2012 Fighter of the Year

Matt Brown has had a really good year

I would definitely give it to Gus over Bendo. Bendo arguably was gifted 2 of those fights, and Gus clearly dominated his 3 opponents,

Fighter of the year: Ben Henderson
Fight of the year: Jamie Varner vs. Joe Lauzon
KO of the year: Edson Barboza (vs. Terry Etim)
Submission of the year: Chan Sung Jung (vs. Dustin Poirier)

agree with all besides the sub of the year

Matt Brown has had a really good year

Matt Brown (Cope, Thompson, Ramos, Swick)

That is a good year, not sure if he'll be contending for the title though. The WW division is stacked but we will find out where he stands in 2013.

Should I add him to OP anyway?

Juan Manuel Marquez

rubbing it in too soon, not mma but I'd have to agree

No mention of Mighty Mouse? Wins over McCall and Benevidez to become the first ever flyweight title holder. Pretty successful year I think. Flyweights don't get shown enough love, they are good fighters.

I could see that.

If Boetsch wins on saturday he would have 3 wins. (Okami, Lombard & Philippou)

Either JDS or Cain will end the year with 2 solid wins. (Mir for JDS and Bigfoot for Cain)

Rhonda Rhousey had 2 solid wins this year. (Tate & Kaufman)

Are any of these better than Gus and Bendo this year?

That is a good year, not sure if he'll be contending for the title though. The WW division is stacked but we will find out where he stands in 2013.

Maybe comeback fighter. Him or struve.

If there has to be a fighter of the year it might as well be Jon Jones.. I just don't think anyone else deserves it.

I have to go with Silva. Not because of who he beat, but because of the matrix like style he takes on when crushing guys that have not been finished.

These last few years of Silva are amazing to behold.

Bendo, for having won the gold, no scratch on his face after the fights, and being smooth with a toothpick in his mouth.

imo, fighter of the year can be awarded to any athlete that participates in any combat sports..

and Marquez KO'ing Manny Pacquiao, was undoubtedly the most shocking and most publicized event in all combat sports, in 2012.

I think that alone deserves fighter of the year.

Struve and Brown had great years.

Struve had 3 finishes in 3 wins. (Herman, Johnson & Miocic)

Brown had 3 ko in 4 wins. (Cope, Thompson, Ramos & Swick)

Solid stuff.

Should I add him to OP anyway?

Matt is definitely a couple big wins away from even being considered a contender, but I think his career has made great strides this year. He was an up and down fighter who seems to have really found his stride.

Ronda is fighter of the year, she single-handedly brought in a whole division to the biggest company in MMA

Rhonda Rhousey had 2 solid wins this year. (Tate & Kaufman)

You guys are right, Rousey for both fighter of the year and breakthrough.

If Boetsch wins on saturday he would have 3 wins. (Okami, Lombard & Philippou)

Either JDS or Cain will end the year with 2 solid wins. (Mir for JDS and Bigfoot for Cain)

Yeah those fights will bring about new fighter of the year threads, and Id have to say JDS all day, everyday, no problem

Mike Pyle.

Before this year he had 30 fights with only one win by (t)ko, back in 2006.

In 2012 at 37 years old, he has 3 wins in a row by (t)ko. (Funch, Neer, Head)

Back