2013 Grappling Goals,

Enter 2 tournaments this year at purple belt.
Win at least 1 tournament this year at purple belt.
Add the arm triangle/ezekiel combo to my arsenal
Combine my 3 favorite guard passes so that they are performed in combinations
Add more Judo to my arsenal
Combine some new Judo with my favorite wrestling take downs.

So far I've done alright with my goals. Except at NAGA I didn't do nogi and I can't get off to do world's lol. But I am doing NAGA in September and am planning on nogi world's, so all my goals will come to fruition last second.

I've done well on the not missing training, I've been hitting or exceeding my 10+ hours every week

Where is NAGA going to be in September? I haven't seen an event schedule past August.

I know we should all have goals. I've lived for many years pursuing goals. Sometimes I think I want to have fewer goals. In essence, I don't want my goals to limit my creativity, passions, or freedom.

Many bjj er's have a goal of reaching black belt. But when you arrive at that goal it might feel empty or unfulfilling. What was all the fuss about???

If your goal was to see three museums in Berlin while on a vacation, but during one museum you met someone who was an expert in one area of art history and you wound up spending the day with that person and you didn't reach your goal of three museums, would you be disappointed?

I want to have fewer expectations. I want to live in the moment more and not think about the future so much. I don't want to arrive anywhere. I want to keep going.

I don't want to worry about winning or losing so much. I want to have an open mind during every roll. I've been listening to Alan Watts lately and reading some Zen.

Here is a little taste of it...

http://zenhabits.net/no-goal/

I am on track to meeting my goals by not making any. I got to compete against Kurt Osiander which was cool. He beat me by two advantages. I've been real chill since Pan just training a few days per week. I've been working my open guard a lot. I'm swimming and doing some yoga. Body feels great. I'm happy...

Here is my partially obscured not so exciting Pan Championship match against Kurt. You can skip to 5:29 if you want to see me fling my hair back like a boss.

Last edited:
have fun
stay healthy

These are not goals, they are wishes or dreams. Goals in sport have 2 requirements: Specificity and objectives. Not having any goals in the sport is just fine, but wishes and goals are not the same thing.

Wish: Love my friends more
Goal: Spend more time with my friends this year than last year.

These are not goals, they are wishes or dreams. Goals in sport have 2 requirements: Specificity and objectives. Not having any goals in the sport is just fine, but wishes and goals are not the same thing.

Wish: Love my friends more
Goal: Spend more time with my friends this year than last year.

Ok. My jiu jitsu wishes are coming true. :icon_surp

2013 Grappling Goals:

***Successfully complete Judo Promotionals in the Fall.
***Improve my Positional Pressure in all Dominant positions
***Develop 4 really effective setups for my go-to submissions
***Improve my Submission Defense
***Strengthen my Open Guard
***Focus on improvement by grappling with the best guys in my region and not be limited to my primary gym.
***Improve the Quality of my rolling by focusing on specific positions and areas of improvements instead of win-lose mentality

I work really hard on my game so I'm excited to see my progress by the end of the 2013!!

Get as aesthetic as possible, and compete without shirt.

Spladle somebody.

I have always wanted to hit this, but it's hard getting people to try the single leg in BJJ. I'm setting the bar low, but not *too* low.

For the rest of 2013:

*Rehab knee
*Attend 3+ Bjj classes every week
*Compete in the Champion Grappler Sub Only in November
*Win at least one of my 3 possible divisions in the Champion Grappler

*Develop one SOLID pass for each basic guard.
*Develop one solid sweep and one solid sub for each guard. Preferably in combo.
*One really good, go to takedown, better defense for single and doubles.

Further update from last week.

Today I managed to get gold in gi and no-gi at a comp.

6 days, 2 comps, 4 medals, 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

Insane for me personally.

Develop a comprehensive Kimura control game. Be able to use it reasonably well against people on or above my general skill level

Work on transitions and subs between rat guard, Lister guard and rubber guard. Be able to threaten well from all three positions.

Medal at the regional championship.

Last edited:
Compete in A tournament. Keep injury free once I recover from my current knee injury. Keep enjoying the sport and enjoy training with my son.

Further update from last week.

Today I managed to get gold in gi and no-gi at a comp.

6 days, 2 comps, 4 medals, 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

Insane for me personally.

Congrats man, great to hear!

Back