2 years later, 1 year of training, almost no results?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Niels, Sep 4, 2019.

1. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

You
    Please post the test boosting ingredients in mega men and tell me how they increase test levels to an ideal range and why doctors are choosing to use testosterone injections instead of a cheap multivitamin.

If youre not trolling then youre just naive/retarded. Your coworker is fooling you if you think a $30 jar of multivitamins is doing that. Hes either

A)lying about his test levels
    B)lying about what hes actually taking
    C)both

Sorry bro youre really just making yourself seem uneducated and gullible

Brandon Wilson likes this.
  2. j-boxing

j-boxing Human, all too human

I agree that you look like you've almost gained no muscle.

You require a serious hypertrophy program incorporating meaningful progressive overload.

Your current training regime is obviously defective. You seem to have not even achieved newbie gains.

A 19 year-old beginner - even a hard-gainer beginner - should get better results than that after one year of training.

Since you're a beginner, almost any mainstream hypertrophy program pursued seriously 5 days per week should deliver significant newbie gains.

And then there's diet. But on the basis of what you've said in this thread so far, I think you mostly need to get serious about your program.

dannysmith and wufabufa like this.
  3. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

Combining it with my Muay-Thai classes was difficult because my shoulders seemed to be overexhausted a lot

I've increased weights since the first answers on this post and I don't lift that much less than one of my friends of similar stature who's been lifting for years now, except he does 12 reps and I do 8-10.

He has a reached a pretty athletic physique, but nothing over the top and weighs about 5kg's more than me but has a bit less fat too I think.

I also haven't seen much change in physique since I started doing muay Thai, shouldn't I have gotten a bit more muscular just by doing muay-Thai 2 to 3 times a week for 2 hours?

j-boxing likes this.
  4. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

Have you seen muay thai fighters?

90% of them are skinny twinks and they train hours a day every day.

Muay thai wont build much muscle at all.

Also just because your friend lifts slightly more weight for more reps doesnt mean that he will only be slightly bigger.

I can deadlift over 500lbs for reps but my friend who pulls 400 for reps is bigger than me.

Strength=/= size and size =/= strength. Theres a direct correlation but correlation does not equal causation

j-boxing and wufabufa like this.
  5. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

Fuckin' eat, fuck!

Phlog and wufabufa like this.
  6. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

Eat and fuck... Got it

j-boxing and NurseKnuckles like this.
  7. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

Yeah and a lot of kickboxers are ripped af, Thai people aren't very big in general so...

8. j-boxing

Mate, I really don't think there's much more to say about your case.

You're a beginner. If you want bigger muscles, pick a mainstream hypertrophy program with meaningful progressive overload and train hard 5 days a week. You're 100% guaranteed to reap newbie gains, even if you're a hard-gainer.

I would recommend against basing your training on superficial observations of kickboxers. You have no idea what any particular kickboxer's total training and diet regime actually comprises.

You do kickboxing only 2 days a week. It is highly probable that the kickboxers you've been looking at train 5-6 days per week on a program you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    wufabufa likes this.
  9. wufabufa

wufabufa Black Belt

[​IMG]

Pretty sure this was done within 4 months. TRX bands, cold showers, drinking your own piss, overhead deadlifts, and barbell flies till failure is really all you need. 2 days per week of amateur training is more than enough stimuli to produce results within a year.

corpse, j-boxing and dannysmith like this.
  10. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

Bro you're the one in here who has gotten 0 results and is built like a teenage girl so i would drop whatever you think you know about diet and training and take the advice from the people in this thread (not just my advice) who look like theyve touched a weight before because right now if i had to imagine your physique in any particular workplace, youd be a barista in my mind.

11. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

Haha jeez, no wonder you spend all that time lifting weights. If you're that sensitive, you're either on roids or have the same dicksize as that teenage girl you're talking about.

Your replies on here have been based on arrogant self-approval.

And I know plenty of people built like a teenage girl that would kick your ass.

Why are you even on Sherdog if you're only trying to boost your ego and seem to know nothing about martial art-training itself?

12. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

Here's my updated workout program

Monday and Friday

Chest:
    3 sets of dumbell bench-press (16kg/ dumbell)
    3 sets of incline dumbell bench-press (14kg/dumbell)
    3 sets of fly's (10kg/dumbell)
    3 sets of barbell bench press (45,5kg)

Bicep:
    3 sets of incline seated bicep curls (10kg/dumbell)
    3 sets of EZ bar bicep curls (28,15kg)
    3 sets of hammer curls (10kg/dumbell)

Wednesday and Sunday

Shoulders:
    3 sets of Arnold presses (12kg/dumbell)
    3 sets of lateral dumbell raises (6kg/dumbell)

Traps:
    4 sets of shrugs

Triceps:
    3 sets of skullcrushers (EZ bar) (20,15 kg)
    3 sets of skullcrushers (dumbell) (8 kg/dumbell)

13. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

And your posts have been based off of self pity. Why post a thread asking how to get bigger if youre going to blame it on genetics when its your work ethic?

wufabufa likes this.
  14. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

I've changed my work ethic. Nowhere did I blame it on genetics, I just asked about it.

15. j-boxing

I would strongly encourage you to introduce deadlifts and/or squats as key components of your program. To be honest, mate, it amazes me that you've ignored not just one but both of those major muscle-building exercises.

I would also reduce the volume of targeted bicep work. The biceps are relatively small muscles. You'd be much better served using that energy on big compound pulls involving the biceps, like chin-ups, underhand barbell rows, landmine rows, or whatever.

Your program contains zero legwork. This relates to my point above about deadlifts and squats. But more generally it makes me doubt whether you and your friend(s) have put much thought into what you're doing other than "let's hit the weights and get jacked!"

Brandon Wilson likes this.
  16. Niels

Niels Blue Belt

I train at home in the attic with a low ceiling and relatively small space, so those exercises aren't the best idea to do also fuck deadlifts, I've heard a lot of hernia - stories due to deadlifts

17. wufabufa

wufabufa Black Belt

If your goal is shoulder impingement and terrible forward head/rounded shoulder posture then this looks perfect. Without any upper body pulling movements your back is going to be comically small and week. You've got nothing to balance out all of the horizontal adduction and internal rotation you're putting your shoulders through.... and if you're trying to fill out a shirt and look bigger your back is 100% going to give that appearance more than your chest. I won't address your complete lack of leg work since you've already gotten plenty of heat for it.

[​IMG]

Something simple as shit like Reg Parks 5x5 would serve you better than your own homebrewed program. Both in terms of physique and performance during Thai boxing. You're on your path to Curl Bro City right now.

18. j-boxing

Ok - so you have just confirmed that you have absolutely no idea what you're doing and you're not genuinely interested in rectifying that state of affairs.

A low ceiling does not prevent you from performing deadlifts, squats, barbell rows, or landmine rows. They do not involve lifting anything high above your head. If you can stand straight in your workout space (which you can... right?), then you can perform them.

Is your remark about deadlifts intended seriously or as a joke? If seriously, I would reply that any exercise performed with excessively heavy weight and/or bad technique puts you at risk of injury. And if you really can't abide deadlifts, then just do squats.

In any event, since you're apparenly uninterested in the reasonable, mostly non-controversial advice you're receiving here, why are you wasting our time as well as your own?

You've got your bro-program with its obligatory bicep fanaticism. So off you go... hit the weights and get jacked, bro.

Brandon Wilson and wufabufa like this.
  19. dannysmith

dannysmith Blue Belt

I can get on board with skipping deadlifts if your goal is to improve for muay thai. At a certain point the risk/reward may not be worth it depending on how youre built.

There are no mandatory exercises, but squats, bench press and overhead press can take you very far.

If you want to lift 4x a week and gain some size while doing muay thai, i would personally set it up like this:

Monday
    Squat, 3 sets
    Barbell bench press, 3 sets
    Barbell row, 3 sets
    Lateral raises, 3 sets
    Biceps, 3 sets

Wednesday
    Overhead press, 3 sets
    Pullups, 3 sets
    Single leg squat variation, 3 sets
    Triceps, 3 sets

Friday
    Squat, 3 sets
    Dumbbell incline bench press, 3 sets
    Dumbbell row, 3 sets
    Pullups (weighted), 3 sets
    Biceps, 3 sets

Sunday
    Dumbbell overhead press, 3 sets
    Lateral raises, 3 sets
    Triceps, 3 sets
    Single leg squat variation, 3 sets

Add weight or reps every week, when you cant progress with either, add 1 set to your main exercises.

Youll be fine doing this. Theres plenty of variety and ways to switch up your curl and tricep work, while hitting them frequently but theres not too much volume you cant recover if youre eating how youre supposed to.

This is assuming all your conditioning work is coming from Muay Thai. If youre doing conditioning work outside of muay thai then you may need to reduce volume based on your own recovery, but this seems quite doable and well balanced to me.

Theres my helping hand without a roast

20. j-boxing

This.

wufabufa likes this.