2005 Judo World Championships thread

Groove Holmes

Purple Belt
Reaction score
8th to 11th of September 2005 Location : Cairo, Egypt.

Any picks?

First day
Thursday 8th. September:

Women's - 78kg.
Women's + 78kg.

Men's -100kg.
Men's +100 kg.

I'm glad to see local Ryan Resser made the US team and hope he wins. Other than that, I dunno, hehe.

I need to start following international judo again. I haven't paid much attention since the Olympics. Anyone know how Kosei Inoue has been doing post-meltdown? I suppose i'll be brave and pick Suzuki for +100.

i have egyptian satelite, i think i will be able to watch it

In this order most medals will go to:
1) Japan
2) France
3) Korea
4) Former Soviet Union and Russia
5) Cuba

Maybe. Will be interesting to see. Will someone please posts results here? I don't think that would count as a spolier would it?

Are france really that good?

I would have thought that russia would be above them

Sauron said:
Are france really that good?

I would have thought that russia would be above them

The french are amazing when it comes to Judo. Jean-Luc Rouge is the director of the French Judo Federation and I believe he is the head trainer of the Olympic Judo Team. Rouge is the Judo guy who kind of looks like Weird Al Yankavich and won the 1975 World Championship. So with his leadership the French have really been strong in Judo. There is solid program in place to support Judo in France (unlike the U.S., where it's every man for himself).

Their style is relatively predictable.

First, the over the shoulder grab is central to everything they do. Bouras dominated his weight class in the Olympics (including Koga), just by having an aggresive over the shoulder grab.

Also, they are extremely tactical and savy when it comes to the rules of judo.

And, there's a huge base of amazing judo players to train the newcomers: Jean-Luc Rouge himself, Brigitte Deydier (Olympic Silver, World Gold), Cecile Nowak (Olympic and World Gold), Marie-Claire Restoux (Olympic and World Gold), Daivd Douillet (2 Olympic Golds, 4 World Golds, best record in history of Judo), and a slew of others.

The Russians actually have recorded less International Judo wins than the French, believe it or not. Part of that may have been the many boycotts in the 1980's. Plus the "break up" of the USSR. Many former "Russians" moved to other countries (like Turkey), and now compete for other teams. All this skews the stats a bit. There is no doubt that the Russians and the Former Soviet Union countries, as a whole, are extremely powerful.

Bubble Boy said:
The french are amazing when it comes to Judo. Jean-Luc Rouge is the director of the French Judo Federation and I believe he is the head trainer of the Olympic Judo Team. Rouge is the Judo guy who kind of looks like Weird Al Yankavich and won the 1975 World Championship. So with his leadership the French have really been strong in Judo. There is solid program in place to support Judo in France (unlike the U.S., where it's every man for himself).

Their style is relatively predictable.

First, the over the shoulder grab is central to everything they do. Bouras dominated his weight class in the Olympics (including Koga), just by having an aggresive over the shoulder grab.

Also, they are extremely tactical and savy when it comes to the rules of judo.

And, there's a huge base of amazing judo players to train the newcomers: Jean-Luc Rouge himself, Brigitte Deydier (Olympic Silver, World Gold), Cecile Nowak (Olympic and World Gold), Marie-Claire Restoux (Olympic and World Gold), Daivd Douillet (2 Olympic Golds, 4 World Golds, best record in history of Judo), and a slew of others.

The Russians actually have recorded less International Judo wins than the French, believe it or not. Part of that may have been the many boycotts in the 1980's. Plus the "break up" of the USSR. Many former "Russians" moved to other countries (like Turkey), and now compete for other teams. All this skews the stats a bit. There is no doubt that the Russians and the Former Soviet Union countries, as a whole, are extremely powerful.

I thought Bouras had his medal taken away for doping.

Q mystic said:
I thought Bouras had his medal taken away for doping.

Oh, did I forget to mention that he was busted for doping? Really too bad, because he tactically dominated everyone in his division. His over the back grab made many of his opponents look like they were stalling, and thus they were penalized. Did he lose his medal though? Didn't know that.

Any results yet?

Bubble Boy said:
Oh, did I forget to mention that he was busted for doping? Really too bad, because he tactically dominated everyone in his division. His over the back grab made many of his opponents look like they were stalling, and thus they were penalized. Did he lose his medal though? Didn't know that.

Any results yet?

Not sure if he actually lost it, just remember reading that he was positive and they were looking at it. The same olympics where the japanese,among others, filed complaints that the euro judoka were wearing gis that were too thick in the lapel.

Hmmm. I'd go with the Japanese on this (gi to thick). Afterall, they invented the damn sport.
Last I knew Bouras kept his medal because the positive results happended after the Olympic games, but the tests implied that he was doping during the games. Not enough to really nail him up, but everybody knew he wasn't on the up and up.

Hey Groove Holmes, I'm not trying to hijack your thread dude. I just keep checking back for results and then can't help posting something.

The draws have also been announced:
www.ijf.org

Good chance for Bryant (Britain +78kg) to reach a medal position. She keeps out of the top half of the draw which features Japan, Cuba, China and Korea.

Van Der Geest meets Muneta in the opening round of the mens +100.

Results:

Womens -78kg.
G- Laborde - Cuba
S- Nakazawa - Japan
B - Lebrun - France
B - Zwiers - Holland

Laborde's osoto-gari in the final was pure strength and with only one arm.

Women's +78kg.
G - Tong- China
S - Bryant - Great Britain
B - Mondiere - France
B - Tsukada - Japan

Men's -100kg
G - Suzuki - Japan
S - Bubon - Ukraine
B - Correa - Brazil
B - Kabanov - Russia

Men's +100kg
G - Mikhalin - Russia
S - Muneta - Japan
B - Gujejiani - Georgia
B - Robin - France

Groove Holmes, you are da MAN! Thanks.

Well, Bryant (women's +78k GB) just can't seem to ever rise to the Gold. I enjoy her style, too bad.

And I guess Mikhalin was no suprise, but I've always cheered for Tataroglu (big boy division, Turkey). I think his days may be numbered. I just love that guy.

Suzuki is apparently the new Japanese Judo dude. Cool.

Thanks again Groove...

Looks like the Koreans forgot to show up, or were they not invited? They're usually so strong.

Back