20 mile bike ride? Can I get ready in a month?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Deltafarce, May 12, 2014.

1. Deltafarce

Deltafarce Green Belt

I've just started riding a bike to try and get in shape without the hi Impact of running. One of my friends took notice and invited me on his ride with his friends it's 20 miles and they aren't really hardcore riders but ride a little every weekend.

I rode 4 miles then yesterday rode 6.5 miles at a 7 mph pace which I realize is super slow. I rode again today and did 4 miles at about the same pace but I was exhausted

Any tips on working up to 20?

2. trainharder

trainharder Green Belt

Crossfit Endurance. Give that a try. Then let us know how you did with the training.

But seriously I don't know anything about training for a long ride. I've been riding that distance and further, but didn't train for it. Google might be a good resource. Seven MPH is crazy slow though lol.

3. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

20 miles is a social ride if it's not race pace. It's highly likely that you could do 10 miles tomorrow. Submaximal two a days and you should be able to complete 20 miles. Not like crazy fast or anything, but you should be able to do it. You don't even need any kind of special training template. 3 to 7 miles twice a day (like commuting to work) should be fine for average population. If you're in better overall condition(play other sports) or speed is a concern, I can probably find a novice template

4. Deltafarce

Deltafarce Green Belt

Yeah about the pace, pretty bad huh? I'll see if I can pick it up. I did take a few breaks so I'm sure that's not helping either

5. jrams

jrams Red Belt

Bike more often, slower and longer. Work that long, slow, distance cardio as many days a week that you can fathom.

6. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

7mph is painfully slow dude.

No offense.

what sort of bike are you on? what sort of shape are you in?, I dont think theres any reason to ride 2x a day, Id just ride hard 3x per week and try longer and longer rides over the weekend. 20 miles on a bike is something you should be able to jump up and do.

7. Stupafied

Stupafied Super Serial

Not sure what to say bud 20 miles is not something u need to train for unless you have a time in mind. I did 50km on my mountain bike in the early spring 7 years ago and i was super out of shape and i did not even ride my bike before that. It will just be a mental thing to keep pushing there is no reason to have a hard time off it. Maybe your bike is not lubricated well?

8. Misfit1

Misfit1 Blue Belt

The only thing you'd need to do to make sure you'd make it the 20 is invest in a good seat. I do 10 every Saturday in about 50 minutes just to get some outside alone time and the only issue I have is my seat is uncomfortable.

9. CarbonFistprint

CarbonFistprint Brown Belt

7 mph is an 8:30 mile.

Most people can jog that. No offense, but just how far out of shape are you, TS?

What kind of bike are we talking?

10. GoatyP

GoatyP Blue Belt

Not sure what shape you are in but the average person can do a 50 mile ride without any training as long as you take breaks. Years ago, my wife and I both did a 55 mile ride on rental bikes. She was not physically active at the time. 20 miles is really a casual ride.

11. bdawk

bdawk Yellow Belt

Yup!

Is this a single speed beach cruiser we are talking about. Something seems off here.

12. Bulkhead

Bulkhead White Belt

Apart from the fitness aspect of it you can:

learn when to use your gears
    find a good cadence (rate of pedaling)
    find some way to reduce air resistance
    fix up the bike (oil, check tires, etc)
    learn when to bike sitting/standing up

what do you do biking uphill?

13. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

Just keep riding. 20 miles is really very achievable at 10+ mph for a normal person.

14. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Yup...Ive done 100 mile races averaging closer to 25mph.

Last edited: May 15, 2014