20 oz sparring glove?

Back

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello, i just order a pair of 20oz sparring glove. I thought 20oz was a good idea because i'm a heavy hitter. I was talking with someone at the gym and he say to me nobody will do sparring with me because i have 20oz... so i don't really understand they say when i order the glove i should go with 20oz because i hit hard, but someone at the gym say nobody would sparre with my if i wear 20oz? Which size i should buy. Sorry my english suck.

Last edited:
siskoanimated.gif

20 oz gloves for sparring is a bit too much. A glove increases impact of the punch.

Basically you need to just stop hitting so hard. That's not what sparring is about, and if your partners wont spar with you, you need to tone it down a bit.

Get some 16 oz. gloves man.

What's your first language?

Hello, i just order a pair of 20oz sparring glove. I thought 20oz was a good idea because i'm a heavy hitter. I was talking with someone at the gym and he say to me nobody will do sparring with me because i have 20oz... so i don't really understand they say when i order the glove i should go with 20oz because i hit hard, but someone at the gym say nobody would sparre with my if i wear 20oz? Which size i should buy. Sorry my english suck.

You are not a heavy hitter you are just a douche. Quit being a douche and people will spare with you.

Sounds like your trainer just doesn't want to tell you that you are a douche.

siskoanimated.gif

20 oz gloves for sparring is a bit too much. A glove increases impact of the punch.

Basically you need to just stop hitting so hard. That's not what sparring is about, and if your partners wont spar with you, you need to tone it down a bit.

Bigger gloves have more padding, so actually it feels better on your opponent to be hit with 20 oz instead of 16 or 10 oz gloves. Secondly 20 oz are a lot heavier, which makes you slower, and that reduces your ability to hit hard.

That being said 20 oz is a bit too much for sparring. I don't think you will be able to box them at a high level for more than a couple rounds. Plus they are too big, it will be very hard for your oppponent to land some shots. You can easily block the shots to the face if you use a peek a boo style. That's probably why nobody will spar you.

Bigger gloves have more padding, so actually it feels better on your opponent to be hit with 20 oz instead of 16 or 10 oz gloves. Secondly 20 oz are a lot heavier, which makes you slower, and that reduces your ability to hit hard.

That being said 20 oz is a bit too much for sparring. I don't think you will be able to box them at a high level for more than a couple rounds. Plus they are too big, it will be very hard for your oppponent to land some shots. You can easily block the shots to the face if you use a peek a boo style. That's probably why nobody will spar you.

It's softer, but there's more weight upon impact, and when you add headgear into that and someone swinging for their lives like it seems TS likes to do, i can see where it would be annoying as fuck to get hit with a sock-em-bopper for a 5 minute round.

Or it makes him compensate with even more power to get more speed. That's where is could get stupid. People tend to throw more haymakers when they're wearing heavy gloves.

All that said, refusing to spar with someone solely because they're wearing 20s is insane.

i don't really understand why they wouldn't spar with you either, but regardless the easiest way to not hit as hard is to tone it down you don't need to go 110% to get better in sparring i think 90% of the time i only spar at maybe 50% power but at 100% for speed. No one gets hurt but you still develop your skills.

With all that being said if i know someone i'm spar with might always spar at 100% then i'd perfer to get tagged by a nice soft thick glove then a hard thinly padded glove.

Last edited:
I've had the same guy hit me with 14's, 16's and 20's and you DEFINITELY feel a difference. I'd much rather get hit by a 20 or an 18 since those gloves have more padding. 20's are awfully bulky though. They make it way to easy to block punches. Maybe try some 18's and focus more speed than putting a lot of power in your punches. I just bought a pair of 18oz Lonsdale gloves. They're pretty compact (compared to other 18's I've seen)

I don't understand why i'm a douche i don't hit hard on people in sparring... i got big glove because i don't want hurt people i never go 100% in sparring or try to hurt people. But sometime i just feel i have problem to use my speed because i hold a lot my punch and i tought with 20oz i will be able to hold a little less without hurting people. Anyway thanks for your answer.

