2010 US Nationals Derek Picinich vs 3x World Champion Sergio Moraes

dmarc0462

White Belt
Reaction score
Here's a video of Derek Picinich (Karel Pravec Black Belt) vs Sergio Moraes (Multiple time World Champion)
YouTube - Derek Picinich vs. Sergio Moraes at $1000 Grapplers Quest Absolute Advanced 2010 US Nationals

I was infitinitely impressed with Derek's performance against a 3x World Champion.. he went on to take home Silver that day, dominating in the semi finals and losing a very close finals..what do you guys think?

Derek trains at Silverfox BJJ in Lodi, NJ along with 2009 ADCC Silver Medalist Jerry Rinaldi (lost to xande in finals by 2 points)

i think Sergio is a 1 time black belt world champion.

Nice vid.

sergio's style seems really awkward without the gi... great win for derek though!

i think Sergio is a 1 time black belt world champion.

Nice vid.

yeaa i believe he won it once as a brown belt and the other time he split it with marcelo.. sorry for the mix up.. either way it was a great back and forth match it was very cool to see in person :icon_chee

He won the World's once out right when he beat Bill Cooper, & you can count the one Vs Marcelo as another. Sergio looked sluggish compared to when he fights with the gi, but Picinich performed really well, in his face, & his guard retention was really good.

He looked real good. And as everyone has said, Sergio looked a little uneasy.

I saw this video a few days ago, and yes I was very impressed with Derrick's performance. Who did he lose to in the final?

Its good to know "J Sho" is protecting the integrity of the Mundials :icon_lol:

You may jest, but is all too common for people to try to claim a world championship title when it was:

-won at a lower belt
-won at masters or seniors
-won at the copa do mundo
-won at the cbjje mundials
-a closed out bracket with 1 or more teammates and they had taken silver or bronze
-a combination of all of these.

Sergio could claim silver at the rock/paper/scissors world championships tho.

I don't get why Sergio doesn't get 2 points for once he gets out of the heelhook, he obviously went from bottom to top?

Back