10K in lost wages while I'm gone.

I'm supposed to go with the GF to her parents house in Punta Gorda, FL.

Anyone familiar with there area and what there is to do down there?

Thinking about heading to New Zealand on a working holiday visa.

Headed to Chicago at the end of the month, so technically it will still be 2012.

In 2013, I plan to travel to the northwest US a bit as well as Northern Europe.

Gotta escape the South Texas heat. It's brutal.

Headed to Chicago at the end of the month, so technically it will still be 2012.

In 2013, I plan to travel to the northwest US a bit as well as Northern Europe.

Gotta escape the South Texas heat. It's brutal.

It's humid as fuck. I live in Vegas and thought going to TX is August wouldn't be bad, but holy shit, 95% humidity makes a world of difference.

Me and my girl are going to Japan this summer. Really excited, but neither of us speak Japanese. Anyone know if this would be a big problem, or do a lot of people speak English anyway?

P.S. We're going to Kyoto.

Going to China for 3 weeks in February and hopefully somewhere tropical at the end of 2013 to damn cold here.

It's humid as fuck. I live in Vegas and thought going to TX is August wouldn't be bad, but holy shit, 95% humidity makes a world of difference.

Me and my girl are going to Japan this summer. Really excited, but neither of us speak Japanese. Anyone know if this would be a big problem, or do a lot of people speak English anyway?

Everyone everywhere else speaks some English, and if they don't, the next person will. Calm your Western heart, you'll be fine.

Everyone everywhere else speaks some English, and if they don't, the next person will. Calm your Western heart, you'll be fine.

Haha, thanks Tomax. I just watch waaay too much Travel Channel: When Vacations Attack.

I really want to go to Thailand near the end of next year and go to a muay thai camp for a month. We'll see what my finances look like by then, got some things to pay off first.

Less people spoke English than I expected. Kyoto has more English speakers and tourists than Tokyo from my experience. Some food places have English menus
. Learn the japanese basics and you should be ok.

Less people spoke English than I expected. Kyoto has more English speakers and tourists than Tokyo from my experience. Some food places have English menus
. Learn the japanese basics and you should be ok.

Domo arigato, Mr. jqld. Any suggestions where to go/what to do in Kyoto?

Yeah, that's probably the worst part about living here. Everything else is great.
Very cheap to live here, plenty to do and see, beautiful women, and excellent food.

Russia isn't as exotic as you may think. I spent some time climbing in the Caucasus, down by Chechnya, right on the border with Georgia. Some tense moments for sure. If it wasn't for the mountains there's no reason I would go there. Moscow is alright, but everything east is just depressing. Took the train from Moscow to Beijing, and there really wasn't much to see.

I've been to Europe 3 times and Asia twice in the last half dozen years. For 2013, I've got 10 weeks planned for April-June. I'll spend a week in the UK visiting some friends and family and doing some hiking, fly to Thailand and spend a week in Chiang Mai doing the tourist thing, then I'm going to Nepal for eight weeks. I'll probably spend 4 weeks working at a hospital in Kathmandu, another 2 or 3 weeks at a rural clinic, and then a week or two trekking before heading home. The whole trip should cost me about $5-6K, plus another $8-10K in lost wages while I'm gone.

Nice! Why are you staying so long in Nepal?

Probably Iceland, then London or Paris after. Maybe another short trip in the fall.

Nice! Why are you staying so long in Nepal?

I'm going to be volunteering in a hospital for about 4 weeks, and a rural clinic for another 2 or 3, and then taking a week or so for myself for some trekking and maybe a quick trip to Bhutan.

Nepal's healthcare system is short on resources and manpower, and it'll be a great learning experience for me, so a win-win.

I am headed to Texas and then New Orleans on Christmas day. For some short work then just to hang out. Never been to New Orleans. As for next year, I am spending St. Patrick's Day in Dublin. Then I will probably pick a random state to travel to. I am to hit a few states per year just to say I have been to all of them.

was originally planning a trip to Iceland to go on one of those relatively cheap excursion tours where they just ferry you around and show you all the cool shit. but then I found out I was being kicked out of my house around March, so now I have to downgrade and am now looking at going to Vegas for a weekend with the misses and her sister/sisters boyfriend.

Sometime in March my friends and I will be going to either Mexico or Vegas for our friend's bachelor party. Liquor and whores!

Back