Last edited:
It's softer, but there's more weight upon impact...
This does not compute.

Anyway, the guy who told you "nobody will want to spar with you" is talking out of his ass. Ask your coach.

im an amateur, so take it for what it is, but I have sparred in 12oz, 16oz and 20oz and I never felt much of a difference between the 3.

I don't understand why i'm a douche i don't hit hard on people in sparring... i got big glove because i don't want hurt people i never go 100% in sparring or try to hurt people. But sometime i just feel i have problem to use my speed because i hold a lot my punch and i tought with 20oz i will be able to hold a little less without hurting people. Anyway thanks for your answer.

If i had a club right now i'd be promoting our 20oz gloves to everyone, hell i'm currently playing with the idea of a compact 3inch thick glove that i hope will be great for going all out, while still not hurting anyone not even someone's 80yr old grandma :)

as i stated above i feel you still can develop greatly from only going 50% during sparring, the problem is if your always pulling your punches each and every time you spar you will start to develop some bad habits, like you'll never know what it's like to have real pressure on you, or you'll get a false sense of balance-control from your punches that miss the target, if you never really commit to your punches, your always in perfect balance and need little adjustment to evade, move, counter or keep pressing forward, but when you start driving into someone with your punches it's a totally different feel especially when opponent parries or slips one of your punches, as you may be off balance for a split second, which is something you may never feel if you never commit to hard sparring every once and a while.

so i think it's a good idea to go with a bigger glove

im an amateur, so take it for what it is, but I have sparred in 12oz, 16oz and 20oz and I never felt much of a difference between the 3.

All gloves are different, i think what's more important is the style of the glove first and foremost, getting hit in the face with a glove that was hard as a rock it wouldn't matter if it was an 8oz glove or a 24oz glove it would still suck to get hit by it.

Go with normal 16oz gloves, much better.

The other problem, which was kind of referenced by someone earlier, with 20oz gloves is that you may begin to rely too much on that giant pad for defense. In fight you don't have the pillows to shield your face you better be moving. If you get used to being lazy (i.e. develop bad habits) with head movement (because of the big gloves) that will get you clobbered when you don't have them on.

The other problem, which was kind of referenced by someone earlier, with 20oz gloves is that you may begin to rely too much on that giant pad for defense. In fight you don't have the pillows to shield your face you better be moving. If you get used to being lazy (i.e. develop bad habits) with head movement (because of the big gloves) that will get you clobbered when you don't have them on.

your completely right 90% of the 20oz or bigger gloves out there are fairly wide and can offer i little to much protection.

That doesn't make much sense. 20 oz gloves weigh you down more and you'd be slower, and more concentrating on form rather than power, (which is what sparring is for anyway)

but what matters more is the style of glove that weighs 20 oz.

For example, 20 oz grant feel different than 20 oz Ring to cage gloves. Like their safety training gloves that has 3" of foam, as opposed to grant or reyes which are much more compact.

Safety gloves are generally soft and you wouldn't have a problem hitting someone with them, but a mexican style gloves are different. you have to look at the style/ materials. not just the weight.

That doesn't make much sense. 20 oz gloves weigh you down more and you'd be slower, and more concentrating on form rather than power, (which is what sparring is for anyway)

but what matters more is the style of glove that weighs 20 oz.

For example, 20 oz grant feel different than 20 oz Ring to cage gloves. Like their safety training gloves that has 3" of foam, as opposed to grant or reyes which are much more compact.

Safety gloves are generally soft and you wouldn't have a problem hitting someone with them, but a mexican style gloves are different. you have to look at the style/ materials. not just the weight.

And you dug up this year old thread because? necro much?:icon_neut

siskoanimated.gif

Try to work technique, speed and gameplan.
Ofthen it's best to get out your ways (out of your zone of comfort) to become better.

Back