1. Server maintenance is scheduled for today between 11AM and 2PM ET. The site will go down for 15-20 mins. We'll try to get it done before noon.

20 years ago

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shincheckin, Jul 31, 2020.

1. shincheckin Black Belt

was reminicsing on how hard my search for MT was back in the day. Many places would say they teach MT, similar to how little kiddy tkd gyms say they teach MMA now a days perhaps..........anyways, 20 years ago, I can recal walking into a gym and them telling me they teach MT, so I go to check out the class......the class is 2 guys, wearing ice hockey shin pads, and they did some horrible sparring, while the coach was playing these drums, I had not been exposed to this part of martial arts yet (i know about it now), and I was just thinking to myself, wtf is going on here, this aint MT, and both those guys suck, I could beat them right now with my boxing training only........anywas, just a cool story bro to share in regards to how much things have changed from my generation to the next. The next generation of nakmuays in the US, are going to be the first generation of top level fighters in the US. Well finally hit the skill level.

2. tekkenfan Black Belt

your right about the muay thai thing i didnt find real muay thai till i was coaching in europe and realized yeah kick boxing was what was taught in the us the term muay thai is generally another word for kick boxing here

muay thais muchhhhh bigger in europe ireland than in the us people travel 3 states over just to get amateur kickboxing/ thai fights here

shincheckin likes this.
  3. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

MT still has ways to go in the US, MMA gyms outnumber MT almost 8:1, so the skillset is different. It is better than 20 years ago for sure, no doubt.

Like Tekken said, by business reach to attract people over kickboxing was branded as "Muay Thai", got on board with the shorts and everything, but it was really kickboxing deep down. Got so bad where if anyone threw a leg kick that constituted as "Muay Thai". Doesn't help that this type of approach is promoted by Rogan and the UFC. Double edged sword I guess, on one hand UFC and Rogan have promoted MT for popularity, on the other hand, misinformation is spread and diluted the local communities.

Freakzeek, Dexter and shincheckin like this.
  4. shincheckin Black Belt

Right, like the UFC announcer guy who said black belt in MT right?

You would think a job like that pays well and is difficult to get, and that the announcers should know what they are talking about. You see a lot of wrong stuff or misiniformation being said on all kinds of shows.

j123 likes this.
  5. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Helps brings sales and promotion for UFC, so the bottom line is met.

It's not like ignorant fans are complaining

shincheckin likes this.
  6. Cole train Silver Belt

Usa is doing solid on ammy world championships nowadays so the sport is on way up in us

Will probably be a force in future like all big countries

shincheckin likes this.
  7. Woldog твоя мама гей

China and India have bigger populations than everywhere in the world and they can't find athletes that are any good unless it's Soccer, Baseball or ping pong tho. You do get the odd anomaly like Jeremy Lin and Yao Ming though. When it comes to combat sports they're pretty shit. Only Indian/Pakistani boxers I can think of Amir Khan and Prince Naseem and they're both born in the UK.

Freakzeek, shincheckin and Dexter like this.
  8. Cole train Silver Belt

China actually does ok in mt/kickboxing as well

Honestly though resources and financial situation matter

Like in india people cant train because they are too busy surviving

At the same in eastern europe amateurs are supported by goverment to train full time.

Like this guy, ammy mt world champ supported by goverment to train full time

(Think hes a pro nowadays though)

shincheckin and RabbitPunch36 like this.
  9. Dexter Orange Belt

Don’t like your MT purism, fellas :). IMHO, the only way we can beat Thais in their game is to develop our own, cross-based on what we’re good at - boxing, KB, etc. stuff. If we continue to worship ‘monkey see - monkey do’ style and emulate them in all aspects, Thais will always have an edge with their superior experience due to large amount of fights and 6*2 training regime. P.S. Ammy MT is a dead end, with all that power armour on :p.

shincheckin and lakamas like this.
  10. Woldog твоя мама гей

While somewhat agree, I disagree on India, the poverty rate dropped to about 22% in 2010. Not bad for a country with 1.3 billion people. An example of why that isn't bad is Australia has about 28 million people and we have a poverty rate of 13.6%. India isn't poor like it was in the 1960's and 70's anymore. And poverty is mostly people who live outside of the cities (who probably aren't going to be jumping on the Muay Thai train anyway.) I'm sure @Azam could shed some light on the matter.

