2013 ibjjf rule changes

Well I think it does seem like a smart add on

So they want you to certify with the federation for brown/black belt and have minimum time lenghts at each belt level. But now it you have wrestled in college or have fought pro mma you are an instant blue.

I like what they have done with the rest of the changes but they need to back off the way that they are trying to control promotion/progression of belts. Let instructors know it is encouraged to have those with prior experience compete at blue right away but leave it to them to use their best judgement.

One one side they say you have to stay at each belt for X amount of time then they come back and say you are instantly promoted if you have x prior experience.

Really not that big a deal but for whatever reason it just doesn't sit right with me.

The wrestling rule is a good idea, but could use some polish.

In Canada, for example (at least when i was a teenager,) you could just walk on in and enter the Nationals for junior, cadet, etc.

I entered one year just because it was in my hometown. I was probably not a National-level" competitor.

Does this mean that anyone who enters must compete at blue belt?

Maybe something more cut and dried, like anyone who wrestled beyond the age of 16. Or who wrestled for more than X years. That way you are not using US requirements (saying "NCAA" or "collegiate level,") but you are not penalizing people from smaller countries who are trying to get grappling experience but are not necessarily elite competitors.

And I say this as someone who never competed at beginner or white belt because of wrestling experience.

So they want you to certify with the federation for brown/black belt and have minimum time lenghts at each belt level. But now it you have wrestled in college or have fought pro mma you are an instant blue.

I like what they have done with the rest of the changes but they need to back off the way that they are trying to control promotion/progression of belts. Let instructors know it is encouraged to have those with prior experience compete at blue right away but leave it to them to use their best judgement.

One one side they say you have to stay at each belt for X amount of time then they come back and say you are instantly promoted if you have x prior experience.

Really not that big a deal but for whatever reason it just doesn't sit right with me.
This. Does this mean these Pro MMA Fighters/Wrestlers are all automatically blue belts now? Or do they just put on the blue belt for comps and wear white during training?
They'd all need to buy blue belts to wear for competition though, haha.

Oli, so underhooking the leg in dlr position is legal? I saw couple od DQs from it in 2012

It seems (I could be wrong) that reaping is an auto-DQ during a sub, but if it's a positional reap you get penalized and reset.

How nice of them! :)

Torquing the knee isn't bad when you intentionally use it to injure your opponent if he doesn't give up the sweep. The rule should only be used to punish footlockers. The real bad guys!

Some other refs I know have disagreed on my interpretation re:reaping resets there, so take it with a grain of salt. Just how I read it, but it's not that clear, so I could be wrong.

Some other refs I know have disagreed on my interpretation re:reaping resets there, so take it with a grain of salt. Just how I read it, but it's not that clear, so I could be wrong.

This is where I would normally start bitching on rule clarity but I think I'll just now out of the thread completely.

Positivity is my new years resolution.

One thing I'm going to address quickly. Haven't read the rest of the thread.

BEING A JUDO BB, PRO MMA FIGHTER, OR COLLEGIATE WRESTLER DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN AUTOMATIC BLUE BELT.

The IBJJF made it clear when discussing this rule regarding the Judo BBs, they have no authority to force promotion on someone. They will all begin and white belt and be promoted as the instructor seems fit. However, they simply cannot compete in IBJJF divisions until they have achieved a blue belt. White belts are novices to the grappling arts.

One thing I'm going to address quickly. Haven't read the rest of the thread.

BEING A JUDO BB, PRO MMA FIGHTER, OR COLLEGIATE WRESTLER DOES NOT MAKE YOU AN AUTOMATIC BLUE BELT.

The IBJJF made it clear when discussing this rule regarding the Judo BBs, they have no authority to force promotion on someone. They will all begin and white belt and be promoted as the instructor seems fit. However, they simply cannot compete in IBJJF divisions until they have achieved a blue belt. White belts are novices to the grappling arts.
Well that's even worse
They aren't allowed to compete at all then till blue belt

I guess they want to avoid mis-matches between a wrestler who has had wrestling over 10 years, essentially a wrestling black belt go up against bjj guys who have only done it a year or two. Sounds reasonable.

Just compete outside of ibjjf tournaments until you are blue belts, where experience can even the playing fields a bit.

But isn't there a time limit before people are allowed to get their blue belt?

still an amazing feat.

anyone can get tapped out in an mma match... look at all those rnc done by white belts on brown belts.... >_>
besides you act like chris leben don't train with bb to begin with..

anyone can get tapped out in an mma match... look at all those rnc done by white belts on brown belts.... >_>
besides you act like chris leben don't train with bb to begin with..

he was a white belt who tapped out a judo black belt.
when has that ever happened.

No Pro MMA fighters competing at whitebelt?

IT SHALL HENCEFORTH BE KNOWN AS THE EDDIE WINELAND RULE.

On a sidenote, in D1 wrestling...when a leg is severely reaped, the ref will call "potentially dangerous" and immediately reset the fighters in a neutral position. It's clean, simple, and should be implemented across all tournaments if they're seriously concerned about a jiu-jitsuka's safety. Collegiate wrestling has already ironed out a lot of these inherent problems and should really be incorporated!

he was a white belt who tapped out a judo black belt.
when has that ever happened.

Chris Leben trains with top level guys... His total mat time is more than a white belt, maybe he didn't give a f. about getting ranked? Look at Jones, he's not even ranked in BJJ so what do you gotta say about that? -_- "amazing, he tapped all bb, and he's not even a white belt!"

Back