2013 Grappling Goals,

it's hard to set a clean goal, but given how everything has improved over the last months and how I really learned how to train like a "pro", my goal is to medal in every competition to enter, and always do the absolute.

medaling at the worlds is my main goal for the next 6 months

Train at least three times a week, every week
Get my hook sweep working on bigger guys
Compete at featherweight; I'm not a lightweight, I'm undisciplined with my diet.

I want to start finally
And train at least twice per week

win pans, win worlds, win American cup & US open, get my purple and get my bench to 315

I know we should all have goals. I've lived for many years pursuing goals. Sometimes I think I want to have fewer goals. In essence, I don't want my goals to limit my creativity, passions, or freedom.

Many bjj er's have a goal of reaching black belt. But when you arrive at that goal it might feel empty or unfulfilling. What was all the fuss about???

If your goal was to see three museums in Berlin while on a vacation, but during one museum you met someone who was an expert in one area of art history and you wound up spending the day with that person and you didn't reach your goal of three museums, would you be disappointed?

I want to have fewer expectations. I want to live in the moment more and not think about the future so much. I don't want to arrive anywhere. I want to keep going.

I don't want to worry about winning or losing so much. I want to have an open mind during every roll. I've been listening to Alan Watts lately and reading some Zen.

Here is a little taste of it...

http://zenhabits.net/no-goal/

bjj blue belt
judo black belt
Nationals medal in judo
train bjj more regularly and win major tournament (ibjjf open,pans or similar) at blue

my goals for lqst year.
judo brown-done
make national team for judo-done
bjj blue-nope

Last edited:
I'd like to get better at passing de la Riva and spider guard.

I'd also like to get my yellow belt in judo :)

lean something new / change something I do every time I'm on the mat and don't forget it

Judo-

Get back into shape
Lose weight
Go back to fighting 178lbs Seniors division (i'm 31 now)
Earn my Nikyu

Consistently go 3 days a week instead of 2 to the gym
Try sambo and see what i can add to my game
Do more judo
Learn
Help my coach expand our team
Dont forget to have fun
Stop being scared of competions (got injured at last one and needed surgery)

My goal is to win a match at blue. I've got around 25 tournaments in the nearby (driveing) area to do it at this year, and a bunch of them are round robins. If I end up going 0-30 or whatever, I'll just give up on bjj and start doing aikido instead.

Winning a match is your goal? Placing 1st in a blue belt bracket would be a better goal imo. Not telling you what to do, but winning a match is a very low goal. I don't even feel happy about winning a match unless its deep in the tournament. The first few matches are just kind of something i feel i have to do. Kind of like getting an A on a test with asian parents. It's not something to celebrate about, you are just doing what you're supposed to do.

Couple tournaments and blue belt.

Just thought I would make a thread where all us grappling geeks could share our goals for the upcoming year.

I've got three:
*Win a match at Worlds
*Win a NAGA Advanced division
*Not miss more than two weeks total of training

Pretty doable but hard enough to push myself.

Do any of you remember your 2012 goals? Did you achieve them? I got two out of three last year, I got my purple belt and competed in 8 tournaments (goal was six). I was on my way to making it to the not miss more than two weeks total of training, then I ended up missing three and a half weeks in december alone.

Uh Oh, I might be competing in NAGA Vegas and I think we are the same weight

Uh Oh, I might be competing in NAGA Vegas and I think we are the same weight

Shit, hopefully we meet in the finals. You'll look good with a silver. lol. If you are here past the tournament hit me up, we have tons of guys your size at CK.

Are you going to do the USA Grappling Team Trials in Vegas? I am pretty excited about that.

Shit, hopefully we meet in the finals. You'll look good with a silver. lol. If you are here past the tournament hit me up, we have tons of guys your size at CK.

Are you going to do the USA Grappling Team Trials in Vegas? I am pretty excited about that.

My coach has been on team usa for years. Took 3rd in 08, 10, and won worlds in 09.

Back