shincheckin and Dexter like this.
  11. Cole train Silver Belt

Well excuse me for not being india expert

I base my knowledge on stereotypes and pure instict

Paradigm likes this.
  12. Cole train Silver Belt

Thais are being beaten fairly regularly

Not long ago 2 belts of lumpinee were held by foreigners

(Now held by one though)

Freakzeek likes this.
  13. Dexter Orange Belt

In what weight class? IIRC, Thais have some ‘premium’ weights for fatty farangs, so said farangs won’t go all-crybabies and could pose with big shiny belts, too.

14. Cole train Silver Belt

Welterweight; a french guy holding it

Not sure if thats a fatty division since its like 65 kilos lol

Dexter likes this.
  15. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Boxing is fine, but in the early stages it won't shine, rarely does in the open ruleset. When they start getting more fights down and developing "their style", which I usually see it to be around 10+ fights, then the investment will start to really kick off. Early on when there's too more optimal tools on the table, coupled with coaching confusion, it really throws the fighters off.

Seen it numerous times. Fighters would be covering 10 step patterns with more head movement when they have no cognitive thinking with panic breathing. No addressing on clinching or leg kicks, thinking body rips work in the clinch or are better than elbows; When the shocker hits the fan, the poor guy/gal end up as a deer in headlights. Doesn't help that their MT coach told them some core basics how to defend in clinch, and while they're stalling it, boxing coach decides to yell "GO TO THE BODY", and he fucks himself putting himself in double collar rape zone. Seen TKOs from that scenario in person numerous times. 2 coaches in a fight where they contradict each other is a bad call.

But once the novice stage is done and they get the exp in to have more composure, breathing, etc. it will work, will work pretty well if the other party doesn't know shit about what boxing comes with. Just at that early point in their "career" they're thinking too much, the absolute essentials are to be done. Boxing at that point is really just fluff and icing. MT in the ammys is where if you have an amazing clinch and piss poor kickboxing, you'll still dominate. I will say though, boxing has a bigger carry over to MMA than MT does in general. The region of the fights also determine alot, it doesn't seem that way but it is. A place like bumfuck nowhere where there's only wrestling and YouTube MT, your MT fighters are gonna be manlet MMA strikers with sloppy brawling, whereas an area with a larger MT scene it will have more very lanky, tall cleaner MT. It all depends.

Utilizing sports science, nutrition, prioritization are the options that should be looked at. That's where I agree with the whole "THE THAIS DO IT" is wrong and different for people outside of Thailand or a 3rd world country.

16. aerius Red Belt

That's a fatty division. Welterweight & above are all fatty divisions.

DoctorTaco, Dexter and Cole train like this.
  17. rmongler Black Belt

TBH anyone above 5'6'' is ducking heavyweight.

#freejoeson

DoctorTaco likes this.
  18. Azam Brown Belt

The poverty rate isn't what it was - there are still many that live underneath the poverty line but it's improved significantly from the 60' and 70's.

The main reason you don't see a lot of Indians in combat sports is because culturally it's looked down on and second the financial reward is non-existent.

The talent might be there in both countries to produce more sports combat athletes but the money isn't as far as India goes - can't speak on China.

Both China and India are very money orientated cultures. The expectation is that you find a good job (doctor, engineer, IT etc) and marry. Sports are looked at as a risk as far as career prospects go and are discouraged.

More so in India than China - it's not difficult to understand why in a country that was extremely poor not to long ago.

Also in India unlike in China - there is virtually no support for athletes that might want to compete in combat sports and the infrastructure needed to make champions isn't there. You're basically on your own.

Freakzeek, Dexter, Woldog and 2 others like this.
  19. RabbitPunch36 Blue Belt

Nassem was Yemeni British

Dexter and Azam like this.
  20. Woldog твоя мама гей

Looks like India just lost another boxer lmao

j123, Dexter and Azam like this.