20 Rep Squats

OK lets come down to earth for a sec.

20 squats with bodyweight on the bar "isnt a bad start" ??
What planet am I living on then, I wonder? Cos Im sure that over 99% of earth population can not do 20 bodyweight (on the bar) squats. Firstly cos their cardio wont hold and secondly cos of lack of strenght required

Im not saying that YOU cannot do it, there are strong people of course, but you put it like everybody can confortably start from this point (you dont want some teenager go for it and gets heart attack, right?). But if you started from that point what can you do today ? - 20 reps with double bodyweight ? Sure! Strongest people on the earth are on shedog.com (like I didnt know)

I couldn't agree more with you. Asking someone who isn't used to squatting or hasn't squatted for a while to perform 20 squat reps @ bodyweight (on the bar) is silly. I don't think I can 20 reppers at bodyweight (on the bar) at the moment and I've worked hard this year in the gym. I'm sure a lot of guys on Sherdog can handle that but I bet a lot of people on here can't.

I couldn't agree more with you. Asking someone who isn't used to squatting or hasn't squatted for a while to perform 20 squat reps @ bodyweight (on the bar) is silly. I don't think I can 20 reppers at bodyweight (on the bar) at the moment and I've worked hard this year in the gym. I'm sure a lot of guys on Sherdog can handle that but I bet a lot of people on here can't.

Must have got something mix'd up here, the guy said he'll start with his body weight and add 5lbs every time, I got the impression that the body weight as he implied 170 was actually on the bar and I said that it wasn't a bad start, and by that I mean it is an outstanding start if he actually can do that. I wasnt advicing anybody to start the program with their bodyweight on the bar. It might be a good goal thou. And for the record I cannot do it either, and never have implied that I could. But I know what is strong, hence I told the guy that it aint a bad start at all cos he was presenting him self as a beginner and that is one strong beginner if he actually can do that. Im I making any sense?

When I start my 20 rep program here next week, I'm lookin' to start ~ my bodyweight, with 205 on the bar.

Must have got something mix'd up here, the guy said he'll start with his body weight and add 5lbs every time, I got the impression that the body weight as he implied 170 was actually on the bar and I said that it wasn't a bad start, and by that I mean it is an outstanding start if he actually can do that. I wasnt advicing anybody to start the program with their bodyweight on the bar. It might be a good goal thou. And for the record I cannot do it either, and never have implied that I could. But I know what is strong, hence I told the guy that it aint a bad start at all cos he was presenting him self as a beginner and that is one strong beginner if he actually can do that. Im I making any sense?

yeah, that makes a lot more sense, now we understand each other...

If the workout you posted is your compete weight training program, then you're not doing enough volume to build any amount of muscle. If you're also MMA training and working conditioning (running, field drills, ect.) then I understand that you can't have the weight lifting volume of a bodybuilder or powerlifter but you should be training more than one particular lift for four sets of six reps.

In regards to the 20 rep squat program (have you read the book Super Squats that ironmind.com sells?) it's a good starter program but I also think that you'll achieve more benefit down the road from a 5x5 type of heavy squatting program and then combining it with other leg training.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the complete Bench Monster movie online at Hardcore Powerlifting

I really want to try 20 rep squats, I found a gym with a squat rack to try it out, but I think it's better to have short hair so you don't have to move your ponytail out of the way or worry about washing the sweat (and possibly vomit) out after these.

I really want to try 20 rep squats, I found a gym with a squat rack to try it out, but I think it's better to have short hair so you don't have to move your ponytail out of the way or worry about washing the sweat (and possibly vomit) out after these.

*is speechless*

The hair thing is not a real issue for me

lol at the 20 rep squat to not gain mass.

I followed a 20 rep squat routine for a few years (I'm sure you've read "Super Squats" by Randall Strossen). The intensity of that routine was so intense I didn't surround it with a lot of other lifts. I also didn't squat twice per week or at least not two all out 20 reppers. If done twice per week #2 would be half the weight. Mostly I opted for deads or stiff leg DL.

The way I did 20 rep squats was to take a weight that would cause me to fail at an 11th rep attempt and do 20 with that weight no matter how long it took me. I went parallel or below.
I would take breaths between each rep and by rep eight more breathing. By 10 I would be pausing at the top longer and breathing hard. By 12 and 13 maybe 10 seconds at the top. By 18 maybe a minute....whatever. You know the drill.

However this was for strength and size and my hunger was so that I ate like a madman. To do 20 rep squats for fat loss seems counter productive to me. There are better ways to lose fat and stay solid. I think 20 reps are for getting big unless you use light weight and just use it in a circuit type training. Just my opinion. The harder you lift the more your body will want food. Feed it and get bigger, don't and possibly go catabolic...I really don't know; it's not my area. But in my opinion heavy 20 rep squats are for size. To lose BF I would use non weight workouts (intervals and high intensity stuff both aerobic and anaerobic) and mix it with light weight high rep lifting. And of course watch your diet.

Just my 2 cents.

If the workout you posted is your compete weight training program, then you're not doing enough volume to build any amount of muscle. If you're also MMA training and working conditioning (running, field drills, ect.) then I understand that you can't have the weight lifting volume of a bodybuilder or powerlifter but you should be training more than one particular lift for four sets of six reps.

In regards to the 20 rep squat program (have you read the book Super Squats that ironmind.com sells?) it's a good starter program but I also think that you'll achieve more benefit down the road from a 5x5 type of heavy squatting program and then combining it with other leg training.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle

GTFO!

Holy fucking shit man. We don't want to watch your video. Fuck.

I would follow the advice of those telling you to eat big if you go through with this program. When I messed around with 20x squats, my appetite went through the fucking roof and I could put down huge amounts of food.

GTFO!

Holy fucking shit man. We don't want to watch your video. Fuck.

Aren't you from France? Are you just looking for another reason to surrender? Get off my leg bro. I don't like dudes the way you do.

You must be a big fan of the 155lb class cause you haven't won anything since Napolean was around. Take a chill G.

Sean Katterle

There is everything wrong with skinny jeans.

There we go again, bashing the denim leggings. BAN!

I think the best result from 20 rep squats is the mental decidedness. Forcing yourself through that point after rep 15 is taxing. People should really try it once in life.

I think the best result from 20 rep squats is the mental decidedness. Forcing yourself through that point after rep 15 is taxing. People should really try it once in life.

15?!

I was feeling it at rep 7 on Friday!

Back